Show Us Your Favorite Vises

/ Show Us Your Favorite Vises #35  
My favorite vises are on the other end of the scale. These old Craftsman drill press vises. I use them often.

I’ve had one of those Craftsman dp vises forever! The oilcan and chip tray is what caught my eye.

/ Show Us Your Favorite Vises
I have had this vise for 25 years,, sitting on the shelf,,

other than threading pipe,, is there any worldly use for this thing?? :confused2:

fBbpZ2u.jpg

/ Show Us Your Favorite Vises #37  
I have had this vise for 25 years,, sitting on the shelf,,

other than threading pipe,, is there any worldly use for this thing?? :confused2:

fBbpZ2u.jpg

Mine isn’t a chain vise but I use it frequently for pipe work. Not so much threading but for assembly or taking apart.

Your chain type pipe vise is handy for holding irregular shaped items.
IMG_2464.jpg

Last edited:
   / Show Us Your Favorite Vises
No one has resurrected a 4 year old thread in a couple hours,, so I figured I would put one on life support,,

I never had much in the way of a typical "bench" vise,, but, I have some vises that are "doozies",,

The one in these pics was a real lifesaver on my CNC torch,,
Rather than cut sheet material, I CNC torch cut bar stock, typically lengths cut in half, so about 10 feet to 12 feet long was the raw material.
When I wanted to cut sheet steel, I had the supplier cut the sheet to the width of the part, and I fed that just like bar stock, typically 10 to 12 feet long.

The width was identical, or close to what the dimensions of the part was to be,,
Anything from 2" wide to 15" wide,, I needed a way to hold the material.

This vise did the trick. with a capacity of 0 to 16",, with 10" wide jaws, and the movable jaw is fast acting,, the handle was gone, I made one out of an import wrench.
(That wrench is "over-size", it will slide from nut to nut, but, still turn the nut without slipping)
The bar stock rolled on the rollers, . Repeatability was necessary because most parts used the mill edge as integral to the torch cut part.
This vise held the material the same, part after part, as long as you wanted to keep feeding the bars.

Some days I would cut several tons of parts. Slide a bar off the forks of the forklift, hit the stop , cut the part.
Usually the biggest effort was to catch the cut part.

Actually, I have a second one of these vises,, I did not know if the machine was gonna need two vises, so I bought both of the used vises.
vise.jpg
vise2.jpg
vise3.jpg

/ Show Us Your Favorite Vises #39  
I bought this one 40 to 50 years ago used. Before I has a press, I would put a piece of pipe on the handle and crank away. Hasn’t failed yet.

0A11C6C1-A3DB-4E12-819D-B2ACCD2F9489.jpeg

/ Show Us Your Favorite Vises #40  
I bought this one 40 to 50 years ago used. Before I has a press, I would put a piece of pipe on the handle and crank away. Hasn’t failed yet.

View attachment 782856
I have one just like it. I've had it so long...over 50 years... I don't even remember where I got it.