Sharpening drill bits

/ Sharpening drill bits #21  
My father was a machinist, and could sharpen drills on a grinder in his sleep. I didn't inherit his talent. ☹️
Picked up a drill doctor secondhand, it does the job, but it definitely takes practice to get the knack. Guy I bought it from called it Dr. Kevorkian.
I will put my collection of dull drill bits up against anyones - both in terms of the number of bits and how dull they are. I guess I have a problem tossing them.
You're not alone, I've got a pretty good collection myself. :ROFLMAO:

/ Sharpening drill bits #22  
I'm sure I'm in the minority regarding satisfaction with my Drill Doctor. Being a drill bit hoarder, I had collect some 400 dull bits. I also purchased the best DD out there and enjoyed absolutely zero satisfaction in the results. Most of those 400 bits are still dull and unusable.

At best, I ended up with perhaps 1 in 10 bits that were properly sharpened. No doubt at all that my lack of skill in operating the DD was cause, but what can I say... The DD ads did not produce the magical results that I expected.

/ Sharpening drill bits #23  
I'm sure I'm in the minority regarding satisfaction with my Drill Doctor. Being a drill bit hoarder, I had collect some 400 dull bits. I also purchased the best DD out there and enjoyed absolutely zero satisfaction in the results. Most of those 400 bits are still dull and unusable.

At best, I ended up with perhaps 1 in 10 bits that were properly sharpened. No doubt at all that my lack of skill in operating the DD was cause, but what can I say... The DD ads did not produce the magical results that I expected.
TBH you may be doing something wrong in the set up and operation. Maybe you could share some pictures of the results you are getting and we could help.

/ Sharpening drill bits #24  
I inherited an old black and decker drill bit sharpener from my dad. I have yet to try it. But I have been collecting quite a few dull bits so I better get to it. This thing is from a time when black and decker wasn't Chinese crap, it hardly has a piece of plastic on it.

KIMG1956.JPG

/ Sharpening drill bits #25  
When I first got the DD, I couldn't get a sharp bit out of it to save my life, found it frustrating to use. I found some YouTube videos that had some tips and tricks to using the DD and I found them helpful. Now I get pretty good results. Unfortunately I didn't save them to pass on. It takes a bit to set it up correctly and for sharpening one or two bits, I just use the grinder and get it close enough.

/ Sharpening drill bits #26  

if we were just a little closer I would volunteer to show you what I could, not saying my bits turn out like new but they do work when I'm done. Got to be something in the setup

/ Sharpening drill bits #27  
I still sharpen all of my bits by eye and by hand. If a bit needs sharpening I want it done now and not have to pull out a machine and set it all up. I taught myself how to do it by resharpening drill bits untill they worked.

Now every once in a while one of the neighbours will bring a thoroughly trashed bit over for me to sharpen. Often I go to the chop saw first and remove the worst parts of the bit by cutting it off. Then I slowly start to grind it to the point where it will once again drill a hole. Regularly cooling in water while grinding is your friend.

/ Sharpening drill bits #28  
Get a good stone for your grinder and practice sharpening by hand. Grab a drill gauge to use for accurate 60 degree angles until you get it down. Sounds like you have lots of bits to practice on.

By learning to do it by hand you can sharpen a bit anywhere there is a grinder.
To a point and that point is, when they become too small, offhand grinding becomes impossible. I offhand sharpen and relieve the heels on all my twist drills, but below 1/8", the got tossed and replaced simply because it becomes too difficult to sharpen them.

/ Sharpening drill bits #29  
To a point and that point is, when they become too small, offhand grinding becomes impossible. I offhand sharpen and relieve the heels on all my twist drills, but below 1/8", the got tossed and replaced simply because it becomes too difficult to sharpen them.
Agreed. I just keep a stock of the small ones I go through. I have a container full of .201 bits for 1/4" threads.
As to trying to recover "destroyed" bits you are correct as well. Never try to burn/melt your way through the work. If it is not cutting, stop and sharper it at that moment before deformation of the tip occurs.

/ Sharpening drill bits #30  
I too get dull bits from folks around here for resharpening. Offhand sharpening is an acquired skill that takes time and patience to learn.