Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow sticking to blade.

/ Snow sticking to blade. #21  
LKGuy, where does all the salt that the state and local government use end up? Here is Maryland they paint on storm drains, "Protect the Chesapeake Bay", but I bet tons of used salt ends up in the bay, which probably kills fish, crabs, etc. I can't believe that a little WD40 on several snow blades could do that much damage to the environment, of course I've been wrong before. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Using PAM type spray does sound like a pretty good option though.

/ Snow sticking to blade. #22  
the oceans are full of 'salt'water, so I don't think that is in the same league as petroleum distillates when it comes to pollution. Now, if they have additives in that roadsalt, that would be another story...

/ Snow sticking to blade. #23  
srs, without getting too deep into geochemistry, I'll first say that your point about salts is a good one from the standpoint that it points out an important distinction, and that is the difference between naturally occurring "minerals" and "man made carcinogenic compounds". Salts don't "break down" into different compounds like man-made products, but are a problem in water. In water, salts change to different ionic states and dissolve to lower concentrations. Then when the water is evaporated, salts are re-concentrated and appear as solids. Salts, like other substances, don't just disappear, they change forms. Salts can also accumulate in blood and effect kidney functions and raise blood pressure. Aquatic organism are just as, if not more sensitive to, salt cancentrations as humans. But man-made petroleum distillates such as TCE (trichloroethylene) are a completely different class of pollutants. First, they are man-made compounds, which in the environment break down into "daughter products". TCE and the daughter products are all cancer causing. Second, these compounds can "bioaccumulate". Which addresses your comment about how can a little WD-40 hurt. It's not that a little can hurt, it's all about 250 million people in our country, and major industries, all saying "oh, a little bit can hurt". TCE accumulates in the environment, and in the blood, and effects the central nervous system, liver, kidney functions, and can cause cancer. I can hardly pick up a water quality analysis any more without seeing some level of man made compound present. And not just in water collected from industrial sites. I mean in water from place you would think should have really nice clean water. All it takes is just one person deciding to empty a little left over something along side the road or in the back yard and bam, it's there, for decades. If we all just go on saying a little bit won't hurt, it will hurt.

/ Snow sticking to blade. #24  
around here folks buy a couple of blocks of parafin wax. Then use a propane weed burner to heat the bucket/blade, and rub the wax in.
lasts most of the year.

/ Snow sticking to blade.
Follow up to previous post. Did a little local research and found out the following:

1. Local City with 12 plow trucks, 2 graders and 3 loaders, quit using wax on their blades some time ago and currently use nothing.
2. A local distributor for a large snow plow mfg. co. said they don't use anything, but he's been meaning to try something on his own plow for several years ?
3. The Head mechanic for local DPW stated that he uses 2 coats of car wax on the front and back of his personal plow.
4. An experieced equipment operator (+30 years) stated that he uses car wax also.

Based on my meager research, going to Wally World tomorrow and pick up some car wax. If that doesn't do any good will try ski wax per earlier recommendation.

penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ps: Attached pic of blade I want to wax - last winter

Attachments

• 526466-Snow plow blade.jpg
    526466-Snow plow blade.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 589
   / Snow sticking to blade.
Better pic of how snow sticks to blade.

penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 526481-Snow plow blade 2.jpg
    526481-Snow plow blade 2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 547
   / Snow sticking to blade. #27  
Tried a quick spray of Pam on the blade last Saturday and it worked like a charm!!!

/ Snow sticking to blade. #28  
LKGuy:
I'm not buying your scenario that every manmade chemical will come back to haunt the human race.
Let's see, one teaspoon of oil will contaminate 300,000 gallons of water -- to what effect? Just because a few molecules are present doesn't guarantee the onset of cancer, leukemia, sterility, etc.
Some WD40 on a snow blade ain't gonna wipe out any species or cause some frogs to have extra sex organs (see paranoia in Minnesota). If it qualifies as a serious threat to our lifestyle, then we're all headed back to the caves...forget the tractors and other toys.
I'm not speaking from any experience as a environmental scientist... just common sense and some understanding of the chemicals you're worried about (you're grossly overstating the dangers of 1,1,1-trichloroethane).
jim

/ Snow sticking to blade. #29  
Well RedHawkRidge, I'm not suprised with your response, I hear it all the time, mostly from government and industry. As to "grossly overstating the dangers of 1,1,1-TCA", well I thought I was presenting just the facts, with maybe just a little plea to everyone to just be a little more aware of what we are placing into the environment. If you or anyone else took that as some wild tree hugger screaming "were all going to die", that was not my intent. If your "common sence" makes you feel comfortable knowing you and your family are drinking know carcinogens, and you are sure that "not every man-made chemical will come back to haunt the human race" and the presence of VOC's in the environment "doesn't guarantee cancer, leukemia, or sterility" that's great. But why should I or anyone else who doesn't share your level of confidence and don't want to take the chance you seem to be willing to take, have to injest these chemicals? If we each lived in a bubble and could contaminate each of our own little worlds I would say great! Drink all the VOC's YOU want. It's just that from what I have seen and from what I know from my training and experience, I don't. I just wanted to inform someone out there that there might be a good reason to use something other than WD-40 to keep snow from sticking to their snow plow.

/ Snow sticking to blade. #30  
LKGuy:
There's far too many alarmists in our world. They cry wolve over so many minor threats that any concerns over legitimate bad stuff are lost in the chaff. For every DDT disaster there's a thousand Swine flu charades.
Need more reminders?
Alar on apples
Silicon for breast implants
Benzene
Asbestos
Second-hand cigarette smoke
Eating eggs daily
Methylene Chloride
CO2 global warming
The Love Canal
Aluminum in antiperspirants
Cyclamate sweetener
So, LKGuy, sorry, but if one were to be consistent and apply your no-chemicals/organics to every we come in touch with, there wouldn't be anything in our garage, workshop, under-sink, worksite, etc.
jim