Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,041  
Rob,
My neighbor has that MDS 5.7L hemi and gets 35MPG hwy with his 2012. He averages high 20s in mixed driving. The most he tows with it is a trailer with 2 seadoos. Thus, all I ever see these gas sippers do is pull 'toys'. Nothing really against that, but the 1500's are too light duty.
There's absolutely no way that is true. Zero. Unless he means when he lets off the gas and coasts and watches the instant MPG reading. I've had a 5.7L Hemi in a Grand Cherokee and in the Ram 1500 and my son has it in a 2018 Ram 1500. Nothing remotely close to that MPG ever.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,042  
It's the MDS that takes the V8 to a V6 and then a V4. It shuts of cylinders while at cruising speeds. When power is needed, in 40 milliseconds the computer will switch those cylinders back on.

FCA's MDS.
The MDS system is a joke. Had that in two 5.7L Hemis. It barely ever activates in normal driving and the MPG difference is miniscule. I will say that it is seamless in its operation though, which is nice since it isn't very useful.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,043  
If your neighbors Hemi is getting 35 mpg than my V10 ford is getting 30. I think your neighbor can’t do math.
Seriously, is very sad how few know how to calculate MPG. Don’t know “miles per gallon” means “miles divided by gallons”, or even how to determine how many miles they drove since previously purchasing fuel.

“Math is hard!”

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,044  
I have seen pictures of vehicles with bent chassis like that and in each case the vehicle(double cab,4x4,kitted out for long range camping) was on a dirt track loaded to max weight and hit a pothole/washout hard due to driving to fast. A straight piece of track does not mean smooth.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,045  
I owned a 2010 Ram 1500. It was rated for just over 10,000lbs trailer towing. That's not really 'toy' class. But it certainly isn't as beefy as a 2500 or 3500. My current 2500 is much, much more beefy all around. It has a payload capacity of 3300lbs, and I have hauled just about that without issue in the bed. The 1500 was nowhere near that.

As for 'gas sipper', LOL! Only the light duty diesel in the 1500 can be considered that. The Hemi is THIRSTY!

Rob
The only way the Hemi in the 1500 gets decent fuel mileage is on flat ground without a head wind or possibly having a tail wind and not towing anything. My 2011 Hemi 1500 can get 20-22 on flat ground cruise set at speed limits, but for the most part averages 15-16 just driving and 10-12 towing a 14 foot landscape trailer with 4 foot parachute gate.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,046  
I like the way people diss the half tons for their poor payloads. They still often have a better payload and more towing capacity than 3/4 ton trucks built just 15 years ago.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,047  
I like the way people diss the half tons for their poor payloads. They still often have a better payload and more towing capacity than 3/4 ton trucks built just 15 years ago.
Most people driving pickup trucks never need the cargo capacity of the bed because they never haul anything. And a lot of people that do haul it is limited to a cooler, the kids life jackets, and the lawn chairs.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,048  
Most people driving pickup trucks never need the cargo capacity of the bed because they never haul anything. And a lot of people that do haul it is limited to a cooler, the kids life jackets, and the lawn chairs.
What does that have to do with payload capacity vs 15 years ago?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,049  
What does that have to do with payload capacity vs 15 years ago?
I was referring more to the first part of your post and not so much as the second part. Maybe I should of modified your post when I quoted it to help prevent people from having a pissing attitude because they referred to the less referenced part of the post.

And if I come across as being snippy I apologize. I am currently on day 10 of quarantine for immediate family member testing positive with me and my parents being exposed, and with good likelihood that both of my elderly parents will be dead by the end of the month.

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,050  
When you guys refer to 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, etc, on a pickup truck, is that referring to the payload on the bed?

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

TMG 3PT HITCH WOOD CHIPPER (A32908)
TMG 3PT HITCH WOOD...
John Deere 7445 Salvage Cotton Stripper (A33041)
John Deere 7445...
6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
Milwaukee 1/2-Ton Electric Hoist (A33349)
Milwaukee 1/2-Ton...
Panels (A33041)
Panels (A33041)
2 Yard plastic dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
2 Yard plastic...