Shuttle, hydraulic shuttle, glide shift?

/ Shuttle, hydraulic shuttle, glide shift? #1  

jjeff

Elite Member
Tractor
kubota l2850, kubota l4150
Hi Kubota experts, I own the first two types listed both have been pretty bullet proof after over 35 yrs of probably hard lives both bought used and abused rather inexpensive, I personally really enjoy operating the hydraulic shuttle as I can change direction without clutching you cannot change gears without clutching though unless you put the shuttle in neutral. Anyways what's the differences between the the glide shift and the hydraulic clutch on Kubota tractors? Does Kubota still offer both? Never became overly comfortable or proficient with a compact tractor with hst and don't really want to after an unfamiliar experience with a MF sub compact attempting to do loader work lol. Finally what are other manufactures names and models for hydraulic clutches, glide shift transmissions etc. Thanks for your time.

/ Shuttle, hydraulic shuttle, glide shift? #2  
Glide shift is a power shifting transmission.

Not particularily common and questionable durability.

Neighbor has one and has spent lots keeping it functioning as it should.

/ Shuttle, hydraulic shuttle, glide shift?
Glide shift is a power shifting transmission.

Not particularily common and questionable durability.

Neighbor has one and has spent lots keeping it functioning as it should.
I should have called it a hydraulic shuttle on my L 4150. Does John Deere call it a power reverser? Do they still make glide shift transmissions? Or hydraulic shuttles on smaller Kubotas 40+ hp?

/ Shuttle, hydraulic shuttle, glide shift? #4  
I can change range gears on both my Kubota M9's without clutching or putting the shuttle lever in neutral but that is a learned trait after 30+ years of driving big trucks. I float the gears all the time. Just like a big truck but it takes practice to do and I would not suggest doing it if you never did it.

/ Shuttle, hydraulic shuttle, glide shift? #5  
I can change range gears on both my Kubota M9's without clutching or putting the shuttle lever in neutral but that is a learned trait after 30+ years of driving big trucks. I float the gears all the time. Just like a big truck but it takes practice to do and I would not suggest doing it if you never did it.
Gotta start sometime.. Grind them if you cant find them......

/ Shuttle, hydraulic shuttle, glide shift? #6  
Gotta start sometime.. Grind them if you cant find them......
Problem with that is.. Your butt is right above the gearbox so grinding a pound can be very irritating.

Myself, after having numerous Kubota's (I've owned at least 10 not counting the 2 I have now), I won't own anything but a hydraulic shuttle. These are my last 2.

Definitely not like a super 10 lol

Not trying to shift gears without clutching changing direction without clutching is convenient enough for me, just seeing whats out there?

/ Shuttle, hydraulic shuttle, glide shift? #9  
Definitely not like a super 10 lol
Never drove a Super 10, always 13 double overs or 18 speeds. When you haul iron in Michigan you need lots of gears and a big yellow engine too. Never used the clutch except when stopping and starting. Optional pedal. Same applies to my Kubota's not that either of them have a dry clutch because they don't.

In a way I miss those days and in a way, I don't. I do miss riding up there and looking down at all the lasses passing me...lol Got some really good views back then....

One thing I'd never have is a hydrostat. Had them in the past but going to a hydraulic shuttle spoils you.

/ Shuttle, hydraulic shuttle, glide shift? #10  
I have a 42 year old Yanmar YM2310. It has the regular 4 speed plus ultra low Crawl gear transmission feeding a 3 speed Power Shift with reverse. 15 speeds forward and 5 reverse. BbApparently the Power Shift is bullet proof. Though I don't abuse the Power Shift I don't baby it either. For loader work being able to go forward and then reverse without using the clutch is a huge benefit. I REALLY like the Power Shift. If you decide to maybe change brands maybe an old Yanmar could fit your needs.
Eric