CK30 - One cylinder not firing, other two are fine

/ CK30 - One cylinder not firing, other two are fine
Use the larger hex on the injectors ONLY..
If u use the smaller hex, u stand a better than average chance in unscrewing the 2 halves of the injectors.!!
There’s all sorts of springs and shims in there that will be hard to locate..
Ah, thank you! That could have been a rookie mistake! They are on the bigger size, looks like 20-22mm or something like that, will try figure out a way to get down to them easily!

I do so many of these that it’s hard to remember what size they are..
15/16.??
1-1/8.??
Actually they’re metric but standard sockets work just as well..
Incase you haven’t thought of it, u have to replace all the gaskets when u reassemble it..
The bottom of the injector takes a copper gasket..1 for each injector removed.
And the return line takes a gasket..1 for each injector..
AND u need to torque the injectors into the head.!!
50 ftlbs works well..as long as u use the LARGER HEX.!!
And the return line nut, 20-25 ftlbs works well..
Don’t make the common mistake of reassembling the return line wrong..
It goes:
Gasket FIRST,
Then the line..
Then the nut..
Torque..
Amazing, thanks for all the advice. Assuming I get the injectors out...!!... do you think it would be ok to use the same gaskets just to swap them around to make sure thats the problem and there isn't anything else wrong with the 1st cylinder? If so, I can pull them all out and replace the faulty injector and all the gaskets.

/ CK30 - One cylinder not firing, other two are fine #13  
That would be acceptable.. but ur gonna want to replace it with new when done with diagnostics..
U don’t have to put the injector return line on for the diagnostics..unless the line goes back into the filter..
If it does, just pinch off the line so it doesn’t suck air into the filter.
Good luck

Thanks again for all your help / advice. Made some progress (after a visit to the shops) and got 2 of the injectors out (1 and 3). Quick question before I swap them around and try it out, is it worth cracking the suspect injector apart and giving it a very gentle clean inside with carb cleaner? I've seen other do this online and wondering if its got gunked up. The one I suspect of being faulty does have a bit of carbon on it v's the other which is clean.

/ CK30 - One cylinder not firing, other two are fine #15  
If u clean it and it starts working, u won’t know if that was the problem or not..
FIND THE PROBLEM FIRST..
THEN fix it..

Ha, yes thats true! My logic was if I clean it and it all goes back together and it works...I don't have to take it all apart again! As I'm clearly no expert, I will take your advice for sure and do as you advise.

:ROFLMAO: this is true!

/ CK30 - One cylinder not firing, other two are fine #19  
Check that the engine oil isn’t diluted with diesel fuel due to unburnt fuel….

Update: All back together an the engine fired up fine with no white smoke now! All cylinders are firing, I checked this by cracking the fuel lines individually. So thats the good news but I haven't actually changed anything. What did is give a little spray of carb cleaner to the two injectors that I pulled as they picked up some dirt on the way out?!?

The other question I have now is about a knocking noise coming from cylinder 1 on idle. When I crack the fuel line it stops. It goes away when the RPM increases. I have no idea if this has always been there because I've never had the hood up and had my head in there listening but its quite audible. In my research I did hear other say the engines could be noisy like this. Any thoughts?