Snow Blade Suggestions

/ Snow Blade Suggestions #1  

ransonjd

Bronze Member
Tractor
BCS 605
What snow blade should I consider for my soon to arrive Kioti DK4510HS? I'll have a 1000' long gravel driveway near Rochester, NY with no obstructions on either side. I will have a 3rd function kit installed on my loader.

--John

/ Snow Blade Suggestions #2  
What snow blade should I consider for my soon to arrive Kioti DK4510HS? I'll have a 1000' long gravel driveway near Rochester, NY with no obstructions on either side. I will have a 3rd function kit installed on my loader.

--John
I assume you mean FRONT snow blade?

/ Snow Blade Suggestions #3  
Well most guys obtain a truck blade and adapt it to fit the tractor.
Generally local Kijji is a good source as other on line forums.
Spring is a good time to shop for a snow blade.
Just don't get to large a blade, just one that covers your tracks when angled at 45 degs.

/ Snow Blade Suggestions
Yeah, front snow blade. I would consider FEL or frame mounted.

--John

/ Snow Blade Suggestions #5  
   / Snow Blade Suggestions #6  
I would think you want power angle for sure for a road that long. If you were just doing a small area, a fixed blade would probably be ok and easier to install. I may put a fixed blade on mine and have a question someone may help with. Will the blade work ok using the float position on the loader if the blade is attached directly to the loader arms or should the blade be mounted or suspended with a short chain like on a 1/2 ton truck mount?
Thanks
Al

/ Snow Blade Suggestions #7  
View attachment 508471 Interesting, when I chose a snow removal implement for my mile long gravel driveway - I immediately thought rear blade. So many more choices, no "fitment" problems and no need for any special frame on the tractor.

/ Snow Blade Suggestions #8  
I have been using a plow from Michigan Iron and Equipment. The blade angle is controlled hydraulically using the same 3rd function setup for my grapple. Found the folks at M & I helpful when I was deciding on snow blade features best suited for my situation.

Michigan Iron and Equipment Morrice, MI (855) 265-459

/ Snow Blade Suggestions #9  
Do you have a Skid Steer Quick Attach on your loader?I fabricated a snow plow with a SSQA plate+an old truck plow (8') Curtis;third function installed by my dealer.So mine is a FEL mounted and quick change to the bucket if needed.It has worked well for the last 8 years for me.
Mine is a chain mount;so it floats the plow.

/ Snow Blade Suggestions #10  

--John

Hello John,

I am a bit south of you as the crow flies but we tend to get wet heavy snows around Ithaca also unless it stays below freezing for a long time-that has not happened for 10 years or so down here.

Please do not think I am droning on about this and if I have covered this previously with you I apologize;

Do you have room to throw the snow off with firm ground and not get stuck if you have to push it back?
four wheel drive mules and trucks tend to suck them selves in and really really get stuck at the worst times.

Once you start pushing it will create a wall of snow on both sides of the gravel driveway that
will hold more snow in the trench as the season goes on.

Are the front and rear tires loaded with liquid ballast?

Rear chains?, what type? 2 link road grader, logging, or V bar tire chains are the best in my opinion.

Do you have a weight box in the rear?

I am not trying to divert you from anything but you are very wise to start shopping now for snow removal tools:

The Reist folks have mounted their single stage snow throwers on front end loaders with a quick attach plate and have a very simple hydraulic power pack that they mount under the left side tractor steps on the kioti mules that they have mounted them on.

The single stage snow throwers that they offer can be set up to run with a rear power take off or a hydraulic motor using a a gear pump mounted on the rear PTO shaft.

I am not trying to spend your money John I just want you to have the best tool for the job as we both tend to get buried with wet snows when the conditions are right.

The dollar loony exchange rate favors the dollar right now so we have more buying power per dollar.

Last edited: