Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,421  
Just need a few telephone poles and lag bolts and that bridge'll be as good as new!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,422  
Wish I could have gotten a video but.....

Yesterday I was driving up the highway and came upon a heavy duty 3/4 ton pickup. He was following a light duty van. Both vehicles had there flashers on and it looked like the van was uncomfortable towing this trailer and the Heavy Duty truck was following him to act like a pilot vehicle.

I could not help but wonder why that trailer was not connected to the hitch hanging off the back of the truck?

Am I missing something?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,423  
Yeah someone on our local FB page already mocked it up also LOL

View attachment 733585
Kidding aside, and my bad drawing, but the gist is we've all been on roads where there's a ramp up, over, ramp down. I'm no engineer but it doesn't seem all that expensive to do and easy way to get 3-4ft more clearance.
It wouldn't cost that much 1/2 mile either side "ramp ahead 45 mph". Something like that.

2022_02_15_20.42.09.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,424  
What in the w

What in the world prevented the DOT from lowering the roadway underneath to prevent this?
What in the world prevented the guy who loaded the machine from tucking the bucket in and lowering the boom like he should have

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,425  
What in the world prevented the guy who loaded the machine from tucking the bucket in and lowering the boom like he should have
Yeah that too. But this crossing has been clearly labelled as deficient, unusually low, for a long time.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,426  
Well we got a fresh one near Ann Arbor on Friday evening.
View attachment 733577

And now what we get

Estimate is 8 MILLION dollars to replace the bridge. It's not a vital link around town, but the detour is several annoying miles either way if you need to cross the highway here. It was a "low" bridge at 13 feet 10 inches, with multiple warning signs preceding it.

13' 10" or 4 meter is the maximum allowed vehicle height in Europe too, yet an overpass i pass on my way to work, is frequently hit, despite it being 4 meter high. Most truckers reckon they'll be allright with 4.15m because 99.5% of overpasses are built with 4.25m clearance.

This overpass gets hit nearly every year, luckily not by overweight transports which could ram it off its socks, but by utilities with lighter equipment that gets knocked off the trailer.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,427  
Kidding aside, and my bad drawing, but the gist is we've all been on roads where there's a ramp up, over, ramp down. I'm no engineer but it doesn't seem all that expensive to do and easy way to get 3-4ft more clearance.
It wouldn't cost that much 1/2 mile either side "ramp ahead 45 mph". Something like that.

View attachment 733722
Haha yeah I mean the picture doesn't show it, but the overpassing road does already have long gentle ramps/berms up to that existing bridge level. The surrounding land is basically at the same grade as the highway itself.

This bridge is from the late 60s or early 70s - I guess design standards were a bit more marginal back then. The other question I have is whether regular road re-paving over the years has reduced the clearance.... 2-3" at a time.
I'm sure MDOT wants to replace it with a 15-16' clearance bridge someday.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,428  
This bridge is from the late 60s or early 70s - I guess design standards were a bit more marginal back then.
I think the legal maximum vehicle height was 13'6" back when the original Interstates were built. I-90 through eastern Washington had a bunch of overpasses that were an even 14' that have since been replaced or altered to get them to 14'6".

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,429  

View attachment 733722
The problem is an arch like that requires that the arch go all the way down to the ground or have a tie across the bottom of it to keep the legs from spreading apart, as such you wouldn't gain any height from that. If they were to do anything they would replace the vertical supports with taller ones and move the bridge deck up.

Aaron Z

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,430  
Why can't you just dig the road surface down a few inches?

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
2022 Kubota TE4052T Hay Tedder (A33526)
2022 Kubota...
Western 8' Snow Plow for Skid Steer (A33349)
Western 8' Snow...
2004 John Deere 410G 4x4 Extendahoe Loader Backhoe (A32932)
2004 John Deere...
Meter Loop (A33041)
Meter Loop (A33041)
PREVIEW DAY INFORMATION (A33548)
PREVIEW DAY...