Selling a house, real estate commission

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #31  
Lawyers, car salesmen, tractor salesmen, insurance men, politicians, bankers, realtors, (MOST) of them from the same bolt of cloth.....

Ive had to deal with all of them in the past....
That's a very low blow to all the good lawyers, car salesmen, tractor salesmen, insurance men, bankers and realtors (and there are some of them out there).

Reality is there is a percentage of people who suck no matter what job they have.

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #32  
That's because most of them are low people, read the names again and tell me if you ever saw any of them break a sweat for the dough they get....

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #33  
That's because most of them are low people, read the names again and tell me if you ever saw any of them break a sweat for the dough they get....
Depends on what you mean by banker. I spent most of my professional life working in banks, but in the back office, not customer facing. You would be surprised how much 'real' work goes on behind the scenes.

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #34  
So you have to break a sweat to be a good person?

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #35  
No.... you just have to earn it honestly.

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #36  
In general, if the home is right and the market functional, it will sell in 2 weeks all by itself.
(I had a co-worker transferred sold a house for cash while tapping in the FSBO sign - house right, right market - always worth a try.)

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Selling a house, real estate commission #37  
I've dealt with GREAT bankers, real estate agents and car salesmen.

Reality is part of my own job is considered "sales" and I consider myself more than good at, in part because I get to choose my customers. Just as you have to deal with horrible people in work, you also have to deal with some horrible customers. Ironically, one customer of mine now use to be a co worker. He could tell you about the time I was going to get into a fight with a butthole customer because his expectations we're over the top.

That said, recently invested some money, and yes, I will agree that there are some bad people in banking from personal experience when "shopping around" (just like any profession). That said, my line of work is kind of unique where I don't have to deal with homeowners, and that is the biggest thing I'm grateful for.

I've found that in life one golden rule to live by is due unto others as you would have done unto yourself.

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #38  
Grandfather in Auto Sales under his name since 1942 and I am still asked if I’m any relation to the business…

75 years is a long time in one location and also time enough to have generations of repeat customers.

Years ago I asked my Grandfather why he also listed his home address and phone on his business cards… he said for many the purchase of an automobile is often the biggest purchase after a home and the best relationships are built on trust… and home number and address is a good way to build trust…

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #39  
I would do some research on the agents before picking one. Make sure you get a selling agent, not a "listing" agent. There are some realtors out there that are very good at getting listings and then do very little to actually get it sold. They depend on other agents in the office selling their listings and then they get a share of the commission.

Doug in SW IA

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #40  
I would do some research on the agents before picking one. Make sure you get a selling agent, not a "listing" agent. There are some realtors out there that are very good at getting listings and then do very little to actually get it sold. They depend on other agents in the office selling their listings and then they get a share of the commission.

Doug in SW IA
There is a term that no one really uses today because it doesn't make anyone any money in marketing world when trying to sell ones services. It's called "word of mouth".

I can tell you for a fact in my own line of work that if you advertise on Google, and pay Google money for advertising, negative reviews can be removed.

In todays "time", everyone looks up the business on their phone. THAT'S what marketing people will sell you.

Ironically enough, the lender for our home and property (farm bureau, and we were told who to speak to directly) came to us by word of mouth from the selling agent of the seller of our future home and property, and the realtor of my fathers home came from my cousin who lived in the area. My carpenter who I spend God knows how much money over the years came to me by asking a friend who he used and could recommend.

When I recommend someone I would trust for work to be done on my behalf to others, my reputation is on the line as much as the person I'm recommending.