Small ztr traction on dry "level"

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #1  

frankr2994

Tractor
2020 husqvarna z242f , 2003 craftsman gt5000
Hello all. I've researched this and I know it's been beaten but my issue is a little different. I just bought a husqvarna z242f. I only have a half acre so I don't need anything more or so I thought. My yard is pretty level. I have no wet spots and the only hill I have I've only done with a push mower. However I can't be on the slightest of grade with this husky and not slide or spin. Doing the long up and down runs in my yard the tractor wants to go to the left down hill. This is maybe 3 or 4 inches of slope per 4 foot. Hardly a hill. I find myself just skidding my right tire the whole way down the yard trying to go straight. Getting close to my pool made me question if I was going to drive it into the pool. Had to stop once and consider what direction I was going to try to make the front end not drop down and slam into the side of it. I also got stuck once trying to turn on complete flat ground. Wasn't trying to spin it just turn. Had to shut the deck off and back straight over my landscaping to get out of it. It's really unusable and I left ruts everywhere in my yard yesterday. Now this was my first time on it but I couldn't even practice doing a k turn or anything because it ending up taking 5 or more steps due to spinning to get pointed the right way. It has small 18x8.5-8 turfs on it. I thought that would be ok. The machine weighs just under 600lbs and I'm only 150lbs. Tires have 9 psi in them now. Any advice would be appreciated. I will never use this in the wet and I've kept my gt5000 to pull my cart and well do anything other than mow with.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #2  
Hello all. I've researched this and I know it's been beaten but my issue is a little different. I just bought a husqvarna z242f. I only have a half acre so I don't need anything more or so I thought. My yard is pretty level. I have no wet spots and the only hill I have I've only done with a push mower. However I can't be on the slightest of grade with this husky and not slide or spin. Doing the long up and down runs in my yard the tractor wants to go to the left down hill. This is maybe 3 or 4 inches of slope per 4 foot. Hardly a hill. I find myself just skidding my right tire the whole way down the yard trying to go straight. Getting close to my pool made me question if I was going to drive it into the pool. Had to stop once and consider what direction I was going to try to make the front end not drop down and slam into the side of it. I also got stuck once trying to turn on complete flat ground. Wasn't trying to spin it just turn. Had to shut the deck off and back straight over my landscaping to get out of it. It's really unusable and I left ruts everywhere in my yard yesterday. Now this was my first time on it but I couldn't even practice doing a k turn or anything because it ending up taking 5 or more steps due to spinning to get pointed the right way. It has small 18x8.5-8 turfs on it. I thought that would be ok. The machine weighs just under 600lbs and I'm only 150lbs. Tires have 9 psi in them now. Any advice would be appreciated. I will never use this in the wet and I've kept my gt5000 to pull my cart and well do anything other than mow with.

First - welcome to TBN from Missouri.

Wow. That does not sound right.

Was the yard wet after rain or early morning dew?

Z-turns can have issues on wet grass and turning can tear up the grass. You really should mow when it’s wet. But on dry grass what you describe should not happen.

MoKelly

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level"
Not wet at all. Now green as I'd call it yes. It is early spring and all the plants are wet inside. Just got off the phone with the husky dealer and they told me they haven't heard if this and that my grass must have been too wet. I'm not stupid and that was a little insulting. If I can't drive in a straight line it's more or less unacceptable.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #4  
Yep - if it’s dry then something is off.

On the steering maybe it’s just misaligned such that when you have the levels equal it’s pulling in one direction. That can be fixed.

But your lack of traction on flat ground and getting stuck turning is weird.

Do you know how much the unit weighs? Maybe it’s too light for the power to the rear wheels??

Sorry I can’t help. I’ve only gotten stuck in very wet areas - all due to operator error.

Good luck.

MoKelly

Yes in my OP I said the machine weighs just under 600lbs and I'm only 150lbs. I also don't run a bagger or anything so that's it. Has a 18hp kawi on the back and I've tried being very easy on the sticks to try not to break traction. As far as adjusting them equal I've checked that and know how to adjust. Center of my yard is as level as I got. I run run both sticks full forward and I go straight. Seems right to me. I'm considering stepping up on tires. I have found 18x9.5-8 , 19x9.5-8 and 20x9.5-8 treaded tires. Not bar lugs. I know the 19x9.5 tires fit as I've seen my tractor in one of the reviews for that tire. I wouldn't mind if I could put the 20's on to help out with speed a bit but I'm unsure on any of them having just ezt2200 hydros on it.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #7  
I don’t know why you’re having so much trouble to start with. That doesn’t seem right but more aggressive tires would definitely help.

Well I just tried setting the tires at 2 psi and moved the seat the whole way back. It helped. Still multiple areas I cannot get it to turn that you wouldn't expect any trouble.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #9  
It seems like those tires would tear up your lawn. I wouldn't put them on my mower.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #10  
Again, very strange. Just read a bunch of reviews on the machine and nothing like you describe.

2psi in the tires. Wow. I would be afraid they would come off the rims!!!

MoKelly