Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,561  
The forklift hasn't let the full weight on the truck yet!

20230107_120642.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,563  
I think there are 90x cmus in a full pallet. ~3500 lbs.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,564  
He neglects the camper overhang on the rear . Some people will slide 4 ft extension in the receiver to pull a boat ? Kevin .
You must not have watched the full video. He mentions that multiple times.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,565  
If that's cmu it's almost 40lbs per block x 100+ can't remember how many are on a pallet though.
I can't see a pallet on the truck, looks to me there is one beside the truck though. Full disclosure, my vision isn't very good though.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,566  
I can't see a pallet on the truck, looks to me there is one beside the truck though. Full disclosure, my vision isn't very good though.
That's what I thought too. You can see the inside of the left side of the bed.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,568  
My bad, not a good picture. I was driving across the lot past the lumber entrance and had to take this for laughs. A full pallet and the forklift was struggling a bit. There were three other trucks waiting to load and all were looking, watching.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,569  
You must not have watched the full video. He mentions that multiple times.
I watched the video and all I heard were GVW GCWR BUT Nothing about overhang . The next time I need your input I will call the Doright club

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,570  
He neglects the camper overhang on the rear . Some people will slide 4 ft extension in the receiver to pull a boat ? Kevin .
...in some photos there even is a motorcycle on the back of it....

When i was still in truck body building 14 years ago, manufacturers had exact body builders guidelines, especially for lighter trucks, with exact specifications of the position of center of gravity of the superstructure.
We once had a situation with a Sprinter long wheelbase for a dealer of ours, who sold a tool cabinet behind the cab. When we heard that the dealer promised it to hold 1000kg of power tools (without consulting with us first), we delivered it with the tool box on the 5th wheel trailer and let our dealer decide if he wanted to place it behind the cab at his own liability, because it would grossly overload the front axle as well as the frame.

Off course the supplier of the slide-in camper doesnt assemble the truck and camper so they bear no responsibility for the combination, and light commercial vehicle dealers hardly know extensive body builders guidelines even exist.

If i were the mans lawyer i would check if Ram bodybuilders guidelines apply to the chassis-cab only, or generic. If theres no guideline from Ram that tells this isnt possible, you might have a case. If not, youre on your own with the 17.000 dollar bill and an unsuitable camper for your vehicle....

Another issue with a slide in camper is the high center of gravity: When you hit the gas, truck accelerates under the camper, causing an extra rearward tilting force on the frame. At the same time, the truck grips on the asphalt trying to turn the wheels forward, thereby putting a reaction force on the frame, further increasing the bend back over. A pickup is not a truck, its a light commercial vehicle, built to a weight, and designed to take payload with its CoG only slightly in front of the rear axle so the front axle doesnt carry much other than occupants and drivetrain.

Last edited: