Son's new career path, pretty proud father

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father
Talking with my son last night.

He said he was at the mess hall having dinner (he's going through AIT now or whatever the AF calls it) and he heard his first name called out that got his attention. Turns out it was a classmate of his last year in high school (who I know because this other airman was friends with my other son). The other kid went in 2 months before my son, and they have totally different MOS's.

My son seems to know he is blessed. His first duty station tentatively is in South Carolina which means he can grab his own car and drive it back to base when he finally gets leave (and we can get it out of our driveway LOL) and his old high school classmate is going to Korea.

Son was hoping for a first assignment overseas when he first went in, but he's come to the realization that being able to make a 4-5 hour drive home if he wants to on his first assignment isn't that bad of a gig after all LOL

Like I told him, he's out of state and far enough away from us, but he's NOT to far away LOL

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #82  
Nice! My brother retired out of Shaw AFB, SC. My kids and I went to the ceremony. It wasn't bad. As an AF Brat, I've seen my share of bases.

Did he stay at Lackland for AIT or elsewhere? Can you share his AFSC? (MOS)

It is pretty exciting to see your kids make these steps into adulthood. Sounds like he's pretty squared away. You have every right to be proud.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #83  
My brother was at Lackland

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #84  
My brother was at Lackland
Lackland is the USAF's sole location for basic training for enlisted personnel. They all start there.

When dad went in (early days of AF history), there was a problem with housing or something and they shipped his class from Lackland to Sheppard (Wichita Falls, TX) to complete basic training. Oddly enough, my brother's first assignment after the Academy was to Sheppard for his job training (aircraft maintenance officer).

The AFSC training can be at 4 different bases (5 different training wings, 2 of them at Lackland). Both officers and enlisted get this training (in most cases).

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #85  
What a great story! I can remember well when I enlisted and all the fear and excitement I had before I left. Then, that turned into straight fear the day I arrived at boot camp lol.

Both of my grandfathers served in the navy, my dad was army, I was navy and so was my son. My son was in a very elite program in the navy and has went on to a very elite state department position because of his military training. at 30, he's living a life I could have only dreamed of.

It certainly makes us proud to see our children succeed. I wish your son all the best!

Lackland is the USAF's sole location for basic training for enlisted personnel. They all start there.

When dad went in (early days of AF history), there was a problem with housing or something and they shipped his class from Lackland to Sheppard (Wichita Falls, TX) to complete basic training. Oddly enough, my brother's first assignment after the Academy was to Sheppard for his job training (aircraft maintenance officer).

The AFSC training can be at 4 different bases (5 different training wings, 2 of them at Lackland). Both officers and enlisted get this training (in most cases).
Lackland is it for basic after they shut Sampson down (where my father went). Ironically enough, mom went to Lackland around 1953 when my dad went to Sampson in 1952.

The year my dad died, me and the boy took a weeklong trip to the finger lake region to visit that AFB museum. Glad we did.

Nice! My brother retired out of Shaw AFB, SC. My kids and I went to the ceremony. It wasn't bad. As an AF Brat, I've seen my share of bases.

It is pretty exciting to see your kids make these steps into adulthood. Sounds like he's pretty squared away. You have every right to be proud.
He's staying at Lackland for AIT.

I don't understand the MOS system in the air force, at least when it comes to my son.

When I enlisted, I knew right off the bat what my MOS was going to be before going in.

I do know my son didn't get his first pick, and the reality is he didn't know what his MOS was going to be until the day after graduation. Do know his old high school classmate is in "Security Forces". Here I always thought is was the "Air Police" LOL

He's in logistics and supply. At first he was kind of bummed because he wanted something mechanical, but the more he learned about what the job entails, he's kind of happy he got it.

Like I told him, do good, give 130%, and it's on the next re up where if he does a good job and wants to stay in, that's when his options should open.

Part of my advice to him was in a letter I sent to him while he was in basic (and he did struggle his first two weeks because although he was skinny, he NEVER worked out even when we suggested he should, and he did get a certificate as being the most improved airman in his flight after graduation)...

MBL.png

My dad spent around 22 or so years in the Air Force so I was kind of used to some bases myself lol

At some point in my fathers career he was SAC, so that’s one reason why am very familiar with the Northeast as a kid growing up.

What I find funny is all those bases we lived on as a family are now closed, and everything has gone down to the south apparently.

I need to look it up, not even sure there is a Strategic Air Command anymore.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #89  
Sig, that looks like a great letter that others may borrow for passing on to their youngins.

Daughter who went into to Air Force from ROTC, was always involved with space/rockets. She has since been transferred into Space Force. She knows an AF airman that was stationed in Korea and has since been tranferred to Alaska. His family has is/has been with him in both locations. Daughter and family plan on visiting them in Alaska this summer before he leaves. Jon

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #90  
Where will he be assigned in SC? Shaw?