Small ztr traction on dry "level"

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #11  
honestly short of video, no one is going to really be able to tell whats going on. my non 0 turn can do 25% grades with turfs and not slip, cutting uphill. i don't think tires can be the issue on flat, i feel like something is hung up underneath. if you lift the mower deck off the ground, does the problem go away?

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level"
What I tried today I wasn't even mowing just driving around. Deck was up the whole way. My first tractor I had on this property was a craftsman lt2000 probably identical wheels and tires and I had no issue. Now I ended up chaining them and adding wheel weights because I ran my tractor down into the woods to dispose of clippings from the bagger. The main difference I see with this zero turn is how the drive wheels need to turn it. Obviously the front are just casters and all that leverage of the machine has to swing over. It's alot harder . Imagine putting casters on your non zero turn and grabbing the back of your seat and try to swing the front end side to side. Wouldn't be too easy. I just assumed with all the weight over the drive wheels it wouldn't present itself like this.

I'll see if I can get my wife to take a video of me trying to turn it this weekend.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #14  
I've wondered about ZTRs on a slope. Had to go with 4wd because the Gravely did not have enough traction to go up/down our back slope. Only 2wd. Wonder if they even make a 4wd.

I thought I seen something about a ztr awd. Probably stupid expensive. If anything about my yard made me question anything I wouldn't have bought one. I have an almost level yard. It has a gentle grade across the yard. Just got the ok from husqvarna to change the tires or run chains. I wanted something in print because I have a 3 year warranty on the machine. So I think I'm getting 19x9.50-8 tires no name brand and has sorta an itp holeshot tread. Inch taller and an inch wider and not crazy aggressive.

On the note of a 2wd non zero tractor my gt5000 has bar tires and wheels weights. When I mow fast with it going from reverse to 4th gear it lifts the front wheels. Almost flipped it over in the woods seeing if the tires would spin on a muddy hill.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #17  
From your owner's manual trouble shooting section:

Mower moves slowly, unevenly, or not at all
Bypass linkages are engaged
Transmission drive belt is slack or off
Air trapped in the hydraulic system

Never had the issues which you describe with any of my ZTs. Take a look at the above.
I will say that if that little machine left ruts in your yard it is too wet. Grass may be dry, but the ground is wet.

Last edited:
Tried on asphalt to double check gearbox operation. No issue. If this level of moisture is too much that's still not acceptable to me. I never mow when I think it's wet. Makes too much of a mess on the tractor. I will say since you can't feel or hear the tires spinning I originally thought something was wrong with the hydros. Then I started watching my tires close. Seeing that I can't find anything wrong with the mower I can't believe more people don't have this complaint. Now granted if you have a perfect yard then I'm sure this mower would have no issue. And by chance have you had a zero turn this small? Anyone I personally know that has one bought a commercial one because I guess they could. My buddies exmark probably weighs twice mine and has told me there is no issue and his yard has weird hills all over it.

And if I said ruts I really meant it just left streaks where it tore the grass up. I didn't actually rut in anywhere. No sinking at all.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #20  
If you hold back the sticks going down hill, the tires will tear up the grass.
All of my mowers are commercial, but if I am going to be going down a grade, I make sure I give it a little stick so you don't get , what I call, chatter grass.

One of my neighbors had a small Hustler and he looked like a sprint car driver trying to mow side hills. Could just be your driving technique if this is your first zt

Like others have said , post a video. We will be able to see what is going on .

Last edited: