Side by Side or 4x4

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #123  
The last of the CJ Jeeps and every model since then use wider axles by about 6-8 or so inches and won't fit through 60 inch posts. Many older ones won't, either, since things like mirrors, handles, spare tire, etc. added to the body side make it over 60 inches wide.

Bruce

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #124  
Guess your right when you take mirrors and fender flares into account. I think it was my rear bumper that measured in at 60". Still, a lot of the new sxs aren't exactly tiny anymore.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #125  
Just to be clear, I was pushing the early CJ - 2a, 3a, 3b, and the early CJ5. Check out www.ewillys.com for a listing of Jeeps across the country. There are many restored Jeeps in the modern sxs price range. And just for fun, watch some of the old videos showing what these "Workhorses of the Farm" could - and can - do.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #126  
Just to be clear, I was pushing the early CJ - 2a, 3a, 3b, and the early CJ5. Check out www.ewillys.com for a listing of Jeeps across the country. There are many restored Jeeps in the modern sxs price range. And just for fun, watch some of the old videos showing what these "Workhorses of the Farm" could - and can - do.
How many of those have dump beds?

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #127  
My wife and I have been looking at getting a side by side for running up and down the mountains in southeast KY. It seems the cheap ones start at about 8000 and they go up from there. The JD Gators can easily be 25000. Even used the resale seems fairly high for what it is.
My daughter was looking at a 2013 RAM 4x4 shortbed - 185000 miles. It was $6500. I took it for a test drive and it seemed fine - it needs a new heater core which I'm factoring in.

I can't really see why the side by sides are so high when a truck like this probably can about everything for just driving around the homestead - and maybe once in a while driving into town.

Why would someone get a gator/side by side if you can get a beater 4x4 truck for less money? What am I missing here?
What are you thoughts on this?
My son bought a can-am defender for his apiary and I started using it routinely on our 15 acres. Found it to be convenient for projects on the access road and field work instead of the pickup. Don’t worry about scratches / dents in my $50k truck.
So when he bought his homestead and I lost access to his side by side I started looking for one, and your right new or used they command a premium price. I dismissed new as to the price and looked to used. One of my prerequisites was heated cab as we live in northern NH and I would be using it year round. After searching for a couple of months we located one with cab and high miles (used in a well drilling business) no trail miles! As this unit was located in GA. I wanted dealer to send many pics & videos which he did. We came to an agreed price over the phone and three days later we loaded it onto the trailer.
Like any purchase with unknown maintenance history I proceeded to changed all fluids and filters per the owners manual. As I checked over the defender I found the previous owner had written down when oil/filter/belts had been changed by date & engine hours. Like any used machine we did come across a few discrepancies mostly Electrical in nature. Can-am’s a notorious for bad electrical switches (nothing a C note couldn’t cure)! Bad spark plug wires and boots an additional $144.00 runs smooth now and starts easily even when -20F.
So bottom line our 2019 Can-am 1000 defender with heated cab and all factory accessories with10,260 miles cost us $16,200.00
I hope this gives you an idea where the market is at. Good luck with your search.

Steve H.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #128  
My son bought a can-am defender for his apiary and I started using it routinely on our 15 acres. Found it to be convenient for projects on the access road and field work instead of the pickup. Don’t worry about scratches / dents in my $50k truck.
So when he bought his homestead and I lost access to his side by side I started looking for one, and your right new or used they command a premium price. I dismissed new as to the price and looked to used. One of my prerequisites was heated cab as we live in northern NH and I would be using it year round. After searching for a couple of months we located one with cab and high miles (used in a well drilling business) no trail miles! As this unit was located in GA. I wanted dealer to send many pics & videos which he did. We came to an agreed price over the phone and three days later we loaded it onto the trailer.
Like any purchase with unknown maintenance history I proceeded to changed all fluids and filters per the owners manual. As I checked over the defender I found the previous owner had written down when oil/filter/belts had been changed by date & engine hours. Like any used machine we did come across a few discrepancies mostly Electrical in nature. Can-am’s a notorious for bad electrical switches (nothing a C note couldn’t cure)! Bad spark plug wires and boots an additional $144.00 runs smooth now and starts easily even when -20F.
So bottom line our 2019 Can-am 1000 defender with heated cab and all factory accessories with10,260 miles cost us $16,200.00
I hope this gives you an idea where the market is at. Good luck with your search.

Steve H.
Nice price.

We have 2022 Can Am Defender limited 4 four door with heat and a/c, we sold our 2019 Can Am Defender Cab with heat and 6500 miles last March for $23,000, a $1,000.00 more than we paid for it 3 years earlier.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #130  
My wife and I have been looking at getting a side by side for running up and down the mountains in southeast KY. It seems the cheap ones start at about 8000 and they go up from there. The JD Gators can easily be 25000. Even used the resale seems fairly high for what it is.
My daughter was looking at a 2013 RAM 4x4 shortbed - 185000 miles. It was $6500. I took it for a test drive and it seemed fine - it needs a new heater core which I'm factoring in.

I can't really see why the side by sides are so high when a truck like this probably can about everything for just driving around the homestead - and maybe once in a while driving into town.

Why would someone get a gator/side by side if you can get a beater 4x4 truck for less money? What am I missing here?
What are you thoughts on this?
Agree,a truck is an all around better idea,towing,hauling,power and like you say,run to town,i would love to have a gator but just not affordable or practical,i bought a 90 jeep wrangler for $5k thats not alot bigger footprint than a sidexside but more useable and parts are cheaper and any labor i can do