Snow Equipment Buying/Pricing Snowblower gearbox

/ Snowblower gearbox #1  

dslanec

Silver Member
Tractor
CUB/YANMAR SX 3100
Bought a used bl 2563 Kubota rear blower this fall. I put it to its first heavy use today. The blower was working great. Then I backed up into a pile of snow to hard and the auger quit spinning. I pulled it in my garage to change out a shear bolt and thankfully I picked some extra ones up. Well neither shear bolt was busted and the auger still wouldn't move. When I removed the shear bolts I realized 1 of the previous owners used regular bolts not shear bolts. Needless to say instead of a dollar shear bolt I broke the $1200 gear box. I guess I should of replaced the bolts when I first got it to make sure but I never thought someone would do that. Does anyone know where I could find a used gear box anywhere? Or have any ideas for me. To just buy the gear only kit is over $700. I am really bummed about this. I have over $800 into this blower and now it's just a counter weight. Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

image-4118591688.jpg

image-806041784.jpg

/ Snowblower gearbox #2  
What's turning and what's not?

Besides the auger shear bolts, there's typically a shear bolt on the impeller drive to check as well.

If it's definitely the gearbox, have you split it to see what's going on inside?

/ Snowblower gearbox
The fan is turning. The shaft going into gearbox is turning. The auger is not turning. Power is being input into the gearbox but not coming out of it. I haven't tried anything yet. I just figure it's unfixable but maybe I'm wrong? Guess I have nothing to lose by splitting gearbox. I have never done anything like that but I think I could figure it out?

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Snowblower gearbox #4  
In for a penny in for a pound,

1. If you have tools remove the gearbox
or use a good mirror and flashlight to
find the ID tag.

Call Boston Gear in the morning with the
tag information and you should have a new
gearbox on its way to you shortly.

Just be sure to tell them;
the bolt pattern-distance between holes
the shaft diameter and the keyway width and length for both shafts
whether the output shaft is left or right facing
and the input speed of 540 rpm.

If you could send them Images of the old one that will speed things along for you.

Splitting a gearbox like this is a butts ugly proposition as you will most likely need a new shaft
or shafts, two new seals, and seal retainers if it has them , bevel cut gears if the shafts and gears
are a two piece arrangement.

Many of the same gearboxes are used for rototillers, flail mowers, stone burrier's etc.

See if the tag is still there before you do anything and you may just be able to get
a gearbox shipped to you from Boston Gear by bus or UPS .

It takes lot to kill a gearbox, so the previous owner was not upfront with his operating habits

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++EEDIT to add:

Now that my computer is showing your images UGH

you have a worm gear driven cross auger UGH.

CALL RAD in Canada(The builder of the snow caster)
and ask to speak to someone in engineering to get
information about the gear box and order a new
one from Boston Gear.

/ Snowblower gearbox #5  
If the gearbox isn't making crunchy noises when you turn it, that's a good sign :c). There's a work gear in there, so normally the input turns easily, but if you try to turn the augers, they will not turn the input shaft. Can you turn the augers? If they do turn through a part of their rotation, and then stop, hold them in that position while trying to rotate the input, if the augers start working, that would indicate teeth stripped off the driven gear.

True, nothing lost is splitting it. You may find that there's a replaceable part sheared or stripped. If you don't have a service manual, you might be able to find the info on-line . . . though I think they are stone simple. If no gasket, then clean surfaces and reassemble with silicone caulk - don't add oil for 24 hours to allow sealant to cure.

Please post what you find.

/ Snowblower gearbox
In for a penny in for a pound, 1. If you have tools remove the gearbox or use a good mirror and flashlight to find the ID tag. Call Boston Gear in the morning with the tag information and you should have a new gearbox on its way to you shortly. Just be sure to tell them; the bolt pattern-distance between holes the shaft diameter and the keyway width and length for both shafts whether the output shaft is left or right facing and the input speed of 540 rpm. If you could send them Images of the old one that will speed things along for you. Splitting a gearbox like this is a butts ugly proposition as you will most likely need a new shaft or shafts, two new seals, and seal retainers if it has them , bevel cut gears if the shafts and gears are a two piece arrangement. Many of the same gearboxes are used for rototillers, flail mowers, stone burrier's etc. See if the tag is still there before you do anything and you may just be able to get a gearbox shipped to you from Boston Gear by bus or UPS . It takes lot to kill a gearbox, so the previous owner was not upfront with his operating habits +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++EEDIT to add: Now that my computer is showing your images UGH you have a worm gear driven cross auger UGH. CALL RAD in Canada(The builder of the snow caster) and ask to speak to someone in engineering to get information about the gear box and order a new one from Boston Gear.

Thanks for the info. I will call Boston gear and see if there is something they can do for me. That's the info I was looking for. A alternative to the dealer. I have to go out and plow my driveway ( luckily I also have a plow ) after that I will try to find info on the gearbox and call Boston.

/ Snowblower gearbox
If the gearbox isn't making crunchy noises when you turn it, that's a good sign :c). There's a work gear in there, so normally the input turns easily, but if you try to turn the augers, they will not turn the input shaft. Can you turn the augers? If they do turn through a part of their rotation, and then stop, hold them in that position while trying to rotate the input, if the augers start working, that would indicate teeth stripped off the driven gear. True, nothing lost is splitting it. You may find that there's a replaceable part sheared or stripped. If you don't have a service manual, you might be able to find the info on-line . . . though I think they are stone simple. If no gasket, then clean surfaces and reassemble with silicone caulk - don't add oil for 24 hours to allow sealant to cure. Please post what you find.

No crunchy noise when turned. I can spin the auger easily all the way around without it stopping. As a last resort I will split the gear box open. I ordered a service manual yesterday and will wait till I recieve it to attempt this.
around.

/ Snowblower gearbox #8  
I recognize that blower style and have opened a gearbox at one time or another.

Inside there are the 2 gears that slip onto their shafts that have keyways cut in them.
If both shafts turn freely without any clunky noises chances are that you simply sheared a key.
Other than somewhat tricky dis assembly due to dirt, grime and rust, the repair should be not complicated.

If you do dis assemble I'd strongly advise you to replace all bearings and seals as they are cheap and represent a very small investment for future peace of mind.

Yep, looked again and that blower is made by Bervac and sold under many names.
I currently run a 60" version (8yrs now) on my MT180D.
Not the most efficient but gets rid of the snow. (fan is only 3 bladed and rather small diameter at that)

You do not need a manual as design is simple.
Auger sheer bolts are 5/16" grade 5 and fan is 1/4" also grade 5 and I'd suggest long enough that no threads are in the sheer zone otherwise sheering will cause burrs and elongation of the holes making removal difficult.
The fan is no problem as you'll never even find the pieces but on the auger the center can get stuck and very difficult to remove.

Early versions hand no zerks on the auger shaft while later ones did. Keep auger well greased so that it shears before causing major damage. (That may be what happened to yours. I needed to scrap my 48" version as hitting a hidden object simply blew my gearbox wide open also bent the shaft and destroyed the flighting)

PM me if you want some more tips and info.

Last edited:
   / Snowblower gearbox
image-3846081915.jpg

Unattach from this bracket first?

image-3846081915.jpg

Attachments

• image-1710669700.jpg
    image-1710669700.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 366
  • image-3970116783.jpg
    image-3970116783.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 280
  • image-3689645411.jpg
    image-3689645411.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 483
  • image-3213815701.jpg
    image-3213815701.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 185
   / Snowblower gearbox
Do I have to slip the auger out from the gearbox to remove it? Sorry I just don't wanna ruin this trying to take the gear box off.

Or unbolt both sides of gear box and it will then just slide straight out?