Solar goes positive.

/ Solar goes positive.
As a general contractor, I installed my 7.5 kw system for under $14K. I bought wholesale and that of course did not include my labor or equipment costs. Markup is huge if you’re paying someone else. Being in the desert, my system produces 15.5 Mw per year.

/ Solar goes positive. #12  
Yes - 14K was the cost of materials for my 7.2KW system - the rest was wiring, installation, permits 5 year warranty and profit. Three guys did it in two days on the garage roof. So 42 hours install labor plus maybe 8 hours of permit/paperwork or 50 hours for $12K = 240/hour, a handsome profit.

When I looked at the bigger picture, though, the $9K tax credit, and $4K state rebate, effectively this paid for the installation - it we bought the system had an electrician and roofer to mount the panels we could have saved $7K.

/ Solar goes positive. #13  
I’m not sure they said I can’t turn it on till then. They said they’re changing my meter and adding another one.
Before our final inspection by the electric company, which was scheduled for the following day after completion, our system had been turned on briefly in the morning to test it and inadvertently was left on by the installer. The electric company called that afternoon and had me turn it off, they could see it sending power back to em'. Spooky they could pick out my little solar system out of ALL the power in their lines.

Anyway from what the power company inspector told me all of their meters were already compliant for adding solar, a decision they made hoping more people would add it. Which I think was a bit of b/s since when they upgraded the meters they also stopped sending meter readers around.

/ Solar goes positive. #14  
The current output of our 7.5 array. Produces about 9 mega-watt-hours per year.
1709480779046.png

Net out-of-pocket cost was $9,400 in 2019.

/ Solar goes positive. #15  
My chicken coups have solar setups.

Combined they do 80watts peaks.

/ Solar goes positive.
Yes - 14K was the cost of materials for my 7.2KW system - the rest was wiring, installation, permits 5 year warranty and profit. Three guys did it in two days on the garage roof. So 42 hours install labor plus maybe 8 hours of permit/paperwork or 50 hours for $12K = 240/hour, a handsome profit.

When I looked at the bigger picture, though, the $9K tax credit, and $4K state rebate, effectively this paid for the installation - it we bought the system had an electrician and roofer to mount the panels we could have saved $7K.
My system is a ground mount in a 120 MPH wind zone (desert). Footings would hold up a small building and rail system is heavy. It adds about 25% more cost than roof mount.

My cost was all in for everything, design permits etc.

Last edited: