Snowblowing rules of thumb

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #151  
The first time I used a walk behind snowblower I got my driveway cleaned out nicely. Just as I got inside and got my coat taken off the state plow went by winging the snowbanks back, filling it back in again. I learned that day to blow it out on the downstream side of the driveway.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #152  
I always blow away 20' or so to the upstream side, removing snow from where the blade would pick it up. I always wait until the Snowplow has passed before SnowBlowing my Driveway

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #154  
I always blow away 20' or so to the upstream side, removing snow from where the blade would pick it up. I always wait until the Snowplow has passed before SnowBlowing my Driveway
I now do that with my bucket, pushing the snow bank back to the tree line for about 100 feet before my driveway. It was pretty difficult to do though when I was living on a state highway and all that I had was a 9hp snow blower. ;)

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #155  
Defensive snow management. I also clear the upstream bank to my property line at an angle, about 75'. I'll also clear the snow out of the road if the plow has not gone through depending on how much is there. Really dislike needing to go back out after I've put my tractor away just to move what the plow pushed in.

The plow drivers here can be, well, pricks, but not to everyone. The guys that do my road tend to swing wide around my driveway because of the way I take care of it. They don't do this for some of my neighbors that push up big banks close to their driveway and road or across the road. I've seen them swing wide for me and then swing back in for the neighbor and push a 3 foot bank back across the end for them to move. It seems that if you make their life easier they will return the favor but if you make their life harder they will do the same.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #156  
I always plow the road on the plowing side enough so that even if they push the snow from the blade it's gone off the blade by the time they get to my driveway area. Seems to work for me that way and I never end up with any pile at the end of the driveway sides either.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #157  
How about Stay on good terms with the paperboy?
Paper boy through out all papers in a storm once, Could not see it, Alot of people broke the safty bolt

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #158  
My first rule of thumb is making sure blower shoot turns by hand and not frozen in ice, learned that the hard way a few times , but cleaning all the snow off after is a good idea

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #159  
Know your area. Check Oil. Fresh Fuel. New Filter. Adjust height. No need to scrape to bare pavement/gravel. Wait until the plow goes by and run Blower up the oncoming traffic shoulder side to clear the snow left by the plow so his blade is near empty at your laneway. Wait until the Wind stops. Blow snow towards South and East. Less drifting for you. Buy a canopy cab for your walk-behind Snowblower. So nice.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #160  
Only one rule of thumb for me and snowblowing -

Don’t do it, snowplows are way more fun:
IMG_4243.jpeg