Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns?

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #61  
I used to own a Scag zt which l hated. Finally sold it after about 3 years of use. I got stuck almost every time l mowed the lawn. It beat me almost to death. I went back to a JD 534 all wheel drive - great machine. I also have a JD LX188 the is still running which l bought in 1995. John Deere makes very good lawn mowers. Only bad thing is the plastic hoods. After a few years the plastic becomes VERY brittle & falls apart. Replacement hood way too expensive.
I do like my SCAG, but I agree!
It does not get stuck, but it certainly does beat me to death!
Because of that, it may not be around too long.

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #62  
Look for an old wheel horse or gravely tractor. Your grand kids will still have it. Stay away from craftsman and other crappy cheap brands

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #63  
Look for an old wheel horse or gravely tractor. Your grand kids will still have it. Stay away from craftsman and other crappy cheap brands
I would generally agree with you, but I still have my dad's 1972 15HP (Briggs) Craftsman, and it is a solid old brute.
49 years old, and still runs just fine!

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #64  
Big box mowers . . .

Bought a brand new Husqvarna 46" riding mower/garden tractor from Lowes in 2011 or early 2012. It has a Kohler "Cowardice" engine, excuse me Kohler "Courage" engine. It currently has 202 hours on it, I don't use it particularly hard, it is maintained according to the schedule, and the area I mow is fairly smooth, no rocks, rebars, cement blocks, etc. This mower should be living the life of Reilly, right?

Well, not exactly.

Understand that I'm 74, and have owned and worked on over 150 cars since I was 16 - all kinds of stuff, ridiculous to the sublime, Porsches, nine Jaguars (I learn, slowly, but I do learn), Mercedes (old and new), Lotus Elan (!), Volvo, Fiat, MG, El Camino, Ford, Chevvy, the list goes on and on, also uncounted motorcycles, a three boats (ugh), a couple of airplanes, a tractor and more AND a 4,500 sf building chock full of tools which I have a pretty good idea of how to use and I've taught in trade schools and publish technical books on airplanes and motorcycles, so I have a pretty good idea of which end of a screwdriver to hammer on, and I take care of stuff - good care.

This Husqvarna perfectly fits the description of "Designed by morons, assembled by chimpanzees, sold by charlatans" and the last part is "to fools", and I evidently have to plead guilty. This mower is the worst, least reliable, crankiest, all-around vilest piece of vehicular garbage it has ever been my displeasure to be afflicted with.

Optional sunshade didn't fit, it sagged down over my eyes in ten minutes, bracing it and making sure the hardware was correct and correctly installed made no difference. It was only $60, Lowes was far away, it wasn't worth fighting over.

Both aluminum blade spindles broke - fixed under warranty by dealer (30 miles away).

Anti-vibration straps on hood fell off. I left them off and took the hood off for better visibility and for better service access, which I have needed a LOT.

The gas tank filler is partially blocked by the cowling. You are WELL advised to let the engine cool completely before attempting to fill the gas tank because it is almost impossible to refuel without splashing fuel on the hot engine. The tank itself is opaque plastic so you never know the fuel level unless you check constantly or it overflows on being filled. Talk about dumb design . . .

Two welds on the mower deck broke, dropping it to the ground. Fixed under warranty by same dealer.

Pulley bolt on the deck worked loose (evidently never tightened), ruined the drive belt. Replaced with decent quality hardware, the OEM bolt was as soft as butter. If there is such a thing as a Grade Zero bolt, this is it. You could practically squeeze it gently and leave fingerprints in the metal.

Both front tires dry rotted. Husqvarna supplied inner tubes under "We're doing you a favor" warranty program. (That was inside of six months from date of purchase.) Got the usual "Gee, we've never seen that before" line of BS from them before they asked for my shipping address,

Steering spindles loose, mower steered about as well as an epileptic spider on roller skates on ice. Shimmed with washers, now it more or less goes where I want it to. It'll never be a sports car, but at least now it will go in a straight line. Almost. Sometimes.

Oil quick-drain loose, it was less than two turns from falling out, which would have poured hot oil on my left foot and blown the engine because ALL the oil would have been on my left foot and none left in the crankcase. Teflon tape, tightened and safety wired, so that should be the end of that issue.

Deck baffles vibrated apart, locked up the mower and bent a blade. Not once, but twice. Fortunately, these are on eBay for $12 or so and I'm getting good at changing them. I am also keeping a spare on the shelf, I *KNOW* I'll need it sooner or later.

Muffler vibrated apart - replaced. 135 hours.

Carb rebuilt twice in 200 hours, still ran like warmed over cr*p. Finally bought a replacement carb (eBay again) for about 1/5 of what the dealer wanted, discovered that the intake manifold gasket under the carb spacer (which is why I didn't catch it on the two rebuilds) was installed folded from the factory and there was a big air leak in the intake tract, which MIGHT explain why the mower always ran lean, stank of gas, started hard, backfired and seemed to lack power. After 200 hours of ownership, now it seems to run at least decently. (Keeping fingers crossed.)

One of the carb rebuilds was prompted by large clouds of white smoke from the exhaust, it seems the float sank and filled the crankcase with gasoline. Drained and refilled everything, the carb kit had two different length needle valves with no instructions or any way to tell which was which. Took a chance, at least it didn't run any worse, so evidently I guessed right.

FOUR batteries so far, it needs a new one every 24 to 30 months, mower is stored inside, never gets cold, and on a charge maintainer. Good old WalMart, $27 a pop, at least they are close.

Deck washout plug broke off/fell apart, evidently from the extreme stress of being exposed to sunlight. Replaced.

Slap it together and get it out the door. Lowes' warranty is (or was, it is long expired) "Bring it here, we'll get back to you within six to eight weeks, it could be more."

I've had old, tired 50's vintage Fiats that ran better and were more dependable than this Husqvarna mower, and that should tell us something.

I'm now mowing with the Kubota, and there is a zero-turn mower in our future, which is why I'm reading this thread. The Husqvarna is going to be used as an aircraft tug, we'll see if it likes that better. Or maybe I'll just blow it up and claim it as a casualty loss.

Friends don't let friends buy Husqvarna garden tractors.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
Wow! I purchased a husqvarna with a 54 inch deck probably about 10 years ago and other than having to fix a small linkage problem with the choke which took about 20 min, one of the spindals went south and needed replaced. It is going to need its 3 rd battery but that’s my fault for not keeping it inside and charged during the winter.
Anyway it’s been an unstoppable beast and has been abused every time it’s been used for it’s 800 hours so I would say it’s been a great buy and when I see people paying as much for a top end mower as a small tractor I wonder if they ever really get thier money’s worth?

By the way screwdrivers are not for hitting with a hammer, there are other tools for that and has me questioning any problem you have endured?

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #65  
By the way screwdrivers are not for hitting with a hammer, there are other tools for that and has me questioning any problem you have endured?

Paul,

I should have done it this way /sarcasm/. ;-)

I'm actually pretty good with tools and don't break them or what I'm working on. I've successfully fixed mechanical watches, pocket watches, quartz watches, 400 day clocks, computers, TVs, radios, HiFi equipment, wired entire buildings, fixed uncounted modern and antique motorcycles and cars, a few airplanes (including a brake job on a real, actual four engine DC-7, no less than 168 brake pucks), computers, hotrods, drag bikes, classic cars, exotic cars, built a working EFI system from parts, firearms, cell phones, well pumps, air conditioners, appliances, lawn mowers, the Kubota, and that cursed Husqvarna. Sometimes I scare myself with all the stuff I've fixed. 99% of the time, what I fix stays fixed and works properly happily ever after.

My "workshop" is 4,500 sf, concrete floor, lights, power, cube fridge and a 10 by 40 bifold door (it is an aircraft hangar, I tell my wife it is the world's second largest shoe closet, and she's happy).

Tools - everything imaginable. And more. Often in duplicate or even triplicate. And I really do know how to use them properly, I used to teach in a vocational school. Dedicated tool chests for each function, one for electronics tools, one for aircraft sheet metal tools, one for air tools, etc. I also discovered I have gas welding equipment, a MIG welder and two arc welders. (My name is Mike and I have REALLY, REALLY GOT to stop acquiring tools!)

The problem with the Husqvarna is that it refuses to STAY fixed. It is like trying to patch a spider web. All the old stuff breaks again and again, and then new stuff also breaks. I guess it was built on a Friday afternoon before a major holiday or on a Tuesday after that major holiday, and the hangovers weren't gone yet. Either that, or it is possessed by evil spirits or demons and I shall get to choose between having it exorcised or driving a stake through its heart. I think it knows I am seriously beginning to hate it and come high noon at the OK Corral, *I* am going to be the winner, not it.

Speaking of abusing tools, one of the other instructors once caught a student using a micrometer as a 10mm open end wrench. The instructor was 6'4" and admitted to 350 pounds (think big, badass biker, beard, tattoos and all). He grabbed the 90 pound student's wrist, splayed the kid's fingers out on the table and with an evil grin told the kid to "pick a finger".

Not having much choice, he did. Evil Instructor said "I caught you using a micrometer for an open end wrench. Pick the finger you want me to cut off. You'll never get to do it again."

The kid fainted . . .

After he came to, he ran to the director of education and complained. The D of E called in the instructor, closed the door and told him it was probably the funniest thing he had ever heard but please don't do it again because we don't want to get sued.

Best,

Mike/Florida

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #66  
You don't want anything cheap so get
a small John Deere they are not CHEAP!
Yanmar made tractors for John Deere
for over 20 years so you should be able
to find one that will fit your needs!

willy

Last edited:
   / Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #67  
Paul,

I should have done it this way /sarcasm/. ;-)

I'm actually pretty good with tools and don't break them or what I'm working on. I've successfully fixed mechanical watches, pocket watches, quartz watches, 400 day clocks, computers, TVs, radios, HiFi equipment, wired entire buildings, fixed uncounted modern and antique motorcycles and cars, a few airplanes (including a brake job on a real, actual four engine DC-7, no less than 168 brake pucks), computers, hotrods, drag bikes, classic cars, exotic cars, built a working EFI system from parts, firearms, cell phones, well pumps, air conditioners, appliances, lawn mowers, the Kubota, and that cursed Husqvarna. Sometimes I scare myself with all the stuff I've fixed. 99% of the time, what I fix stays fixed and works properly happily ever after.

My "workshop" is 4,500 sf, concrete floor, lights, power, cube fridge and a 10 by 40 bifold door (it is an aircraft hangar, I tell my wife it is the world's second largest shoe closet, and she's happy).

Tools - everything imaginable. And more. Often in duplicate or even triplicate. And I really do know how to use them properly, I used to teach in a vocational school. Dedicated tool chests for each function, one for electronics tools, one for aircraft sheet metal tools, one for air tools, etc. I also discovered I have gas welding equipment, a MIG welder and two arc welders. (My name is Mike and I have REALLY, REALLY GOT to stop acquiring tools!)

The problem with the Husqvarna is that it refuses to STAY fixed. It is like trying to patch a spider web. All the old stuff breaks again and again, and then new stuff also breaks. I guess it was built on a Friday afternoon before a major holiday or on a Tuesday after that major holiday, and the hangovers weren't gone yet. Either that, or it is possessed by evil spirits or demons and I shall get to choose between having it exorcised or driving a stake through its heart. I think it knows I am seriously beginning to hate it and come high noon at the OK Corral, *I* am going to be the winner, not it.

Speaking of abusing tools, one of the other instructors once caught a student using a micrometer as a 10mm open end wrench. The instructor was 6'4" and admitted to 350 pounds (think big, badass biker, beard, tattoos and all). He grabbed the 90 pound student's wrist, splayed the kid's fingers out on the table and with an evil grin told the kid to "pick a finger".

Not having much choice, he did. Evil Instructor said "I caught you using a micrometer for an open end wrench. Pick the finger you want me to cut off. You'll never get to do it again."

The kid fainted . . .

After he came to, he ran to the director of education and complained. The D of E called in the instructor, closed the door and told him it was probably the funniest thing he had ever heard but please don't do it again because we don't want to get sued.

Best,

Mike/Florida
Questions have been cleared in my mind, simply you got the lemon!

Please don’t be insulted with me questioning due to a statement like that. If you really do fix most things then you surely understood my viewpoint and have seen the shoddy work from others ranging from the back yard mechanic all the way up to the asshat with the mechanical engineering degree and wondered WTF were they thinking.

By the way I forgot to mention, that silly oil drain design thing they had on those mowers was a disaster. I never dealt with it because day one I took it off before I ever used the mower.

I like the story and would have been rolling on the floor had I been around to see/ hear it!

My garage or shop isn’t near as big but it’s packed and I also seem to never stop buying tools, just seems wrong to pay others to do things when you can buy the tools and do it yourself. Today for instance I will be boring a block and clearencing it for a longer stroke crank.

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #68  
Not enough money to get what you need. I think the good stuff starts at about $3500.

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #69  
Not enough money to get what you need. I think the good stuff starts at about $3500.
Yep!
I paid $4,410 OTD for my 48" SCAG Liberty Z

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #70  
I paid $3500 OTD for my Simplicity ZT2500 5 years ago. 48" fab deck, ZT2800 transmissions, 24hp Commercial Briggs engine, front suspension. You need to pay more for even better above 48" in cut.