Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok?

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #41  
I agree DK35vince - the utility machines stick within the design spec for the belt system with room to spare.

All the sport machines get run hard BUT the Can-Am and Polaris seem to favor the high HP which I believe is part of the problem. This is where the belts become the weak spot and cause issues. All brands have people running larger tires, and even portals so that normally is not the whole problem. I run 4" larger tires on our one Honda and it caused zero issues. Why, because the machine is not run hard and Honda over designed the parts to allow for larger tires (they knew most people oversize the tires).
Portals normally reduce the gear ratio so that does help offset the larger tires being used on those machines to some extent. Well within reason that it. Generally speaking, Yamaha and Kawasaki have a slightly better-designed and more durable belt/clutch system. Honda skipped the belt and went with a duel clutch and gear system. It still has some quirks but overall is a solid design.
Anytime you design an off-road vehicle and sell it, you need to account for the "idiot factor" - you know that guy, the one that uses it as a submarine or low-flying aircraft. Some companies account for the "idiot factor" a little better than others. All the machines are fine if used within their design specs, but when they get pushed is when the weakness starts to quickly show.
Ageed.
I have 10,700 miles on my RZR 900s.
Never had a belt issue, but I have replaced the belt a couple times just for piece of mind.
The belts I replaced still looked really good with around 4500 miles. (I carry them for spare).
But my wife and I ride to have fun and enjoy the scenery, not to see how far we can jump and how deep of mudhole we dive into.

Last edited:
   / Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #42  
Good morning everyone,

I might start looking for side by side for my property. I want it to have a dump bed and it only needs to be enough for 2 people to sit in. Property is rolling but not steep. For those with experience is 2x4 good enough or is 4x4 absolutely necessary? I will be moving around dirt, sticks, maybe pulling a small trailer, driving to mailbox, etc. I don't plan on any real heavy towing or driving in real muddy conditions.

Anyone own 2x4 and happy with it? Don't want to regret not getting 4x4. I appreciate any and all insight on this.
Sounds like a toro workman would be a nice model for that type work.

Toro Workman UTV utility Dump Cart 4x2 Gator side by side - general...

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #44  
Good morning everyone,

I might start looking for side by side for my property. I want it to have a dump bed and it only needs to be enough for 2 people to sit in. Property is rolling but not steep. For those with experience is 2x4 good enough or is 4x4 absolutely necessary? I will be moving around dirt, sticks, maybe pulling a small trailer, driving to mailbox, etc. I don't plan on any real heavy towing or driving in real muddy conditions.

Anyone own 2x4 and happy with it? Don't want to regret not getting 4x4. I appreciate any and all insight on this.

I bought a Honda Pioneer 700-4 with dump bed.
If you have a chance go drive different brands such as Kubota, Kawasaki, Honda, etc.
Operate the dump bed and other controls in each and find what works for you.
I believe the Honda and Kubota are the only belt-less, geared automatic transmission.
I would recommend 4wd and power steering. Buy once, Cry once.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #48  
I bought a Honda Pioneer 700-4 with dump bed.
If you have a chance go drive different brands such as Kubota, Kawasaki, Honda, etc.
Operate the dump bed and other controls in each and find what works for you.
I believe the Honda and Kubota are the only belt-less, geared automatic transmission.
I would recommend 4wd and power steering. Buy once, Cry once.
I originally planned to get a Honda. The belt-less transmission was one reason but I have several other Honda products and always liked the quality and reliability. I changed my mind for two reasons, the engine location (looks much harder to work on) and the heat issue I kept reading about when engine heat makes it way into the cab. I still could have gone either way but the fact that Polaris is USA made was the final decision breaker.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #49  
Tractor tread rears on our Ezgo makes it more functional on snow and slick places. Cost was $160.

A couple weeks later the Tractor Supply red UT400 was on sale for $7500 ($1500 off). It was bad timing due to buying a new car but it's handy. The Ezgo needs new batteries and the wife and I prefer for light stuff and running around the place.

The son and I used the UT400 with a heavy 5 x 10 tilt trailer to move 18 bales of hay at a time. Our smallest tractor is a 3600 Ford so the side by side a good fit. The UT 700 would have been an overkill and harder to get in and out of. Prices are over the top but it's handy and the wife handles it well.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #50  
I originally planned to get a Honda. The belt-less transmission was one reason but I have several other Honda products and always liked the quality and reliability. I changed my mind for two reasons, the engine location (looks much harder to work on) and the heat issue I kept reading about when engine heat makes it way into the cab. I still could have gone either way but the fact that Polaris is USA made was the final decision breaker.
Honda UTVs are made in South Carolina here in the USA