Slasher size for a CK30?

/ Slasher size for a CK30? #1  

Alien

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
I have been informed that a 4'6" slasher is the size I should be getting. Geez, it should run a 5 footer surely? 4'6" is barely bigger than the cut of my Ride-on Mower. I tried my son in laws 6 footer for a day and it handled it OK but I wouldn't buy one that big.

The other option, and probably more suited to my property is a flail mower. Again I would look at a 1.5 meter one.

I have some paddocks I have been clearing over time and need to now slash them. There are quite a few small sticks lying about and I like the idea of the mulching flail mower. There are a number of sawn off stumps that a flail can deal with a bit better. (stumps are ground level)

Different blades are available for the flail mower so if my needs change I can change the blades. Does anyone know how well flail mower blades last? I guess that side of maintenance would be higher than a slasher.
Slasher blades run about $50 a set while Flail replacements would be around $200 + .
Anyone here used a Flail on a CK30? I was looking at the Hayes brand. Good prices compared to local dealers but I would have to get it shipped from Victoria.

Any suggestions?

/ Slasher size for a CK30? #2  
Formula is: 5HP/foot = 6' max for your tractor.
Where'd you get the palm sized Kioti? I want one- give me yours!:laughing:

/ Slasher size for a CK30? #3  
Hmmm ... when we bought our first tractor nearly 30 years ago, we were told 10hp/foot to do serious work. We have been running a medium duty Howard 6' slasher on our quite old Inter 564 (about 60hp) since. It generally runs well, but bogged down almost to the point of stalling in serious grass (very thick and 6-8' tall on roadsides etc). I know around here (Central Burnett), the locals scoff if you talk about much less than 10hp/foot. At that ratio you can use either a slasher or flail mower to knock down and shred pretty well woody weed/hardwood tree regrowth up to 30mm or so basal diameter.
Now have a Kioti FX751 and it handles the same slasher well, the extra hp are very good and can maintain speed better (still have to slow down when the grass is too thick to walk through and as tall as the dash!). And the cab is delightful :)
If you have a look at the power recommendations in the Silvan Australia catalog at www.silvan.com.au/documents/brochures/20110805151854_1.pdf you will see their power recommendations for Australian conditions. Or, checkout what Sherwood Machinery say about power: Slashers Sherwood Machinery offers a comprehensive range
It very much depends on whether you are planning on running the slasher or flail mower at its full capacity, or if you are happy to slow the tractor ground speed right down and/or not cut very long grass. Around Grantham, I suspect it is much too civilised now to have very heavy, long grass, so you are probably OK going less than 10hp/foot. You should be able to find some old farmers still around there to give you sound local advice - surely the whole district hasn't been overtaken by blockies?

/ Slasher size for a CK30? #4  
A CK30 could run a 5 foot rotary slasher/bush hog for general duty bush hogging or even a light duty six footer for regular pasture maintenance. I'd not hesitate to run a six foot flail for routine mowing or a five footer for tougher pasture reclamation. Rotary "bush hogs" are simpler and cheaper to maintain but flails give a much nicer cut and are far safer around dwellings and people. Essentially zero risk of ejecting a high velocity projectile with a flail which is why nearly all highway mowing in the U.S. Is done with heavy duty flail mowers.

Flail blades last years but not as long as rotary slasher blades.

/ Slasher size for a CK30? #5  
Essentially zero risk of ejecting a high velocity projectile with a flail which is why nearly all highway mowing in the U.S. Is done with heavy duty flail mowers.

Not trying to highjack the OP's thread, but I disagree with the above statement. this may be true in the North East, but here in the South and in the Midwest most state and county highway crews run triple wide (aka bat wing) slasher/bush hog style mowers.

Having spent a couple weekends cleaning the undergrowth on the edges of my property with a slasher/bush hog, I wish I had a flail as the BH leaves lots of small to medium sized sticks and such or at least mine does.

Cheers

Rancho

/ Slasher size for a CK30? #6  
Not trying to highjack the OP's thread, but I disagree with the above statement. this may be true in the North East, but here in the South and in the Midwest most state and county highway crews run triple wide (aka bat wing) slasher/bush hog style mowers. Having spent a couple weekends cleaning the undergrowth on the edges of my property with a slasher/bush hog, I wish I had a flail as the BH leaves lots of small to medium sized sticks and such or at least mine does. Cheers Rancho
You are correct, my experience is mostly in New England.

/ Slasher size for a CK30?
Great advice guys. Thank you all for your comments. My grass is not thick but at least it is growing since I got rid of some trees and we got good rain. Only have one horse to worry about now so just need enough feed for her.
I see there are several different flails or hammers available for the mowers and I realize that probably the first lot of blades will take a caning until the paddocks are tamed, then a new set of the finishing ones may be the answer. I don't want to cut it short as it is hard enough to grow as it is. Maintenance on a rotary would certainly be simpler for me but I just felt the flail is more suited at present even though maintenance may be higher.
The comments on HP are very encouraging and, yes, I am not in a hurry when it comes to mowing. I have been using a ride-on in some areas but the new areas are just too rough and too hard on my mower. My wife managed to break a brand new deck drive belt one day when a stick flew up. (She couldn't work out why it wasn't cutting any more) LOL
I bought my CK30 HST new in 2006 from memory and have about 430 hours on it. Mostly bucket and post hole work. Clearing trees has been a big part of it and it has performed very well.

The blocks around Grantham are mostly 40 - 60 acres. Some of the productive farms are not much more, just in better productivity areas. I know a couple of farmers and one is keen to loan me his 4'6" slasher but I am not a borrower. I need a mower and will use it so I will buy it. My block is 40 acres but mostly bush and about 9 acres cleared at most. I yearn for a gum tree free block.... We are thinking of moving before too long and have our eyes on another property at present. This is another reason I am considering the flail mower as it would be better on the new block with the finishing blades. In fact I am sure now the flail is the way for me to go.
The fact that my twin cylinder Ride-on can deal with the weeds/grass, I am sure the 5 foot flail should cope OK. I have never heard of overloading a PTO on the CK30 before. It should cope.

Once again, thanks for the comments. I hope to order and get it before Christmas break all going well.

Coyote machine... I got my CK30 Toy Tractor from the local dealer. Sadly it doesn't have a bucket on it like mine. :laughing:

Thanks for the links MortOz

/ Slasher size for a CK30? #8  
You might want to look at the Caroni TM1900 flail. It is 1.9 meters and generally used on 35hp and above but there is no reason you couldn't use it on a 30hp machine to mow a pasture. It probably needs a bit more to efficiently deal with slashing of saplings and heavy brush but once that has been knocked down, 30hp would be fine more mowing. I own one and use it on a DK40se but I rarely put the RPMs above 2000 when PTO speed is 2500 so I think PTO speed on the CK30 would be just fine. I'd do it.

Not sure that they sell Caroni mowers downunder but if they do it is a very good but reasonably priced Italian brand. There are also Chinese made flails and folks over here seem to be having good luck with them too. Cheaper than Caroni. I would imagine you have some native flail manufacturers and that they produce excellent flails just like our higher end Alamo and others but those implements are double the cost of the Caroni here.

/ Slasher size for a CK30? #10  
Thanks Island Tractor. Had a browse but this time of year, this is more my price. FLAIL MOWER HPHD1500 It does have an Italian gearbox. :) Still looking though.
Looks like a very nice unit. Very comparable to the Caroni 1500 series but with hammers. Should serve you well.