Signs of dementia

/ Signs of dementia #61  
Ask him some questions, like what day it is or what year it is.. what is his birthday and year. Then ask him who the president is. Who just got elected president. Things like this is what a Dr. will ask him and it will become evident very quickly if he has dementia. My wife just went through this with a dear friend she was helping to take care of and that is exactly what the Dr. did. Medicine is helping her now. Not a cure, but does help.

/ Signs of dementia #62  
Most of these would be answered incorrectly... especially day of the week and month.

/ Signs of dementia #63  
Most of these would be answered incorrectly... especially day of the week and month.

I would hesitate before answering what day of the week it is. I only have two. Saturday and Sunday. Six Saturdays and one Sunday. :)

/ Signs of dementia #64  
Yesterday I got the look of disappointment from Mom... saying it's Easter Sunday and none of her Grandkids are going to church with her...

It isn't Easter and last Easter and Christmas the kids all went to church with her.

I let it slip that church is causing a lot of her confusion... for 50 years that Mom has been attending they always had weekday mornings, Saturday Evening and 4 services on Sunday with 3 standing room only if you did not get there early...

In 2015 they went from 10 per week to 3 services...

The weekly bulletin gets referred to 25 times a week and I get calls asking what happened to 8 am services fairly regular...

/ Signs of dementia #65  
My wife's father was recently diagnosed with dementia, and I was not aware of the variety of ways it can affect people.

In his case, the onset was quite rapid, and his primary symptom is chronic horrible delusions. His family ended up calling 911, because he was freaking out, and they were afraid he was going to have a stroke.

In the emergency room, he would tell everyone he met about all the people he had killed and was going to kill. He's going to commit suicide, he doesn't believe in God, he IS God, he's going to hell. He thinks the hospital is going to cut off his arms and leave him helpless and in pain. It's just an incessant stream of horrible nonsense.

It has been an ongoing process to see if there is any combination of medications that can improve his quality of life. There has been some improvement in his anxiety level, but nothing so far has been able to stop the delusions, and his general mental capacity continues to noticeably decline.

Ugly stuff.

/ Signs of dementia #66  
No one answer…

Many believe dementia removes the filters and your true self comes out…

Medication or combination taken can be the cause just as forgetting to take or forgetting you just took your dosage.

No simple answers but I found sometimes just being agreeable to the outlandish even if it means a white lie can do wonders to put those suffering at ease.

The problem is it can exhaust caregivers…

/ Signs of dementia #67  
My wife's father was recently diagnosed with dementia, and I was not aware of the variety of ways it can affect people.

In his case, the onset was quite rapid, and his primary symptom is chronic horrible delusions. His family ended up calling 911, because he was freaking out, and they were afraid he was going to have a stroke.

In the emergency room, he would tell everyone he met about all the people he had killed and was going to kill. He's going to commit suicide, he doesn't believe in God, he IS God, he's going to hell. He thinks the hospital is going to cut off his arms and leave him helpless and in pain. It's just an incessant stream of horrible nonsense.

It has been an ongoing process to see if there is any combination of medications that can improve his quality of life. There has been some improvement in his anxiety level, but nothing so far has been able to stop the delusions, and his general mental capacity continues to noticeably decline.

Ugly stuff.
Very sorry to hear this. It's a rough road to go down.

/ Signs of dementia #68  
Something to look into as well, often missed by the doctors.

/ Signs of dementia #69  
My Mother in law just passed away 2 months ago. 5 years of dementia. She lived with us for the last 4 of them. It was shocking to watch. Really crushed my wife.