Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow sticking to blade.

/ Snow sticking to blade.
Got my Turtle Car Wax from Wally World today. If Car Wax doesn't do the job will try Ski Wax, if that doesn't work will try Pam - lots of good comments - that's what makes this board so interesting.
penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ps: One problem that nothing will help is when the plow blade digs into the soft ground under the snow where it's not frozen and immediately bonds to the cold blade. The only thing that cleans that off is a steel shovel. I've got to learn to stay out of those situations.

pss: Hope too many people don't do the "Heikki Lunta Dance" for another few weeks. May want to do a Google search for Heikki Lunta if interested. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Snow sticking to blade. #32  
RedHawkRidge, WOW, you've cover a lot a angry ground with your posts, thrown out a lot of unsubstatiated statements, and made some really raw accusations. From your statements It's fairly plain to see that you have an axe to grind. What's up? Who did what to you or someone you know?

/ Snow sticking to blade. #33  
I think the reaction to WD-40 is overblown like a lot of other things in this world as well. Seems like people jump on the bandwagon. Look at this thread as an example. Lots of peeps saying use WD until one person says oooohh nooo WD-40 is baaaddddd. Then people jump on that bandwagon.

Just for comparison sake...Think about how much oil, tranny fluid etc is leaked from vehicles on the road everyday. That little bit of WD-40 on a plow blade is practicaly immeasuarble by comparison.

I would agree that there are better options than WD-40 however its not going to kill the environment to put a little on a blade.

/ Snow sticking to blade. #34  
I tried the wax thing before and it worked wonderfully...for about three times. Problem is it wears off. Then what? Can't do a very good wax job at anything below 50 degrees. Ski wax works (not the cross-country type!) but the cost of things like F4 makes that pretty expensive! Pam works, and so does WD-40, no matter how cold or sloppy it gets. So that's what I use...when I remember.

Pete

/ Snow sticking to blade.
Boondox

I must have too much time on my hands. Today coated 1/2 the blade with Turtle Car Wax and the other 1/2 with WD40. Will run my own unscientific test to see which if either is better. Will try Pam if these don't work.

Locals I've talked to made comments similar to your's on the wax being worn off by the sand/grit that ends up in the snow.

Interesting discussions on the pros and cons of using WD40. TBN is an excellent place for people to voice their opinions, advice, etc. as long as it stays clean, etc. per Board Guidelines.

penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ps: Attached a picture of the blade - As you look at it, the right side is coated with WD40 and the left side with Turtle Car Wax. The WD40 appears to have given it a glossier finish.

Attachments

• 527635-Snow Plow Blade - Test 1.jpg
    527635-Snow Plow Blade - Test 1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 260
   / Snow sticking to blade. #36  
Just out of curiosity... what does that little bit of snow sticking to the blade that was shown in an earlier pic actually do? Does it hinder snow from curling off your blade when you plow, does it hold contaminents against the blade and ruin the paint?
I never realized anything was even done to a plow blade to get it ready for plowing until I read this thread. I can see wanting snow to leave a shovel when it's being used because of the added weight, but why the concern on a truck or tractor plow blade???
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oh, was Teflon mentioned yet? I used to use Teflon to lubricate semi-auto handguns that I was putting several hundred rounds through in a day's time. It didn't collect dirt and gum up the action as much. Not sure how it would compare for lasting with the other suggestions.

/ Snow sticking to blade. #37  
I use a 7' wide, 14" high back blade and found that when the snow sticks, it tends to push the snow forward of the blade (instead of to the side). When the pileup would get high enough, it would go over the blade. I installed a snow guard cover (from Northern Tool) and noticed the snow curled on top of itself (like rolling a snowball to make a snowman) and would roll right off the side of the plow. Really made a big difference (since my plow is only 14" high). Saved me on making 2 or 3 extra passes.

/ Snow sticking to blade. #38  
<font color="blue"> I just wanted to inform someone out there that there might be a good reason to use something other than </font>

As with just about anything, there's more than one way to skin a cat. It is always better to know you have many choices and how your choices could affect others. Nicely done. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As for snow sticking to a plow, I've never had that problem with a good coat of paint and a good coat of wax. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Snow sticking to blade. #39  
I see part of your point but my understanding is that some of those "hazards" you gloss over are indeed hazards. Sure, part of it is playing the odds, but it does seem funny that kids these days seem to be having a lot more health problems. Look at Fast Food Nation and Super Size Me among other things.

In the old county we lived in they were going to start using waste for fertilizer. It would go to up near Reno as haz-mat, turn around with new labels and presto chango be good for you. After doing a little looking around at such noted whacko sites including Cornell we learned that among other things that indeed some of the bad things in the waste stay alive for two years and there were indeed heavy metal issues as well. A local chrome plating plant that never met water waste standards was one of the problems.

I view it like jumping out of a airplane with no parachute, some have lived to tell the tale but it doesn't make me want to rtry it. Heck, I had a friend that worked ambulance and he said it was years before he worked a accident that had a body wearing a seat belt. So, all sorts of people can tell me that they "know" of some one that lived because they were thrown out of a car during an accident but I, and everyone in my car keep wearing them.

Some people used to mine coal for years with no problems but if you lived in a mining town 50 years ago you would know that was not typical, but like a lot of other things the companies and to an extent government could find all sorts of reasons for not doing much to reduce black lung.

/ Snow sticking to blade. #40  
I've not tried it but, would graphite spray lubricant or graphite mould board lubricant work? I know once it's on things it takes a while to come off. It would affect the color of the plow where sprayed but, if your plowing who would see? It's not always about looks is it? I'll probably give it a try this season.
Ben