Side by Side or 4x4

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #101  
I keep thinking of an old S-10 4x4 pickup. Even if you had to sink a couple thousand into it, you'd be money ahead of a cheap side by side. Just my 2 cents.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #102  
We have several 4x4 pickups, numerous tractors, several ATV's and a few UTV's. They all have there place.
There is absolutely no way a Jeep or pickup can do what the ATV's and UTV's can do especially when the ground is soft
or swampy or working cows. There is no way the ATV's and UTV's can replace the pickups and none of them can replace
the tractors.
I have even added a soft cab and a heater to my UTV for the winter.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #103  
We resisted getting a UTV for 20 years. I had a beater Toyota 4x4 but it was too big and unwieldy for our steep land with loose soil and lots of trees, so it couldn't really go anywhere off road.

We finally capitulated and got a Honda Pioneer 700 about five years ago. It's so incredibly useful. I can haul my saws up the hill to do work and not be half worn out before I even start cutting. We got a 4x8 ATV dump trailer which is also really useful and greatly increases the UTV's capacity.

If our land was not as steep, more open and didn't have loose tractionless soil, a small 4x4 truck would work well.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #105  
I've got a lot of toys. I have an electric sxs that I recently upgraded to Lithium batteries. It's awesome. Weighs 2000 lbs, hauls 800 and can two 1500. As others have said, different tools for different jobs. But for running around, hunting, snow plowing and other light duty stuff, I love the sxs, especially in electric as it is so quiet. I had a diesle Mule, and it worked great, but it was so damn loud, I got rid of it.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #106  
My wife and I have been looking at getting a side by side for running up and down the mountains in southeast KY. It seems the cheap ones start at about 8000 and they go up from there. The JD Gators can easily be 25000. Even used the resale seems fairly high for what it is.
My daughter was looking at a 2013 RAM 4x4 shortbed - 185000 miles. It was $6500. I took it for a test drive and it seemed fine - it needs a new heater core which I'm factoring in.

I can't really see why the side by sides are so high when a truck like this probably can about everything for just driving around the homestead - and maybe once in a while driving into town.

Why would someone get a gator/side by side if you can get a beater 4x4 truck for less money? What am I missing here?
What are you thoughts on this?

UTV's used to be a decent buy...but that was well over a decade (actually 2) ago. I left the industry for another career path when these UTV's started to become a hot commodity (specifically Kawasaki Mule line), but now the prices for these are WAY out reasonable territory. MUCH better to buy an older 4x4 Japanese made pickup and use that (they are smaller physically than any domestic and arguably will be of much better quality than anything Frod/GM built in the "compact pickup" segment. It will be MUCH more useful and way less in price. I currently have 2 of these. A 1997 Nissan Hardbody and a 2003 Toyota Tundra. Both run like they were new and can pull trailers (small trailer for the Nissan). The NEW price of the Toyota in 2002 was about the same price as a basic 4 place 4x4 UTV now. FJB and the inflation continues to skyrocket!

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #107  
Wow, I guess I am in the minority opinion here, but side by sides (or UTVs) are NOT really farm equipment. This is MY opinion and here are my reasons. They are toys. They are SUPER high priced (as you are finding out) and the parts availability is almost non-existent after about 10 years.
As you see, you can get a fully street legal truck for less. This is a truck with heat, enclosed cab, radio, wipers, maybe A/C, and a ton of other features. If you get a 'beater' it will go most places the UTV can go. I have a beater Jeep TJ and that will go any place a UTV can go. But I can also drive that down the shore, I can take it in deep snow, it can haul a lot more than most UTVs. I can also put 4 people in it!
A UTV is a 'fun' vehicle, but limited to off road use. They are not really as durable and repairable as a small 4X4. I'm not saying UTVs are worthless, but I when you think of them more as a toy than a tool, you can better compare them to a 4X4. If you are mostly using it for work, and live in places that get cold, snow, rain, etc, a 4X4 is the way to go. If you are only looking to ride around a larger property, and don't need to use it for real work in all conditions, a UTV is fine.

Bring your jeep over and try to follow me through my property while I’m on my Kubota 1100 RTV
Guarantee you can’t

Seeing as how I have had 4 different jeep wranglers the last being an 2006LJ
That I wish I had back.
Jeep wranglers are toys, and fun to play with, especially topless.
But if my RTV is a toy,
it’s the slowest most boring toy I’ve ever owned.
But for a farm workhorse,
it’s been perfect
Not cheap, but a great tool on our farm

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #108  
My wife and I have been looking at getting a side by side for running up and down the mountains in southeast KY. It seems the cheap ones start at about 8000 and they go up from there. The JD Gators can easily be 25000. Even used the resale seems fairly high for what it is.
My daughter was looking at a 2013 RAM 4x4 shortbed - 185000 miles. It was $6500. I took it for a test drive and it seemed fine - it needs a new heater core which I'm factoring in.

I can't really see why the side by sides are so high when a truck like this probably can about everything for just driving around the homestead - and maybe once in a while driving into town.

Why would someone get a gator/side by side if you can get a beater 4x4 truck for less money? What am I missing here?
What are you thoughts on this?
You can answer that question for yourself. We cannot do it for you, only can saw what we would do in our own situation.

But you "gotta pay to play". Those who pay are setting that price high where it is, depending on the ride chosen. Won't get to play in a gator without spending some extra bucks. A hard-life lesson. But think you (maybe not your wife) will opt for the 2013 Ram ;) :D:D

I have a 4x2 Gator and will use that on my woods trails way before even thinking about taking my 2009 Trailblazer with 160,000 miles.

Attachments

• Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    978.7 KB · Views: 49
   / Side by Side or 4x4 #109  
I have a pickup for going to work and to the store. Tractors for mowing, lifting and snow removal. I just bought a Kawasaki Mule Pro-Mx because I always wanted a SXS. It goes places none of the above will think about.

Dave

496A4468.jpg

Last edited:
   / Side by Side or 4x4 #110  
Barry, love the farm jeep site. Great job on that site. It inspired me to go with the Stratton 3pt hitch and rear pto. I have the twin stick front pto to add but I think I will go another way with a front utility box when not plowing.

My cj5 is a bit bigger than your cj3 but it gets where I need it. The 5 is the same dimensions as neighbor’s RTV (actually about 6” narrower) and was faster, quieter, didn’t get stuck as much where we live, cheaper etc.

If I need super light (only benefit of sxs for me), I have plenty of other options

There is no “right” answer. Give and take on every machine. I like the older tech. The rtv did hold its value when he sold it though. Definitely, in demand

Last edited: