• Yes, community members should vote to decide the rules

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • No vote, let the site owners make the rules

Votes: 106 86.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Should the community make the rules? #131  
Some of the "problems" have been self-inflicted.

Members that have been "banned" get reinstated rather quickly. Like catch and release.

Constant bad actors have not been given time outs when they needed them, and some should have been banned but were treated with "moderation".

I have never reported a post on this forum. Might be interesting to know who is doing all the complaining that most of us feel is unwarranted.

We know J-walking is illegal. If LEO's spent their time enforcing it is that a good use of their time? The message is...sweating over the "small stuff " has caused members to leave.

Want to start???? Send Old Path a request to come back and let him know a line of scripture in his profile is not offensive. If that is too much of a compromise, God bless you!

"One nation under God"...we shouldn't need a 2x4 across the head to figure it out.

/ Should the community make the rules? #132  
Do you think we should allow the TBN members make the rules by way of proposing and voting on rules?

Over the years we've tried our best to make rules in the best interest of the community. Doing anything else would be counter-productive. But, maybe it's time for a new way of deciding the community rules.
I think its the interpretation of the rules that might in question by some of us.

I think the requirement for a moderator should be 1) owns a tractor 2) US citizen 3) Owns at least 5 acres land 4) At least 40 y.o. Not assuming you don't fit all of these categories I just think that should be a minimum.

I imagine most tractor owners as having conservative or traditional values and I think any moderation of posts should take that into consideration.

Personally, I hate people who report others, unless it someone's action could be considered a crime (threats of harm, harassment) as I consider that whining.

/ Should the community make the rules? #133  
My house my rules. Remember that?

That is fine, but if the rules are overbearing, people flee.

For me, status quo at this point. Just be reasonable.

/ Should the community make the rules? #134  
I think the requirement for a moderator should be 1) owns a tractor 2) US citizen 3) Owns at least 5 acres land 4) At least 40 y.o. Not assuming you don't fit all of these categories I just think that should be a minimum.

Hmmm.... I would meet all that, other than the citizenship part, I'm not sure how that's a factor. And, as a moderator of an international pilot forum, I do so as a 45 year pilot, 35 year airplane owner, and aerodrome owner. But...

The pilot forum also has non pilot moderators, people with maintenance, medical, computer or other relevant experience. That really helps! The non pilots will defer to we pilots for core pilot moderation stuff. A helicopter pilot moderator may defer to a fixed wing pilot if that's the discussion point. I know that one of our mods is a non pilot, very strong in computer skills. I will eagerly defer to other mods with respect to specialties I'm not strong in.

Here, you could have a moderator who has never plowed a furrow, but knows hydraulic systems very well, and so on... A moderator's value is a sum of their personal skills and disposition rather than a checklist. As for citizenship... well, to assure 24 hour attendance, we have moderators, in the UK, US, me in Canada, and Australia.

Personally, I hate people who report others,

Certainly a choice. Though understand that moderators don't read everything. And sometimes the most benign topic can generate a tempest in a teacup which needs attention. Sometimes a report is the only way mods know about it at an early stage, so they can do something before it becomes a thread drift street brawl.

/ Should the community make the rules? #135  
So much input and opinion on rules, enforcement, breaking them, reporting others, etc. I hope we all have voted to get a vote else its all just whining……

/ Should the community make the rules? #137  
As someone that has moderated a busy forum, on a busy forum, asking moderators that are likely not paid, to take the time to write an explanation for each post that must be removed or otherwise moderated is an unreasonable request. It would lead to very little moderation being done at all. And if they are going to break the rules you already know that giving them an explanation will lead to more than one message and quite possibly an argument on why they are right. I'm sure the moderators here have better things to do with their time.
Then don't volunteer to be a moderator if you don't have time to do the job the right way.

Again, the rules aren't black and white. So determining what is too far over the line that warrants repercussions sometimes needs explained

/ Should the community make the rules? #139  
Surprised that so many people in the good old USA approve of censorship.

/ Should the community make the rules? #140  
But if you limit moderators to 'just like me' nobody will learn anything outside of their own, limited, expertise.

You just excluded the founder/site owner!!!!

Variety is one element that makes TBN interesting. A simple example is an injector pump shop owner, who appears in the Yanmar forum when his expertise is needed. I would never have any other exposure to that body of knowledge or an opportunity to ask questions. There are countless other examples on here - of things we never thought about before. This is where everyone's horizons are broadened.

Hydraulics, welding, trucking, land survey, lots of things appear here that don't need any of those qualifications to make a valuable contribution. (I meet all four of your qualificatiions, I'm not complaining for myself).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.