Slab capacity

/ Slab capacity #1  

Dan Hunter

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 3720 eHydro
As I haul all my implements into my building it crossed my mind as to whether I might be stressing the slab. It's a 30 x 40 Mueller building. The concrete was poured to Mueller's specifications. I'm living out of one half at the ranch when I'm there and storing on the other half my:

3720 and FEL
MX5 mower
6' box blade
6' disc harrow
7' landscape rake
bucket
tree shear
grapple

...a total of maybe 8 tons spread out rather evenly with a fair amount of contact points compared to my attached garage at home. I'm thinking it shouldn't be a problem but wanted check here to see if I'm missing something.

Opinions?

/ Slab capacity #2  
I found Mueller building's website, but they don't say anything about concrete specs that I could find - however, your tractor doesn't weigh any more than an SUV and as you said, the load is spread around. I would think that, even if Mueller puts the same crappy slab in that the average spec home gets, it shouldn't be a problem.

When I converted a 36 x 48 pole barn into my shop, I had the concrete guy put 6" of compacted 3/4 minus crushed rock down, followed by 6" of reinforced concrete - but I have clay soil (poor drainage) and my smallest tractor is around 5000, and my full size backhoe weighs around 12,000. I didn't want a big divot in my floor if I needed to lift the entire machine with the hoe bucket.

In your case, I wouldn't worry much... Steve

/ Slab capacity #3  
How thick is the slab, how much rebar, etc.? How was the soil preparation accomplished? What type soil? As many details as you can please.

Last edited:
   / Slab capacity #4  
How thick is the slab, how much rebar, etc.? How was the soil preparation accomplished? What type soil? As many details as you can please.

That is what I was thinking as well, also the PSI of the concrete. I would venture though, that the slab can handle anything you can put in there.(Done properly)

/ Slab capacity #5  
I wouldn't worry. All my concrete is 3.5" ( 2x4 forms) I park my 15,000 lb tractor and my 25,000 lb international truck on it everyday with no issues.