Solar Farm #2, dangers involved.

/ Solar Farm #2, dangers involved. #141  
In Washington State we have a new law that allows a state board to overrule any local ordinances and zoning if "green power" is involved. So it is legal to do this, becasue its the law here.
We are the same here in NY state. Anything over 25Mw doesn't get local review, the state reviews it. Local zoning is considered, but they don't get a say. 94-C is the renewable siting process for us.

/ Solar Farm #2, dangers involved.
In response to HayDude's 50% devaluation claim, that is utter nonsense. I'd like to see the data, please.

A very recent study of almost 2 million home sales sets the devaluation at 1.5% for homes within 1/2 mile of a commercial installation, homes further away than .5 miles saw no impact. In CT and CA having commercial solar as a neighbor had no impact on valuation.

In CT or CA did any of the homes sit on a half acre lot with panels on all four sides so that when you look out a window all you see are solar panels? We have numerous chicken and hog production facilities in our area and there is a slight devaluation if one is within a quarter mile or so. By law they must be 1000' from the PROPERTY LINES. Can you understand the difference in 1000' from the property lines and 300' from a residence? What the families involved are trying to do is get the state law to stand and not be overruled by the county government.

This is a dumb question, but are there any requirements on a minimum amount of land that is required to have one of these solar panel facilities?

100 yards away from a residential property line does not sound unreasonable to make it palatable for the people living in the area.

Both my neighbors are about 100 yards away from my house on each side, but neither have the land available to make an endeavor like this type of installation feasible IMO.

Once again, it is not 100 yards from the property line. It is 100 yards from the residence, that is the house the neighbors live in. One of the maps, that I did not get to see, at the first meeting with the company had neat circles drawn around the houses at 100 yards. Panels would be against the property lines outside of those circles.

/ Solar Farm #2, dangers involved. #144  
In CT or CA did any of the homes sit on a half acre lot with panels on all four sides so that when you look out a window all you see are solar panels? We have numerous chicken and hog production facilities in our area and there is a slight devaluation if one is within a quarter mile or so. By law they must be 1000' from the PROPERTY LINES. Can you understand the difference in 1000' from the property lines and 300' from a residence? What the families involved are trying to do is get the state law to stand and not be overruled by the county government.
I would think that a "solar farm" where the end user is making money from the use of their land would be zoned commercial use.

Seems like it's your town or county zoning board you need to address this issue with?

I would think, and I could be wrong, but something like that would be put up for a town / county vote?

Just be nice. My dad was on his local zoning board and he was a pretty good man who used common sense, but listening to him about his experience, seemed everyone was screaming at him LOL

I will also add that they do not use the tier 1 panels that have a low degradation rate. which will last 30 to 40 years. Tier 1 panels typically have a 0.25% degradation per year.

Cheaper technology has a higher degradation rate and the panels will need to be cleaned up or changed out sooner.

Do you want panels installed that still produce 92 % of rated capacity (warranteed) after 25 years or one that produce 84% of rated (or less) capacity after 20 years?
Each installation is 33% paid by tax dollars (your money and my money), shouldn't we have a voice in this.

• According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, statistics for acceptable construction errors for solar, wind, geothermal, biomass, and other electric power generation are ~5.3%. So, conservatively 5.3% of the 270,000 panels Greengo said Banjo Creek would have is approximately 14,310 panels that should be expected to be defective from the factory. Defective panels leach lead arsenic and cadmium into the ground, classifying them as Hazardous Waste as defined by the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA).
  • Sources:
  • BLS: All Employees Standard Error Tables /
Leaching: End-of-Life Solar Panels: Regulations and Management | US EPA.

This is one of the items that is scaring people. I recently talked to an Environmental Engineer employed at one of the largest manufactures in Western Kentucky. According the them the facility they work at did all the preliminary work to install a multi acre 'solar farm' on property the company owned. This person was all for it and pushing for it until they researched the problems. Her description of the panels was, and I quote, "NASTY"! Said that after researching the installation the company decided the minimal savings in power cost would be overcome by the cost required to clean up the site and keep ground and water contamination within regulations.

I would think that a "solar farm" where the end user is making money from the use of their land would be zoned commercial use.

Seems like it's your town or county zoning board you need to address this issue with?

I would think, and I could be wrong, but something like that would be put up for a town / county vote?

Just be nice. My dad was on his local zoning board and he was a pretty good man who used common sense, but listening to him about his experience, seemed everyone was screaming at him LOL

Our county is not zoned.

/ Solar Farm #2, dangers involved. #147  
In the UK, a company heats a swimming pool with heat from the computers......very innovative. (y)

We need forward thinking like this instead of the same partisan hate, conspiracy theories, and finger pointing if we are to solve problems like energy dependence.

Small But Powerful: Tiny Data Centre Heats UK Swimming Pool - News18
Our local city conservatory partnered with a local business to put a small data center next to it. They heat the desert greenhouse with the computers next door. Win-win for both. City gets free heat and data center gets free cooling.

/ Solar Farm #2, dangers involved. #148  
This is a dumb question, but are there any requirements on a minimum amount of land that is required to have one of these solar panel facilities?

100 yards away from a residential property line does not sound unreasonable to make it palatable for the people living in the area.

Both my neighbors are about 100 yards away from my house on each side, but neither have the land available to make an endeavor like this type of installation feasible IMO.
I can see his point. It's not 100 yards from the property line, it's 100 yards from the house. That being said, it doesn't make any noise, it's not hogs, it's not smokestacks. Come to an agreement with them and have them plant a few rows of windbreak around the facility. I'd rather have a solar farm than a housing development next door.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Solar Farm #2, dangers involved. #150  
I can see his point. It's not 100 yards from the property line, it's 100 yards from the house. That being said, it doesn't make any noise, it's not hogs, it's not smokestacks. Come to an agreement with them and have them plant a few rows of windbreak around the facility. I'd rather have a solar farm than a housing development next door.
No, I get it. I thought it was mentioned this area was 1200 acres, but I'm not certain.

For as much as we don't like regulation, this is a good example IMO of why counties should have zoning.

Our county is pretty rural, but we even have a planning and zoning board.

At the end of the day, 100 yards from the nearest property line sounds more than reasonable to appease anyone living near the property line, particularly for what I would consider a "commercial" application.

I had to look. Our county actually has something on the books with solar farms.

SOLAR.png

Last edited: