Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns?

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #101  
I have a MTD its at least 25 years old been sitting
for 5 years it will still run and cut grass. Wife said
get a new mower as the MTD is too old. So I buy
a big mistake John Deere deck keeps falling apart
and you have to have special rods or something to
weld the deck because the deck is make out of
some real cheap metal and not very strong!!!!
but the deck on the MTD is built like a tank VERY
strong. On the spindles on the decks the only way
you can grease them is to remove the bearings and
lift the seal on the bearing and apply grease as the
zerk will fill up the hollow space between the upper
and lower bearings but with the seal on the bearing
it gets no grease.

willy

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #102  
Back on topic, last year at start of pandemic, I purchased a used 2014 Gravely Proturn 460 with the 33hp 1000cc Kawasaki engine with 1580hrs for $4200. It's a used commercial mower traded in by its owner for another Gravely Zero Turn by a landscape service provider. The Gravely dealer gave full maintenance service before I purchased it. After 38 hours usage, it appears a very strong machine and more than capable for my eight acres of field. Sometimes purchasing a used commercial ZT can be a better move than buying a new residential mower from Home Depot or Lowes.

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #103  
I have read some of these threads but not all. It usually ends up with people telling the OP what they did. My opinion is you are sick of cheap box store mowers and you budget is $1500 to $3000. Your budget sets you up for what you are trying to avoid. You can get used but unless you like working on things there is a chance any thing that is high quality is going to have a lot of hours.

I started out with a cheap box store mower, got a better box store mower, got a Kubota BX($11k), and now a JD 2025r($20k). If all you need is a mower you can get a lot of throw away mowers for what I spent last time. There is nothing wrong with that, otherwise up your budget.

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #104  
I have read some of these threads but not all. It usually ends up with people telling the OP what they did. My opinion is you are sick of cheap box store mowers and you budget is $1500 to $3000. Your budget sets you up for what you are trying to avoid. You can get used but unless you like working on things there is a chance any thing that is high quality is going to have a lot of hours.

I started out with a cheap box store mower, got a better box store mower, got a Kubota BX($11k), and now a JD 2025r($20k). If all you need is a mower you can get a lot of throw away mowers for what I spent last time. There is nothing wrong with that, otherwise up your budget.
I like your thought process here. Essentially I agree. My reasoning in spending approximately $6000 on a used commercial mower is that the cost was the roughly the same as 2-3 box store mowers. At the end of the box store mowers life I have nothing. Now I can still sell my F935 for a descent price.

I just looked the other day. In the last three years I've put on less that 100 hours on my F935 which when I think about it makes it a pretty expensive mower. But when I get on it I can mow my lawn in a reasonable amount of time. That to me is worth something too.

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #105  
Sure is interesting to see these kinds of threads. OP gives no information on how much grass he cuts, frequency of use, or why his other mowers crapped out. Plus no details on how long he will be cutting grass...10 years, twenty, thirty?

My big box Husqvarna is 9 years old, runs like new and I have replaced a safety switch and starter (under $100)...plus a spindle because I hit a 6" rock ($25). I cut/mulch about 2 acres and use it 20 times a year. Flat but bumpy terrain. Change the oil every two years.

Buying a ZT because I hate cutting grass and I can afford to upgrade. Selling the old Husky for $1000 to a friend. Cost new was $1800 at Lowe's.

Total cost $900 for 9 years. Seems cheap to me. Nothing wrong with big box mowers if you take care of them and are not mowing acres of pasture every week.

The ZT will cost over $5000. At 70 YO. it is a stupid investment for cutting grass. But I know it is stupid and do not try to rationalize it....I JUST HATE CUTTING GRASS. I doubt I will clock more than 4-500 hours on the damn thing before I die.

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #106  
I have been watching several ZTR mower threads. In the market to upgrade prior to retirement. Currently have a JD Z425 that is still working fine, but have had for a long time. The whole process of choosing an upgrade or a new purchase is very difficult ! I guess like all equipment, everyone has their preferences, good or bad experiences. I was hoping to choose based on some "real" specifications, but that is challenging to say the least.
I have been looking at Cub Cadet / Kubota / John Deere models at a DEALER. I do NOT trust models from Big Box Stores ! Only someone intimate with contracts with Big Box stores would "know" what / if they have negotiated with a manufacturer on changes / components for a price point advantage.
I would like a 52-54" with a Kawasaki motor - Kawasaki because a small engine mechanic I know recommends this make. I cannot justify > 5K on a mower. So, while buying a "commercial grade" MAY BE a better bet, these are out of my price range.

Good Luck !

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #107  
I like how these threads go on and on long after the OP has posted pics of what they bought.

As far as dedicated mowers go I have read nothing negative about Simplicity mowers. The Conquest model looks like a good machine for a mid range price point. The only drawback for me would be the nearest dealer is two counties away. Not a total deal killer.

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns?
The ferris 400, simplicity courier, snapper pro are all made by Briggs and Stratton and are almost identical in build quality when I checked them out. The snapper pro was the cheapest zt2800 equipped Kawasaki motor'd zero turn I could find. I went with a clearance model 61" Scag freedom z though

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #109  
I have nothing negative to say about my Simplicity dealer or the two Simplicity machines I own.

/ Sick of cheap box store riding mowers. 1500-3k budget used zero turns? #110  
I ended up getting a good deal on a Scag liberty z 61" with Kohler 7000 26hp engine and the zt-3100 hydros
That's a big step up from the three tractors in your original post. Well done!