Signs of dementia

/ Signs of dementia #41  
Yeah, and I'm about to turn 77, which is the age my Dad and his Dad each started showing signs of Alzheimers. The final straw that made us put Dad in a nursing home was when I walked in their home early one morning, smelled gas, and found all 4 burners on the cookstove turned all the way on as high as they'd go, but not lit. Dad still smoked back then. Thank goodness he had not tried to light a cigarette yet that morning. He had decided it was too cool in the house that morning, so he turned on the burners on the stove.

My Dad died at 74.

There are three of us kids. Early on it became apparent I was going to get the role of "bad cop". I was the one to tell him he couldn't drive. I was the one to tell him he couldn't go for walks in the timber alone anymore. I was the one that took him to the Nursing Home when the day came. I was normally the one that got yelled at and called names. Toward the end he would be talking to me in a very negative way about me. Calling my name and saying what a horrible Son I was. My Mother and Siblings came to rely on me for all the "dirty work".

Right in the middle of that time I lost a teenage Son in an auto accident. A year after Eric died my wife of 25 years left. That same year Dad died. I planned his funeral. Those were dark days. I survived them because of my inner Faith. I suggest to anyone dealing with dementia in a family member to get themselves strong. They will need it.

Don't mean to distract from the OP's situation. Just wanting to say that many have gone thru similar situations. In the case of dealing with a parent, the hard part is realizing you are now the parent.

/ Signs of dementia #42  
My Dad was a part of a study at Kansas University when he was diagnosed. Gave him a double blind placebo drug. Took him there once a month for testing. One of the tests that they did on him EVERY time was to give him a piece of paper with a circle drawn on it and a pencil. Told him to think of this circle as a clock and to add the numbers where they belonged. EVERY time he started with the 12 at the top, going clockwise adding the other numbers. Number 11 was ALWAYS at the bottom of the circle with no numbers on the left half at all. EVERY time.

Odd how the disease messes with the "vision to brain connection".

We just did that test on Mary. In my opinion she failed. She was unable to place the numbers on the clock face with constantly looking over at an analog clock in the room. Even when asked "not to cheat" multiple times she continued to look over at the clock face. She could not do it without the visual aid. Note to testers: do not have an analog clock in the room!

/ Signs of dementia #43  
We just did that test on Mary. In my opinion she failed. She was unable to place the numbers on the clock face with constantly looking over at an analog clock in the room. Even when asked "not to cheat" multiple times she continued to look over at the clock face. She could not do it without the visual aid. Note to testers: do not have an analog clock in the room!

Another test they always did. Speaking as the tester now. "Bob, I'm going to tell you three colors, the are Red, Blue, Green and then I'm going to ask you to say them back to me. The colors are Red, Blue, Green. Do you understand what I want you to do Bob? He'd say Yep. Okay Bob, those colors are Red, Blue, Green. Got it? He'd say Yep. Okay Bob, what are the colors? He never got them all. In the beginning he might get two, never three. After about six months he couldn't get any.

/ Signs of dementia #44  
Watch the microwave especially. A couple of years ago Linda's mom meant to set the timer on the microwave to time something else, and instead she turned on the microwave with nothing in it. Linda walked in many minutes later and the microwave was arcing inside and was smoking hot. The magnetron has never been the same after that and we have to extend "recommended cooking times" . She had totally forgotten the microwave. She is now forbidden to work any of the appliances.

Yep... so far it is setting the timer for 1 second or forgetting what has been heated inside.

Mom loved to cook with her pressure cooker... the last three times were a disaster... I finally had to say it's broken and said we could buy a new one but they are expensive and she said better not.

Appointments of all kinds are becoming problematic... especially Doctor appointments...

She called her cardiologist and to say she would not be coming anymore as she found a Doctor nearby... the nearby Doctor is her eye Doctor.... so when I got that straight it wasn't a few weeks when she called her Eye Doctor and said she is back with her old Doctor the cardiologist...

What causes me stress is when she is cleaning out the closets or dresser drawers... she had a diamond ring out with things for goodwill... which is fine if she really wanted to do that but she thought all the jewelry was costume and it was real... not that she has much except what was passed down through the family...

The Grandkids each get $200 for Christmas and have since they were born... I make sure it is a check so there is a record... this Christmas was hard because messages left at work asking me to go the bank and pick up nice $20 bills for the kids... of course it is a gift but I asked why $20 and she said OK... make it $40 saying that is a lot because she got $5 from her Grandmother on birthdays.

They never visit but also are very busy... year round sports in programs that cost $400 or more each month... one side I take about once every 10 days to the farm... which she loves going because she always finds ways to help... even if it is raking, pruning or stacking firewood...

The other side not nearly as often as they have a schedule that never quits and when they do have a break they always head out of town for those days...

/ Signs of dementia #45  
Another test they always did. Speaking as the tester now. "Bob, I'm going to tell you three colors, the are Red, Blue, Green and then I'm going to ask you to say them back to me. The colors are Red, Blue, Green. Do you understand what I want you to do Bob? He'd say Yep. Okay Bob, those colors are Red, Blue, Green. Got it? He'd say Yep. Okay Bob, what are the colors? He never got them all. In the beginning he might get two, never three. After about six months he couldn't get any.

Yep, failed that one too Red Blue Green came out to " Lets see Red, Green, What the heck was the other one?"

/ Signs of dementia #46  
Red Green Blue no problem...

Clock not too bad... 12 to 6 no problem... 6 to 12 scrunched in... but the clock picture also came with hands!

We have a funeral to go to today... she knows the person died and I did not tell her the date/time in advance.

It's today at 1 and we will leave around 12...

Since I mentioned it this morning, she has asked and at least a dozen times when and where and wrote it in the calendar and on note paper... had I mentioned it a few days earlier it would have been torment for her because her greatest fear is not remembering and she was NEVER a person to be late or not ready... so it is obsessive to be punctual...

/ Signs of dementia #47  
Yep, failed that one too Red Blue Green came out to " Lets see Red, Green, What the heck was the other one?"

I think the medical profession has done a good job of designing tests like these to separate the various types of dementia. Obviously the clock and color tests have proven themselves. It was 1992 when my Dad started taking those tests. Sadly funny how similar the answers are for those suffering similar problems.

Dad got very paranoid. That's what made us finally move him to a Nursing Home. Our MD told my Mom "we can either put Bob in a Home or you in a Hospital". She was exhausted.

/ Signs of dementia #48  
I think the medical profession has done a good job of designing tests like these to separate the various types of dementia. Obviously the clock and color tests have proven themselves. It was 1992 when my Dad started taking those tests. Sadly funny how similar the answers are for those suffering similar problems.

Dad got very paranoid. That's what made us finally move him to a Nursing Home. Our MD told my Mom "we can either put Bob in a Home or you in a Hospital". She was exhausted.

Yes, such simple tests, but they tell so much. And this is after she has been taking Namenda for about 6 months now.

/ Signs of dementia #49  
Mom's diagnosis was 15 years ago although she realized she was not as sharp as she use to be and stepped down from Charge Nurse 25 years ago... admin was shocked as her department was tops... but she said she wanted it to stay that way.

So she really has done quite well given the length of time...

Since I last posted... she has asked 3 more times when the funeral is today... mind you she knows the person is deceased and she knows there is a service... just concerned about being late...

Update... she just called to say she is dressed and ready to leave... almost 3 hours early.

/ Signs of dementia #50  
Mom's diagnosis was 15 years ago although she realized she was not as sharp as she use to be and stepped down from Charge Nurse 25 years ago... admin was shocked as her department was tops... but she said she wanted it to stay that way.

So she really has done quite well given the length of time...

Since I last posted... she has asked 3 more times when the funeral is today... mind you she knows the person is deceased and she knows there is a service... just concerned about being late...

Update... she just called to say she is dressed and ready to leave... almost 3 hours early.

Her concern for tardiness is how I would be. I'm never late for anything. The correct arrival time to me is at least 15 minutes early. I guess that kind of behavior would be paramount in her condition.

All you guys dealing with this are in my thoughts and prayers. I remember like it was yesterday.