Skid Shoe repair.

/ Skid Shoe repair. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
My bushhogs and LPGS have skid shoes that are replaceable. I've had to replace all of them once and am about to put a new set on my 6' cutter.

As expected, replacements are expensive. A 1/4" piece of steel, 2" wide and 19 5/8" long with one bend for $50. The "worn out" ones are only worn at the bend. That leaves a lot of metal that could be cut from one and welded to another.

Prior to reading this forum I'd never have worried about changing the hardness of a piece of metal but my questions about a disc produced much info that makes me think.

So, anyone got any reason I shouldn't cut one of the old sets of shoes apart and weld to another old set to create a serviceable skid shoe for the next time they need changing?

I'm going to need to figure out how, with minimal tools available, to bend the steel but that shouldn't be hard.

I gave thought to cutting out the worn section and welding in a new section and then I realized "Its a skid shoe. Adding another layer will only result in 1/4" less minimum cutting height...on a bushhog!"

Lastly, I know some will respond about "What is your time worth?" For a guy learning to weld and looking for projects, I think it would be well worth the time.

/ Skid Shoe repair. #2  
you wannna bend a couple inches of 1/4" steel?
If you have a couple propane torches you can heat it and bend it.

I bent the daylights outta my post hole digger it was too much for my torches. So I used my TIG torch to heat it to glowing and hammered it straight. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that using a carbon rod one could use a stick welder to the same effect.

/ Skid Shoe repair. #3  
You don't need a torch to bend 2" wide 1/4" flat stock just clamp it in a vise and bend it.

/ Skid Shoe repair. #4  
just clamp it in a vise and bend it.
I needed a torch before I had a heavy vice. I'm guessing he ain't git one of those.
The number of things that expensive honking vice will do and do better than almost anything else is astonishing. But until you realize this the cost seems excessive.

/ Skid Shoe repair. #5  
Save money. Stop dragging your implements on the ground. That's what the lift lever is for--You can adjust the height. ;)

/ Skid Shoe repair. #6  
I wouldn't remove the old one, just weld a new flat bar on the worn out one, tack weld the new flat bar on one end and hammer it until its shape to the existing one and weld the rest. Also you don't have to bend it in one shot you can do it in section inch by inch tack weld hammer it in and repeat, even if you have a small gap tack weld it and hammer it down while its still red and that will pull it together.

But a vice is a good investment.

/ Skid Shoe repair. #7  
When you get the new parts welded up, run a few beads of Stellite hard surface rod over the wear areas and never worry about them again. It's amazing how well it keeps things from wearing.

/ Skid Shoe repair. #9  
Who cares if it's softer than the origional? You have a welder. Just weld on a new patch when you wear out this patch. It's a tractor in a field doing 5, not a trailer doing 65 down the freeway that could kill people if a weld fails.

Of you care enough to make it last, spend the money on hard facing rod. It's not like the welds need to be pretty in the slightest either. They only exist to get ground & worn down.

/ Skid Shoe repair. #10  
my shoes were optional standard or hardened steel. got the hardened..10 years ago,. still going strong