Shield gas mixer

/ Shield gas mixer #1  

TMGT

Elite Member
Tractor
B2620
I have a need for at least 3 different gas mixes for my mig and don't feel like having 3+ different dedicated bottles laying around when some aren't used very often.

My common mixes are 75/25, 85/15-95/5 and straight argon for the spool gun.

I was planning on just using one of my 330 for straight argon and a 120 for CO2 and getting a Smith mixer to simplify things.

Smith says accuracy within 2%, anyone have any experience with the mixers and how well they work?

/ Shield gas mixer #2  
I ran TIG a lot when I worked as a Pipe welder back in the last millennia and I am getting a TIG rig for free and will be buying a bottle for pure argon. What would happen with MIG if using 100 % argon rather than 75/25 mix. I have never tried it before so I dont know if it would work or not. I am like you, dont want to have to buy two bottles but would like to use MIG and TIG if 100% Argon would work, otherwise I would have to just use FCAW and my TIG. I dont need to weld much so a bottle would last a long time so demurge on a rented bottle would eat up the cost quickly.

/ Shield gas mixer #4  
Wait for yomax4 to see this. He will have good answers for you.

/ Shield gas mixer
What! You don't have one BB? I find that hard to believe.

I figured yomax or Mark@everlast would chime in sooner or later.

/ Shield gas mixer #6  
I have enjoyed using a mixer ( Smith & or Victor ) for about 13 years. It really does simplify things like obtaining 98/2 Argon CO2 for small stainless projects. CO2 is pretty inexpensive and straight Argon is less than a mix. Many of the new machines run great on straight CO2 so that is just a spin of the dial away from gas savings. The only downside I can think of would be the need to add a spot for the mixer on your cart or table or have long hoses to drag around. The inspiration was the same for me. Too many bottles lined up along the wall. Every gas is just a dial turn away including crazy gas savings using CO2 on non critical fab jobs. They can be cost prohibitive but if you're planning on welding or putzing around like I do they do pay for themselves over time. Watch for a nice used or recalibrated one and act fast. They sell quickly.

/ Shield gas mixer
Thanks yomax, good to hear. I have to build a cart for my wire feed setup anyways (xmt304 with 24a feeder) so I'll be able to incorporate a spot for the mixer.

/ Shield gas mixer #8  
Thanks yomax, good to hear. I have to build a cart for my wire feed setup anyways (xmt304 with 24a feeder) so I'll be able to incorporate a spot for the mixer.

Like this ?

IMG_2333.jpg

/ Shield gas mixer
Showoff!

Mine probably won't be that fancy, I am making an all aluminum cart for my tig though.

/ Shield gas mixer #10  
:D.