Sharpening drill bits

/ Sharpening drill bits #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
I will put my collection of dull drill bits up against anyones - both in terms of the number of bits and how dull they are. I guess I have a problem tossing them. Anyway, yesterday after trying a number of bits to get a job done and finding none of them sharp enough, I thought about either tossing them or considering a bit sharpener. I have no experience with any kind of bit sharpener, so before I toss them, my question: Do they work at all? What kinds are there? Recommendations? Is it worth it to even try?

Thanks to all who can help.,

/ Sharpening drill bits #2  
Do a search on this site. There are alot of posts about bit sharpeners.

/ Sharpening drill bits
Do a search on this site. There are alot of posts about bit sharpeners.
Thanks, grs. Great idea. No need to have a re-do here. I will do that. Usually I will do a search but I don't always have luck finding the threads. Much appreciated.

/ Sharpening drill bits #4  
I got a Drill Doctor. I got their top of the line model for the added versatility. It takes awhile to go through your drill bit collection but it seems to do a good job. I went through all my bits because, like you, I could never seem to find a sharp one when needed. If you want to trash your old bits instead throw them my way. I'll even pay reasonable postage.

/ Sharpening drill bits #5  
Get a good stone for your grinder and practice sharpening by hand. Grab a drill gauge to use for accurate 60 degree angles until you get it down. Sounds like you have lots of bits to practice on.

By learning to do it by hand you can sharpen a bit anywhere there is a grinder.

/ Sharpening drill bits #6  
Another vote for the Drill Doctor electric bit sharpener. Not everyone is capable of seeing the correct angle and slope for the tip and then duplicating that on the other side to a perfect centerline...I know I can't. That's why I got the top of the line drill doctor. It's not cheap but you can earn the expense back in recouped drill bits. Plus have the added convenience of putting a quick edge on any small bit ( not sure what the max size is - now I see it's 3/4). This covers most of the holes we drill.

This is my second one - I got the cheapest one 15 yrs ago and wore it out. Just recently got this new one.

Last edited:
   / Sharpening drill bits #8  
Meant to include this p/n
20221117_125959.jpg

Not sure if it's their best, but it was the most expensive one listed at the web site that I was on.

/ Sharpening drill bits #9  
I sharp them by hand on a bench grinder, there is a technique to it, and it take practice... I get the angle from two nuts flat against each other as such, a proper tool would be better for the angle... I don't use the technique in the second video, but I have seen people successfully use it ... I use the technique in the third video... it works for me...

1668707263577.png

Last edited:
   / Sharpening drill bits #10  
Part of the community college CNC machining program I took as a later in life “wanna do” was sharpening twist drill. Also had to make a gauge to measure both 118 degree grind angle and length of each lip/chisled face. Not rocket science but did take some time infront of a grinder (with a bucket of water to keep things cool) to get the knack of it One of those things that’s best learned if someone with the skill can demonstrate. At some point webbs need to be thinned on the larger ones in order to make them work efficiently.

Still do it that way for large drills, but use a drill doctor (DD) on the smaller stuff; they become increasingly harder to see/hold/rotate as things shrink in size.

The DD works very well, at least to a point. Anything below 3/16 or so becomes an increasing challenge as each bit has to be correctly indexed before grinding ; the smaller the drill the more difficult accurate indexing becomes due to the short size/diameter/length of the smaller stuff.

I don’t bother sharpening anything 1/8 or below, rather buy them in packs of 10. Mostly use the DD for drills up to ¼ or so. It is handy for quick touch ups—--sharp twist drills make life better…..

BTW, this is all based on sharpening high speed steel 118 degree stuff. No experience on split points, colbalt, masonary, or angles other than 118. Good luck.