Shear pin nightmare

/ Shear pin nightmare #11  
Only thing different is the paint, those John Deere colors are the problem !
grade two bolts will work as shear pins. I agree with the ice problem, keep it spinning until you get back to the heat.

/ Shear pin nightmare #12  
FWIW, I didn’t have a problem with the fan freezing up on me until probably 7 or 8 years after I had it.

It’s possible that, over time, either because of the original paint wearing off, or maybe a slight change in tolerances, the freezing up of the fan just starts happening. Who kniws….things change over time.

/ Shear pin nightmare #13  
Thanks guys for your input but keep in mind, my brother run it three years on the back of his Ford tractor and Not once did he ever snap a shear pin. All I did to it after I bought it was clean it up and paint it.
With the Ford, you can ramp it slowly up to speed. Does your Deere have an electric PTO clutch? Do you drop the RPMs down before engaging the PTO? Does the blower rotate easily by hand (tractor off) ?

/ Shear pin nightmare
With the Ford, you can ramp it slowly up to speed. Does your Deere have an electric PTO clutch? Do you drop the RPMs down before engaging the PTO? Does the blower rotate easily by hand (tractor off) ?
I Always lower rpm to about 1500 and lower blower to the group. Once it starts working , I bring it up to 2500 rpm. Right now, thawed out, every in neutral spins very nice. No rubbing anywhere. And yes , electric pto. Thanks for your input

/ Shear pin nightmare
FWIW, I didn’t have a problem with the fan freezing up on me until probably 7 or 8 years after I had it.

It’s possible that, over time, either because of the original paint wearing off, or maybe a slight change in tolerances, the freezing up of the fan just starts happening. Who kniws….things change over time.
Ha ! Age goes hand in hand with unexpected surprises and they're usually not very nice!

/ Shear pin nightmare
Only thing different is the paint, those John Deere colors are the problem !
grade two bolts will work as shear pins. I agree with the ice problem, keep it spinning until you get back to the heat.
Guess I created more work for myself. Tried to make it look respectable and this is what I get ! Lol. Started with Mardens soft bolts no grade, probably made in China and worked my way up to grade 3 .
Guess I will have to let her spin !
Before & After pix

Attachments

• 20220720_134447.jpg
    20220720_134447.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • 20211119_092540.jpg
    20211119_092540.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
  • 20220720_135243.jpg
    20220720_135243.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 20220730_094150.jpg
    20220730_094150.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
   / Shear pin nightmare
My thought is something is freezing once you stop long enough for it to freeze. If your stop is short enough it does not have a chance to refreeze. When you park it inside again it has a chance to thaw out again.
Does the type of snow or temperature make any difference to breaking shear pins?
I agree but why this freezing issue now but was fine past 3 years. He didn't do anything differently.

/ Shear pin nightmare #18  
When the title mentioned a shear pin nightmare. I thought it would be on a snowblower. Those machines must eat pins for breakfast. Good luck with it.

/ Shear pin nightmare #19  
When you shut it down to use the bucket - water/slush refreezes - - somewhere. Don't shut it down. Does not hurt a thing to keep it running.

I use to have a 3-point blower. Any time I had to blow anything less than dry, fluffy snow - I could have the same experience. Just about anything would blow a shear pin on mine. Ice chunk, frozen slush, limb, stick, frozen pocket gopher - you get the idea.

Going to a higher grade shear pin IS NOT the answer.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Shear pin nightmare
I can understand your breathing challenges and commend you for continuing to try and get chores done. My wife of 54 years had lung issues and died this past Aug.

Could you please post a photo of the head of the bolts you are using as shear bolts.
A closeup photo of the shear bolt hole. Has it become oval with the frequent shear bolt breaking.
A photo of the blower in the fully raised position so we can judge the angle the U joints are having to deal with. I am assuming when you restart the blower it is in the fully raised position.

In the short term keep the blower running during the times you are using the bucket.

Looking forward to your reply.

Dave M7040
Hi, using grade 3 bolts, no oval to bolt holes, gotta tap em in gently with a hammer. I never turn on in raised position and always drop rpm to almost idle

54 years together must have been devastating! I would like to offer my condolences.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge..