Snow removal accident

/ Snow removal accident #122  
Since this thread started I've begun watching "king of ...." (I forgot what the town's name is)😆
He's good but it's a pretty dark story.
(Mayor of Kingstown)

/ Snow removal accident
Thanks for the update. 30 bones! That's nearly 30% :oops:

/ Snow removal accident #125  
if he makes a full recovery, if that’s possible!

You'd be surprised, I was. I broke 19 bones, and was off my feet for three months. I lost 50 pounds during that time, and I had not started out overweight. The nurses and doctors were excellent, encouraging, and optimistic within reason. It has taken a few years, and I have well exceeded their and my own expectations of recovery. I remember looking forward to 80% recovery with hope - I'm 95% the person I was before, and better in some ways. I don't teach flying any more any more, but I still fly, and do everything else in life I want to do, other than run fast. Now I run like one of the 1960's TV show Thunderbirds puppets (the 5%) - but, I can run!

The advice given to me as I woke up from the coma day four, was move everything I can, as much as I can. Difficult, when the metal rings are around one leg, and your other arm in is a sling, while you lie in bed. But you know, as much as I could, at every stage of recovery, I moved as much as I could, as long as I could. I did rehab as directed for three years, and still do the assigned exercises to this day. So I hope this fellow, and anyone else who suffers a major accident, is simply given the advice to move as much as possible and permitted, as long as your energy allows. Walk when you can instead of any other way of getting around, take the stairs instead of the elevator/escalator, bicycle instead of drive, split your firewood by hand, and wrestle with your grandkids. Each is it's own reward, but simply by doing, you will be able to do more. I pity the somewhat able bodied people who allow themselves to become more a victim by relenting to difficulty in moving - fight to move, be healthy, and enjoy life, rather than allowing some immobility to define you.

And, as I have said, I always apply the parking brake, and lower all implements to the ground, or otherwise lock them out, because, I have learned the truth of: If you think safety is expensive, try an accident!

/ Snow removal accident #126  
You'd be surprised, I was. I broke 19 bones, and was off my feet for three months. I lost 50 pounds during that time, and I had not started out overweight. The nurses and doctors were excellent, encouraging, and optimistic within reason. It has taken a few years, and I have well exceeded their and my own expectations of recovery. I remember looking forward to 80% recovery with hope - I'm 95% the person I was before, and better in some ways. I don't teach flying any more any more, but I still fly, and do everything else in life I want to do, other than run fast. Now I run like one of the 1960's TV show Thunderbirds puppets (the 5%) - but, I can run!

The advice given to me as I woke up from the coma day four, was move everything I can, as much as I can. Difficult, when the metal rings are around one leg, and your other arm in is a sling, while you lie in bed. But you know, as much as I could, at every stage of recovery, I moved as much as I could, as long as I could. I did rehab as directed for three years, and still do the assigned exercises to this day. So I hope this fellow, and anyone else who suffers a major accident, is simply given the advice to move as much as possible and permitted, as long as your energy allows. Walk when you can instead of any other way of getting around, take the stairs instead of the elevator/escalator, bicycle instead of drive, split your firewood by hand, and wrestle with your grandkids. Each is it's own reward, but simply by doing, you will be able to do more. I pity the somewhat able bodied people who allow themselves to become more a victim by relenting to difficulty in moving - fight to move, be healthy, and enjoy life, rather than allowing some immobility to define you.

And, as I have said, I always apply the parking brake, and lower all implements to the ground, or otherwise lock them out, because, I have learned the truth of: If you think safety is expensive, try an accident!
What great advice! Thanks for your story!
You sound like a great human.👍🏻☮️✌🏻

/ Snow removal accident
I think we've all gotten off of something and realized it was starting to move. Warning story to follow.
One day when I was about 10 my Mom came home with a load of groceries. She grabbed 2 bags and headed inside. When she came out the car was gone. I mean gone. :rolleyes:
It had rolled back down the driveway, made a U turn and headed down the road, eventually over a curb and then into a neighbors garden. I don't know who was more upset - Mom or the Gardener!?:D

/ Snow removal accident #129  
Well, now that he's gonna be OK...

Reminds me of my friend when we were little kids. He kept bugging a neighbor girl to let him ride her new tricycle. She kept saying no, but finally gave in. He got on it at the top of a hill, started riding down, took his feet off the pedals and could not stop. It was a dead end street. He disappeared into the bushes and we heard crashing noises, as it was another 30' down an embankment. He survived with nicks and scratches, but I can still picture it on my head all these years later. :)

/ Snow removal accident
We used to build those wooden carts with rope steering, nail on wheels, and a drag stick brake. Then race them off a huge hill through a T intersection at the bottom - It's a wonder that nobody got killed.