Snow Plow Build

/ Snow Plow Build
No float, no rotating/articulating blade, and no hinged brake-away blade. I don't mean this as critical, but be careful. Even with those three features if not careful mine adds a lot of stress to my FEL arms and frame. Maybe I like to drive too fast. ;)
I like the bright yellow. Mine is black, and when clearing the drive entrance at the road (it's a hidden drive), it makes me nervous to have the blade out there too far.

As Kenny mentioned, the cutting edge itself trips. There are 4 adjustable springs that allow it to trip.
When straight across the plow is no further out than my standard QA bucket.
I will be able to use float once I install the 4 shoes. 2 on the blade and 2 on the back of the A frame.

A crossover valve wont work with a DA cylinder. Differing amounts of fluid.

When trying to collapse the cylinder, it will try to bypass MORE fluid to the rod side than it can hold. Since hydraulic oil wont compress, its as good as not having a crossover valve at all.

When trying to force it to extend, you have to create ALOT of vacuum around the rod seal, will likely suck in contaminates and dirt/water and have limited effect on acting as a cushion.

Not sure what you paid for the DA cylinder, but you can get a PAIR of 1.5x10 SA cylinders for ~$70 delivered. Then you KNOW the crossover protection will work perfectly.

Quick Attach and HLA sell plows with a single DA cylinder that uses a crossover relief. Seems to me the relief would only allow fluid from the extend side of the ram to bypass to the retract side. Am I not correct?
Also, where can you get 2 single rams for $70.? When I was pricing rams they were $70. each.

Last edited:
   / Snow Plow Build
Last edited:
   / Snow Plow Build #24  
I like your build.

And the yellow is a good idea for visibility. I painted mine yellow also. Here's an old pic before I got my tractor.
Miata plow.jpg :laughing:

It's the plow from my quad. If I can find a small used plow maybe I can rig something to my tractor. But with the snowblower, quad and FEL I think I'm ready.

/ Snow Plow Build #25  
The cutting edge trips on this style blade rather than the whole blade.
That makes more sense. I can see the pivot points now... thanks for the correction.

/ Snow Plow Build #26  
Most snowplows that are built to angle, need to be able to flex as they angle. If it is rigidly mounted when it turns, it will end up with the edge closest to the tractor digging in and the farthest edge off the ground. Hopefully there is enough flex to let it lay flat on the ground when turned. I would be hesitant to put the loader in float because if you hit something frozen, the tractor is apt to try and drive over the plow because the plow will come to a stop, but by being in float, the lift cylinders will retract, allowing the front of the tractor to go up.

/ Snow Plow Build
Most snowplows that are built to angle, need to be able to flex as they angle. If it is rigidly mounted when it turns, it will end up with the edge closest to the tractor digging in and the farthest edge off the ground. Hopefully there is enough flex to let it lay flat on the ground when turned. I would be hesitant to put the loader in float because if you hit something frozen, the tractor is apt to try and drive over the plow because the plow will come to a stop, but by being in float, the lift cylinders will retract, allowing the front of the tractor to go up.

My plow does not flex as you say. The blade is attached to the A frame with 2 pins that it pivots on. As long as the A frame is level the blade will turn level and not dig in. I have installed 4 skid shoes. 2 on the plow and 2 on the back of the A frame. When I lower the loader arms down the plow sits on the 4 shoes and the cutting edge is about 1/2" off the ground. I can turn the blade lock to lock and the cutting edge remains level. I can raise or lower the shoes depending on the driveway being frozen or not.

/ Snow Plow Build
Special Buy Snowplow Welded Cylinders - Single Ports

They went up a little bit. Probably the time of year it is.

I bought a pair of 10" stroke cylinders back in the spring for $29ea

Bought a pair of cylinders, swivel fittings and hoses at a local plow shop today. They do not carry cushion valves (crossover relief). Went to several places to find one but no luck. One more place to check tomorrow then I'll give up looking and order one.

/ Snow Plow Build #29  
Bought a pair of cylinders, swivel fittings and hoses at a local plow shop today. They do not carry cushion valves (crossover relief). Went to several places to find one but no luck. One more place to check tomorrow then I'll give up looking and order one.

How much were the cylinders at the local shop?

/ Snow Plow Build
How much were the cylinders at the local shop?

Got the 2 cyls. swivel fittings, and 2 hoses for $90. Had I ordered them the cyls. alone plus shipping would have been that much.