Small ztr traction on dry "level"

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #21  
I’m guessing it’s operator error. A homeowner ZT isn’t a mountain goat but they shouldn’t have any problems on mostly level dry grass.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level"
Video will have to wait. Ended up raining today so now it's wet lol. I'll be sure to get the video when it dries back out . Still ordering the tires. If I don't like them or the video helps out with input I'll put them on my boys quad

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #23  
I have no trouble cutting slopes with my Simplicity Citation XL with a 61" deck. It is heavy enough that traction is there due to it's weight. I cut the back hill sideways without issue at all. I also have a Simplicity ZT2500. It is lighter in weight with smaller tires as you mention too but the real issue is the weight. It will slide on the hillside and I can't cut it safely. It will cut it at times when it's really dry out and the tires can hold the traction. But any sign of dampness even with dry green grass it will slip. It also has some slipping occurring on less sloping areas too. A heavier ZTR is better IMO. I've proven it here.

Heavy equals more money. I know the bigger ones just have to work better. I also know that this is my first time around using these and that you guys will be able to tell me how to do my turns better regardless of traction. I still can't believe that there isn't a video out there of a small machine needing better tires. If you try and look it up it's some guy trying to plow mud with a zt..... pointless. I do also know that my ag tires on my GT don't tear up my lawn at all unless I'm in 6th gear flying around turns. That's like 8mph and my yard isn't big enough to go that fast safely.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #26  
A ZT will tear up a lawn more with agressive tires because of the zero turn ability. When you turn going around a tree, one tire will be stopped as the mower pivots. Are you able to make one tire go forward while the other tire is going in reverse?

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #27  
A ZT will tear up a lawn more with agressive tires because of the zero turn ability. When you turn going around a tree, one tire will be stopped as the mower pivots. Are you able to make one tire go forward while the other tire is going in reverse?

False.

Any tire will tear up if you pivot. I'm aware a tire always needs to be turning. Going around a tree other than a sapling the inside tire will still be rolling but slower. No different than driving a normal lawn tractor.

And tire discussion usually always goes to mud. I have no intention on ever taking this into something that appears wet. Just don't have a reason to. I guess what amazed me is that more people aren't asking questions about tires trying to use this little machine on a normal lawn.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #29  
After looking at a photo of your model, there are three things that are obvious. All are design issues and have nothing to do with how it is operated.

Number one design issue is that there is not enough weight over the drive tires. The correct design should have the engine somewhat behind the rear axle, while driver and mowing deck is ahead. This is why when you put your seat back, things improve - you are shifting weight rearwards. I don't know the correct ratio, but if 75-80% of the entire operating weight (with driver) were over the drive tires then the drive tires should be able to move and steer the unit properly.

Number two design issue is the distance between the drive tires. If you consider the 4 tire arrangement on the ground, it looks to me like it is shaped like a rectangle - the longer sides are front-to-back dimension. It should be the other way around, or at least square. The rear tires do not have sufficient leverage to turn, even go straight in conditions such as a slope.

Number three issue is the tires. They are too smooth for the work they are expected to take on.

The big question is what to do. If you cannot return the unit and get a better design, then I see a couple of options. First is to consider more aggressive tires, just as you pointed out. If there is a concern about tearing up grass by circling a tree, then don't circle it. Slice/mow the circle 25% at a time, and don't pivot on one tire anywhere in the yard. Another option is to add spacers for the rear tires to put more distance between the tires, thus creating more leverage. This would only work if you can find a way to do this and the width is not greater than the mower deck. The final option I can think of is to make a bracket on the rear of the frame to add weight. Sure, this is some customization where someone can be creative with how it is achieved. The intention is to shift weight rearwards so a greater percentage is over the rear axle. By adding behind the axle, weight comes off of the front tires.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #30  
I have no regrets switching to these, way better than the OEM turfs for traction and control