Shaver HD8 return line

/ Shaver HD8 return line #1  

zsemaskvich

Tractor
RK 55
I have a RK55 and recently bought the shaver post driver. As many people have posted it needs to return with no restriction, usually using the fill port. My question is the thread. I have asked both RK and shaver with nobody really sure what the thread is on the fill port. A 3/4" galvanized pipe fits in the port while a 1" pipe does not. Even went to a hydraulic dealer with no luck. Does anyone know what fitting would adapt to pipe thread?

/ Shaver HD8 return line #2  
I've been chasing that rabbit for a year on my Mahindar 2638 and right now a machine shop is making an adapter to thread into the tractor to accept a 3/4" NPT pipe.
In the meantime; the plastic cap that comes on the male ends of hydraulic hoses is JUST thick enough that if you slip it on a 3/4 pipe and push/thread it into the tractor (cut the center of the cap out) it will grab just enough to stay in for a while and not leak. It will wear out and you'll likely lose a gallon of oil when it blows out but it gets the job done.

Before you think I'm crazy I've made about $2500 with this setup so far.

/ Shaver HD8 return line
Great idea. Kind of a bushing. I was considering buying an extra fill plug and drilling it out for 3/4 pipe and gooping it up with silicone/epoxy/jb weld or something to hold it. your idea is a lot easier. Hydraulic oil is cheap. Thanks

/ Shaver HD8 return line #4  
If you have a metal cap on your hydraulic fill I'd do that. The plastic one on my 2638 isn't thick and heavy enough plastic to be able to do that and it hold up long at all.
Of course the hydraulic hose cap doesn't hold up long either but it will get the job done and make some money.

/ Shaver HD8 return line
plastic cap unfortunately, might as well use the cheap thread protector

/ Shaver HD8 return line #6  
I've been chasing that rabbit for a year on my Mahindar 2638 and right now a machine shop is making an adapter to thread into the tractor to accept a 3/4" NPT pipe.
In the meantime; the plastic cap that comes on the male ends of hydraulic hoses is JUST thick enough that if you slip it on a 3/4 pipe and push/thread it into the tractor (cut the center of the cap out) it will grab just enough to stay in for a while and not leak. It will wear out and you'll likely lose a gallon of oil when it blows out but it gets the job done.

Before you think I'm crazy I've made about $2500 with this setup so far.
Ok, this is kind of funny, I was about to respond to your video on YouTube and ask if you had any luck on the adapter! I have a 2638 as well and my HD-8 should be here next week. I have been plowing thru the internet looking for a solution to this problem and found your video and went "well, that will work" (obviously), but wanted to share something with you that may help.

I have a cab version of the 2638 and ordered a set of rear spools when I bought my tractor and was NOT a fan from the moment I saw how they actually attached. I have a post auger as well and when I mount it and lift the auger all the way up if it sways side to side the top link on the auger will come in contact with the left coupler. Aware of this I tried to always be careful but as luck would have it one day it made just the right amount of contact and bent the connector just enough to crack the adapter.

Took me several days to track it down (the block was not NPT despite the coupler itself being NPT). I ended up going to a hydraulic shop to find out that its BSP and not the diameter I expected.

Seeing your video and comment, it got me thinking, could that cap ALSO be BSP?

BTW, if you do happen to crack yours, here is the replacement: 3/8" BSP to 1/2" NPT Adapter

I have a backhoe for mine, so I got to thinking, what ports does the hydraulic valve have on the post driver? And is it possible to plumb the valve up to use those ports as opposed to the rear remotes?

I may call Shaver this week and ask.

/ Shaver HD8 return line #7  
I called Shaver several years ago and they did not have an adapter to fit the 2638. I'm still chasing a rabbit to figure out the solution I want on hooking it up and I keep rigging it with a plastic cap till it fails.

/ Shaver HD8 return line #8  

Attachments

• thread_guide.pdf
    303.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
   / Shaver HD8 return line #9  
Maybe some relief here.... IF 3/4 NPT fitting screws in and seal It be pretty sure that is what it is (depending on country of manufacture)...Also check out page 13 -15 of manual... Maybe some relief there....

That's part of the issue, 3/4" is way to small and 1" is to big. I have an HSC Branch about 5 minutes from where I work, I took the cap over there yesterday and spent about 30 minutes with the counter guy, these caps use a metric thread that is a one-off as well as a diameter that is not standard in anything. We kicked a couple of ideas around and since they have an inhouse machine shop, they are going to machine a threaded sleeve and tig it onto a 3/4" NPT Coupler, then we are going to grab the rest off the shelf parts to T it and put a high flow coupler and cap on it.

I am still hunting for an answer on the hydraulics on my backhoe, I feel like that would be the best option for me if they are actually plumbed the way it looks.

I figured for the cost of the machine work its a good backup plan.

/ Shaver HD8 return line #10  
Normally, I don't comment on this stuff but... Both my new Kubota BV round bailer and my Shaver PHD require a 'return to tank / sump' fitting so I Teed into the return line from the FEL where it goes into the transmission case (on my M's that is on the backside above the PTO) with a Pioneer female QD coupler and put Pioneer males on both the bailer and the PHD. Both dump into the gearcase. Easy peasy. Just used a large flow Pioneer.