Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow Blades for FEL

/ Snow Blades for FEL #1  

Bullzibart

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4210
I'm thinking on getting a snow blade for the front of my FEL on my 4210. I've found ones made by Curtis but wonder who else makes them for tractors. What is a good size blade for this tractor? I don't want one to big but on the other hand I don't want one thats to small. After this last storm of 12+ inches I've had enough of the bucket. It does the job but I think it would be faster and easier with the blade.
Thanks for the help
Bullzibart

/ Snow Blades for FEL #2  
Here is a recent thread on what look like a QA blade from <font color="green"> JD </font>. If you have a Skid Loader QA on your 4210. Looks like it will fit. Click Here

/ Snow Blades for FEL #3  
I have this setup on the front of my 2410. It mounts into a receiver hitch- I used a step 'n tow hitch mounted upside down in the bucket with some extra bracing on the bottom.
This is winter #2 in northern Vermont and this setup has worked very well. Best feature is being able to pull one pin and insert a hitch plug and use the bucket again- around a 2 minute procedure.
I also own a Curtis, but the weight and time to replace the bucket with blade are both a disadvantage.
I do have a 5' rear snowblower, so if we get dumps of 6"+, I use that for the thick stuff.

Attachments

• 787463-blade1.JPG
    787463-blade1.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 397
   / Snow Blades for FEL #4  
I think that you would want it wide enough so that when it is angled that the rear wheels are not contacting the plowed snow. On my L-3830 which is a little over 5 feet, I use a 7 1/2 ' Fisher plow off an old 4x4 pickup.

/ Snow Blades for FEL #5  
Bullzi,
There have been a lot of threads on different blades. In addition to the Deere blade, there are blades made by Horst Welding, Sno-Way etc.
I sell mostly the Horst blades, good blade for the $$, and they
come assembled. also, the JD blade isn't as tall a moldboard as some, and seems to extend quite a bit out front of the loader arms compared to the others.
Horst website
SnoWay blades

The SnoWay blades list them as skid steer mount, but they offer attaching plates for most common tractor loaders.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Snow Blades for FEL #6  
That rig looks like it works, but it's w-a-y out there in front. If I drove it to work, the blade would be in my parking place on time and I'd be 10 minutes late. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How is it when turning? It seems you'd have to be pretty careful to keep the blade on the driveway while going around a curve.

/ Snow Blades for FEL #7  
If the curve has a good arc, no problem. If it is tighter, I usually make one swing and then back up for a closer approach to the corner. Not perfect but much easier than the rear blower.