Shibaura SD1840 fluid levels??

/ Shibaura SD1840 fluid levels?? #1  

hondasilverwing

Tractor
Shibaura SD1840
I downloaded a Ford tractor service manual as it appears the closest I can get for service information. It looks like the Ford 1300 is the most similar tractor (excluding engine displacement) and it does give all the fluid specs. It says the hyd system, transmission and rear differential and axles have a common reservoir and hold a total of 21 quarts. It also shows a dipstick attached to the fill plug. My tractor does not have the dipstick. There is a plug on the right side of the transmission about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. I removed the plug and raised the lift arms fully up and found the level was far above this plug. I suspected the tractor may have been over serviced but, I'm not sure. Next I drained the fluid until it appeared to be about 1/2 way covering the plug hole. I removed about 1 gallon. Now I'm concerned that I may now have to little fluid.

My 1st question is '' is there any other way to determine the correct hyd. fluid level without removing all the drain plugs and refilling''?

Here the reason I did all this. Hyd fluid was leaking from the arm controlling the left side brake. From the looks of things one might believe that the tractor had wet brakes because there is a drain plug just below the brake arm under the brake drum housing and another drain plug on the outer end of the axle housing. On the left side I removed about 15 ounces on the outer plug and about 8 ounces on the inner plug below the brake drum housing. Then I went to the right side to do the same. I removed about 15 ounces from the outer drain BUT, the inner drain was bone dry. Since the left side was wet and leaking at the control arm and right side was bone dry I knew I had found trouble. The Ford manual does say that all their small tractors have dry brakes. My axle/brake housing doesn't look exactly like any of the Ford models (but close) I'm now thinking my brakes should be DRY......meaning the left side should have not been leaking because it should not have had any fluid in it to start with. Now after draining all fluid out of the left side and blowing it out,,,,suddenly I no longer have brakes on that side. I spent the next hour flushing the brake shoes and drum through the drain hole and got that brake working good again. I don't know how long this brake drum cavity had fluid in it but, I do know the brake worked good until I drained it and blew air in the hole and got it on the drum. I suspect the rear differential seal leading into the brake drum may be bad and allowing oil to slowly fill the brake area....and now, I thought seriously about making sure the transmission/rear diff were not over serviced adding to the problem. Hopefully it is just a small leak that I could keep at bay with a periodic draining and cleaning to keep the brake working But, now if I got a leak I surely need to know the proper fluid level to keep in the trans reservoir. If anyone has any ideas or advice I would greatly appreciate it as it seems impossible to find a service manual written in English for these tractors..