Sickle mower let me down big time

/ Sickle mower let me down big time #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Went to cut very heavy grass Saturday (crested wheat brome, etc.) Set up the IH 1300 just as I did this spring, dressed up the near new knives (only cut 20 ac so far) and it kept floating out of the hay and plugging. I tried pitching the bar down and up, but it just would not cut well. Also varied speed - faster seem better at first, then kept tripping. I am using under-serrated knives as recommended.

I guess I need to break down and get a drum mower and tedder.

Pretty bummed out today over this and the rain, but work did not allow me to cut earlier which I should have.:(

/ Sickle mower let me down big time #2  
Not positive I understand, but if you kept the cutter too high it's not going to cut worth a darn. It needs to be within a few inches of the ground to cut properly.

Edit: Never mind, I misread your explanation. But you will never regret upgrading your cutter. I would hire someone to cut my hay before ever using a sickle bar mower again.

/ Sickle mower let me down big time #3  
Buy something with a reel that can empty the knife area. What's the guard clearance, or is this a cut-hay flow problem ?

/ Sickle mower let me down big time
Guard clearance looks good, as well as knife hold down tension. Primarily it was a flow problem, mainly at the outer 1/3 . Perhaps I need more weight at the bar end. Currently set to the recommended weight of 25 lbs to lift outer shoe, and 75 lbs at the inner shoe. I do have the shoes set for max height to prevent scalping.

Appreciate any thoughts.

/ Sickle mower let me down big time #6  
I would hire someone to cut my hay before ever using a sickle bar mower again.

That sums it up. We still have a sicklebar mower that was bought new many years ago. Even when new it was a plugging POS. Disc mower arrived mowing rate went up significantly.

/ Sickle mower let me down big time #7  
Yep. My sickle is for cutting ditches and steep roadside banks now.

Cheap JD 1209 mowco does a way better job and is way faster, especially in thick hay like you are describing.

/ Sickle mower let me down big time
Yes it was thick grass and damp underneath, even though I let the field dry a week. We have been getting heavy dew in the mornings though.