CK30 - One cylinder not firing, other two are fine

/ CK30 - One cylinder not firing, other two are fine #1  

JimHall

Tractor
CK30 - 2007
Hi All, first time posting here after doing a lot of reading! Trying to diagnose a problem with my CK30. Was running fine but now on start up, I get a lot of white smoke. I have pulled all 3 glow plugs and they all seem to be fine. It is the cylinder closest to the driver seat that causing the problem. I can feel the exhaust manifold getting hot on the other 2 cylinders but the other one stays cold. After about 5mins on idle the problem cylinder seems to pick back up and get hot and the white smoke stops when the revs are up. But the idle is quite rough and a slight knocking at higher rmp. I haven't got into the fuel injectors yet as the white clouds of smoke would indicate (to me at least) that there is fuel getting in there. Before I get any deeper, thought I would post here to see if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks,

/ CK30 - One cylinder not firing, other two are fine #2  
Before u start it again, loosen the steel lines AT THE INJECTORS .. for that matter u can take them off..
Slide the nut back so u can see the end of the line when sitting in the seat..
Now crank the engine & watch the fuel squirting out of the lines..
Are all 3 pumping fuel.??
U can’t tell the quantity of fuel being pumped but it should give u an idea..
If all 3 are pumping, the problem most likely lies in the injector..
U can remove the injectors and swap holes and see if the problem follows the injector..
Good luck

/ CK30 - One cylinder not firing, other two are fine
Before u start it again, loosen the steel lines AT THE INJECTORS .. for that matter u can take them off..
Slide the nut back so u can see the end of the line when sitting in the seat..
Now crank the engine & watch the fuel squirting out of the lines..
Are all 3 pumping fuel.??
U can’t tell the quantity of fuel being pumped but it should give u an idea..
If all 3 are pumping, the problem most likely lies in the injector..
U can remove the injectors and swap holes and see if the problem follows the injector..
Good luck
Thanks so much for the advice, I actually started to pull the steel fuel line off the first injector as my plan was to swap them around. I got the fuel line off no problem but the next bolt down (which seems to hold down a pipe that connects all 3 injectors is so tight it wont budge at all. I've given it some penetrating spray and letting it sit for a bit but if there are any tips to remove this...other than force...please to let me know!

I will go back and check if all three lines are pumping fuel whilst I wait.

/ CK30 - One cylinder not firing, other two are fine #4  
   / CK30 - One cylinder not firing, other two are fine #5  
The only way I’ve been able to loosen the nuts without breaking the line is with a hand impact driver / w a hammer and a 17mm socket..
Otherwise the line WILL TURN AND BREAK THE LINE.

/ CK30 - One cylinder not firing, other two are fine #6  
U need to see IF the pump is pumping fuel TO that cylinder before u go to the injectors..

/ CK30 - One cylinder not firing, other two are fine
Confirmed that the pump is pumping to all 3 cylinders, put my fingers on all 3 and there is a good amount of pressure there. Manage to get the nuts off and remove the fuel overflow lines. Now onto the next nut which is even harder to get to and also I don't have a 19mm socket thats deep enough to get to it and a spanner is very tricky to get in there. And...they are very tight again.

/ CK30 - One cylinder not firing, other two are fine #9  
Use the larger hex on the injectors ONLY..
If u use the smaller hex, u stand a better than average chance in unscrewing the 2 halves of the injectors.!!
There’s all sorts of springs and shims in there that will be hard to locate..

/ CK30 - One cylinder not firing, other two are fine #10  
I do so many of these that it’s hard to remember what size they are..
15/16.??
1-1/8.??
Actually they’re metric but standard sockets work just as well..
Incase you haven’t thought of it, u have to replace all the gaskets when u reassemble it..
The bottom of the injector takes a copper gasket..1 for each injector removed.
And the return line takes a gasket..1 for each injector..
AND u need to torque the injectors into the head.!!
50 ftlbs works well..as long as u use the LARGER HEX.!!
And the return line nut, 20-25 ftlbs works well..
Don’t make the common mistake of reassembling the return line wrong..
It goes:
Gasket FIRST,
Then the line..
Then the nut..
Torque..

Last edited: