Snowblowing rules of thumb

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #131  
First snows of the year (in this area) are usually wet and packy, with unfrozen ground….. I’m yearning for -20. Keep a shovel with long handle onboard!

Attachments

• 91703067-6811-41FD-A74F-010D54A84A7D.jpeg
    91703067-6811-41FD-A74F-010D54A84A7D.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 250
   / Snowblowing rules of thumb #132  
First snows of the year (in this area) are usually wet and packy, with unfrozen ground….. I’m yearning for -20. Keep a shovel with long handle onboard!
Woke up this AM to find everything white!
But it is that kind of sticky snow white, about 4 inches of it.

Ground is no way near close to be frozen and my car winter tires are still in the shed and my appointment to install snows on my car is tomorrow PM.

OK, car is all wheel drive but I have no space to get a run at the hill so guess it'll be slip/slide my way out.
Love (not) early winter 1st snows.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #133  
My personal snow blowing rule: No cab, no snow blower.

I believe God created snow plows just for that reason. ;)
My personal feeling is.... If we have appreciable snowfall, I call the guy down the road with a plow truck and pay him 20 bucks to plow out the the drives. I'd spend at least that much in diesel doing it myself and I can stay inside and watch. Had enough of this...

Attachments

• 100_0003.JPG
    100_0003.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 210
   / Snowblowing rules of thumb #134  
I have a 300 meters private road. Takes about 15 minutes to blow it. One pass going out, one pass coming back in. Done. Now with my electric actuator to move the chute up/down, no need to get out of the tractor. It's gonna be even easier than last year

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #136  
My personal feeling is.... If we have appreciable snowfall, I call the guy down the road with a plow truck and pay him 20 bucks to plow out the the drives.

That only works so far.

* When you have 6-10' of snow in a year the snowbanks get so high that what is plowed just falls back down behind the plow.
* Even with more moderate snowfall, say 4-6', the snow from parking areas/turn-arounds etc has to be pushed somewhere. Unless you have LOTS of paved/graded area this typically ends up being on lawn space. Which generally ends up getting torn up and needing renewal come spring.

Snowblowing eliminates both of the above issues. Yes, snowblowing is almost always slower, but you only ever have to do it once. Add to that - you never get sight line issues at the end of the driveway...

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #137  
The 3 sided Canopy makes Snowblowing very pleasant. I fashioned an old 12VDC battery drill to the chute shaft and with a DPDT switch rotate the chute with fingertips. Lawn Tractor battery also powers rotating blue light and rear red LED display. Because I can. 10 overnight in Ontario Canada North of Hamilton.

Attachments

• DSCF2958.JPG
    DSCF2958.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 152
   / Snowblowing rules of thumb #138  
I have a 3 sided "cab" on my snow blower also. Makes a HUGE difference in comfort level for me when getting rid of snow. I also "cobbled" together an air collector off the front of the engine and have it ducted to the front window of the cab. The warm air off the engine does wonders keeping the front window clear.

I have to keep the end of the driveway open. Usually it is at night. While I have a headlight, there was no rear illumination. Not being as energetic, I simply tie wrap a couple of bicycle LED tail lights to the upright posts of the cab. I set one to flash, the other to steady light to provide some warning behind me that I am in the road with the snow blower.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #139  
================================================================================================

Hello check,

I looked at a can of snow go a few weeks ago and I just cringed reading the ingredients and I said I cannot let my friends use this stuff.
I am glad you changed your mind, your lungs will thank you for it.
I have used fluid film in the past, but got a wild hare this year. I got a bunch of wax from candle stubs, and heated the chute, impeller and anger with my propane torch just enough to melt the wax as I rubbed it over those parts. Didn't get it hot enough to bother the paint. I'm hoping the wax stays put better than the fluid film. it sure feels awful slick now.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #140  
As I often travel between drives I manage for friends ad family, I have learned to secret away in the cab - behind the seat - a plastic peanut butter jar [emptied and cleaned] that now contains multiples of every sheer bolt, keyway, patent link of every shaft an chain my blower uses, plus a couple zip ties for loose tire chain couplers....saves a l o n g walk back to the barn.
last weekend: 53" east of Watertown, New York.