Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok?

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
Good morning everyone,

I might start looking for side by side for my property. I want it to have a dump bed and it only needs to be enough for 2 people to sit in. Property is rolling but not steep. For those with experience is 2x4 good enough or is 4x4 absolutely necessary? I will be moving around dirt, sticks, maybe pulling a small trailer, driving to mailbox, etc. I don't plan on any real heavy towing or driving in real muddy conditions.

Anyone own 2x4 and happy with it? Don't want to regret not getting 4x4. I appreciate any and all insight on this.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #2  
If you're going to be driving on lawn, or on pavement with turns very often, look for one with a rear differential. It's sometimes called "turf mode". My Honda Pioneer 700 has been incredibly useful but I drive it on pavement more than I expected, and since it's got no rear diff, it goes through rear tires faster than it ought to. When I take it on the lawn I try to only make very gradual turns, which limits its usefulness there.

I use 4x4 maybe 10% of the time but for that 10%, it's pretty important. One advantage besides not getting stuck is chewing up the roads less than spinning rear tires would. We don't get mud because the soil drains so well, but that means that it's loose and can have low traction. And our land is steep. On flattish land that's hardpack and does not get muddy you'd probably never need 4x4.

The gas cylinder that helps the dump bed is pretty weak. If there's heavy stuff like firewood in the bed I have to unload most of it by hand.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #3  
If you're going to be driving on lawn, or on pavement with turns very often, look for one with a rear differential. It's sometimes called "turf mode". My Honda Pioneer 700 has been incredibly useful but I drive it on pavement more than I expected, and since it's got no rear diff, it goes through rear tires faster than it ought to. When I take it on the lawn I try to only make very gradual turns, which limits its usefulness there.

I use 4x4 maybe 10% of the time but for that 10%, it's pretty important. One advantage besides not getting stuck is chewing up the roads less than spinning rear tires would. We don't get mud because the soil drains so well, but that means that it's loose and can have low traction. And our land is steep. On flattish land that's hardpack and does not get muddy you'd probably never need 4x4.

The gas cylinder that helps the dump bed is pretty weak. If there's heavy stuff like firewood in the bed I have to unload most of it by hand.
Also have a Poineer 700-4; and the rears eat of the grass if you drive the same path very often. Now, I will say, with that locked rear, you really have to be in rough stuff to need 4x4. Ours is a pretty stripped model; no power steering; no factory wind shield, no factory roof. We did add an aftermarket "bimini" stay roof.

Don't know if its with all UTVs, but ours is water cooled; but it still acts like an air cooled machine; in that, low speed-high rpms, and/or idling, especially climbing hills, pulling, or if there are 4 adults in it; and you aren't running down the road, it does want to over heat.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #4  
I should add; its great for picking up cut wood; being able to dump it straight in the burn pile. The dump bed, you might have to manual assist it, if you load a lot all the way forward.

Our experience though, is, the first year or two, we put like 8000 miles on it, and the last year to 1.5 years, it goes weeks without moving.

We wanted something that was 50% toy, and 50% work. I think the Honda nailed that. It runs "43 mph" but we went 1 size up on tires; and actually road speed is 49 mph. I really like the automatic transmission, but it shares "fluid" with thr engine oil, so need to stay on top of the fluid changes.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #5  
If conditions are dry and tires are decent you'll likely be fine with 2wd. I used to do my yard work with a quad and trailer. The quad was selectable 4wd and even towing a trailer I rarely needed to shift into 4wd unless ground was wet/soft. Off road / woods work yes 4wd needed all the time.

Only thing I'll add is no one ever wished they had a 2wd when they get stuck :)

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #6  
Also; they are noisy, if that affects your thoughts.

Was not happy with the whole dealership stuff. They advertise something at, say $12,000; then bring you a sales agreement for $18k. Dealer prep, dealer installed accessories, ect. Told them to strip the dealer accessories; and did the whole ag equipment sales tax exemption. Still had like $900 in dealer fees.

Honda, you dont have to have insurance if you finance though them; but banks, and some company's do require; so figure another $75-100 over what you planned per month.

We also thought originally we could fit it on a 5ftx10ft trailer. Ours, you needed 5'4" min x 10ft min.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #7  
I learned my lesson on 4wd a long time ago;it doesn't cost that much more and is invaluable when you need it.
We run Yamaha's (2 Vikings,Rhino)+ a Grizzley and a Kodiak.Owned all the major Japanese brands and they are good.I personally don't care for Honda's electric shift(cold weather bothers it) or their 4WD system;but it does have turf mode unlike the Yamahas.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #8  
I have a Honda Pioneer 10000-5. It has 2WD, 4WD, Differential Lock and Turf mode. On my 80 acre farm I run virtually all the time in turf mode (2WD) up and down pretty steep hills, through streams and on the road. Top speed 65 mph.

Andy

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #9  
I have a Deere Progator which is made for golf courses. They come 2wd or 4wd with a 5spd manual with a real differential. There is also a lever you can pull to lock the rear differential for more traction. They have a 4x5.5' hydraulic dump bed with a 2000lb capacity and the newer ones can be set up to have twice that. They also have optional rear hydraulic remotes to run a pump or for use as an open center power beyond for say a towed log splitter. I have the diesel 2wd version that I put R4 tires on and haven't gotten it stuck yet in mud or snow but 95% of my property is only at about a 3-4% grade max and I don't use it much when the snow is deep.

New ones are pricey but you may find a used one in good shape, and competitor models are made by Toro and Cushman. I really like mine.
Pic not of mine but mine looks identical:

Attachments

• IMG_20230416_084126.jpg
    IMG_20230416_084126.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 140
   / Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #10  
Not to change the direction here, but have you thought about a golf cart? I have had Rangers, Gators and Kubotas, I always overlooked golf carts until I bought one to take to horse shows, now it is the main vehicle I use around the ranch. you can add a dump bed, climb hills and tow lighter trailers. they cost less and being electric is actually a plus. My ranch is really hilly and unless it is really muddy I can go just about anywhere on the ranch.