I've been overruled

Wife & father in law say

PH = 7.0 Neutral
Nitrogen = very low
Phosphorous = low
Potash = very low

if they say it, it must be true /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Sewing grass #12  
So now you need to figure out how much fertilizer to bring up the numbers. Your local county extension agent should be able to help you with that. Your garden center might, but the county folks usually have more knowledge.

/ Sewing grass #13  
Find a farming coop in your area. I would get an official soil test from them. They will then be able to recommend what to put on your soil. Don't even waste your time trying to seed with that poor of soil. It's no wonder nothing was growing. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Sewing grass #14  
Richard,

You may find that you have to fertilize a couple of weeks before you seed. Then you may have to fertilize every 6 weeks. I have some land that I sowed grass seed and it gets very brown about every 4 or 5 weeks. I just have to keep putting on the fertilizer.

murph

/ Sewing grass #15  
According to sewing machine One nice thing about such a simple and adaptive technique, is that you can make these bags in any size to suit your needs. Are you someone who buys a lot of celery? Make yourself a long and slender bag specifically for those watery stalks. Do you need a constant supply of large and leafy kale? An extra large mesh bag should do the trick. You are the master of your own grocery shopping destiny!

Solid input to an 18 year old thread.....Thanks

Last edited:
   / Sewing grass #16  
It kind of depends upon what type grass you are sewing. My soil is jet black and quite acid. My only trees - Ponderosa pine.

Local Ag extension service recommended I sew with native field grass. It has become acclimated to the acid soil. So ...... that's what I got and it has established very well.

Normal lawn grass would require lots of lime and lime addition almost every year.

/ Sewing grass #17  
Sewing machine dictates One of the advantages of using such a basic and adaptable process is that you may manufacture these bags in any size to meet your needs. Do you have a habit of buying a lot of celery? Make yourself a long, narrow sack only for those wet stalks. Do you require a regular supply of huge, leafy kale? A mesh bag that is extra large should suffice. You have complete control over your grocery buying experience!

/ Sewing grass #18  
Huh? How did this 18 YO thread about "sewing grass" (AKA sowing grass seed) suddenly come back as a thread about sewing machines? :confused: Enquiring minds want to know!!!

/ Sewing grass #19  
I wonder if we should pre-treat for echo before sewing our grass.