Shop Walls

/ Shop Walls #1  

Dougryan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3206
Hi,
I'm building a shop area and would like the bottom 2 feet of the walls to have durable wall covering. Drywall and peg board will go on the upper parts of the walls.
But I would like something durable on the bottom 2 feet to resist damage from rolling carts, tires, etc that may hit the walls.

I was thinking about plywood, MDF, 2x6's installed like shiplap, but without the lap.
Not a fan of OSB since there may be dampness on the concrete floor. MDF may have the same issue with dampness.

Any ideas for an inexpensive durable option?

Thanks,
Doug

/ Shop Walls #2  
OSB will be better than plywood for dampness resistance. You can always leave and air gap between the floor and wall.

2x will be very strong for the purpose but expensive.

/ Shop Walls #3  
5/4 pressure treated decking boards will be durable and suitable for a damp location, you'd still need some form of wall covering behind them even if it's just a heavy poly vapor barrier.

/ Shop Walls #4  
I’m in a similar situation and had the same thought. I really like the idea of diamond plate but it’s very pricey. I just stumbled across this vinyl imitation stuff. Might look good over a sturdy backer. https://m.lowes.com/pd/36-in-W-Cut...d-Vinyl-Utility-Runner-By-the-Foot/1000043771

I’ve also thought about using corrugated roofing material as a base runner. Have been unable to make a decision so far.

2x6 is not a bad idea, but I think you still risk warping with water contact.

Otherwise I’m following for ideas.

/ Shop Walls #5  
The neighbor's shop has the metal siding type on the walls and ceiling. He chose white so it really is nice and bright in there to work on equipment. Another plus is fire prevention as accidents in shops.

/ Shop Walls #6  
OSB looks horrible and like you bought the cheapest of the cheap. Painted plywood is better. Tin is good but looks like heck after getting hit a while. You lean something against it and the thin modern stuff is already dented. They make plastic and fiberglass panels for barns, some very comprehensive systems, but I worry a bit about fire rating. I've burned fiberglass and you might think a plane went down!

/ Shop Walls #7  
Yea. I like the idea of some sort of metal for the base as a fire prevention measure. In my shop, I’m probably going 12” or so for most most areas, but higher for my metalworking area. Maybe even up to 36”.

/ Shop Walls #8  
Metal would be nice. I have T-11 exterior paneling on the bottom and OSB on the top 8 feet. OSB doesn't look bad and it's mostly covered with shelves, pegboard and hangers.

/ Shop Walls #9  
I like the way Morton does their walls. They use a rabbited gurt for the first and second from the floor and a 1/2 thick by 24" piece of plywood nailed in the rabbits. The tin wall is then screwed on and the plywood acts as a stiffener protecting the tin from damage for the first 24 inches.

They also use J strips and channel and a bug shield on the floor which keeps it draft/bug free, fire protected and protected from moisture.

/ Shop Walls #10  
OSB on the bottom 8 feet and drywall for the upper 4 feet. I just raised the OSB about 3/8" off the floor, I think it looks ok for a shop.

P6130098.JPG