Selling a house, real estate commission

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #21  
The putative value of our small city house has tripped over 1 million, so discussion on selling has started up. All the houses around us have either been gutted with large houses built on the footprint and most recently they have started even digging up foundations and selling before the new house is built to give the buyers a chance to customize. Crazy! It makes thinking of putting money into the house, like updating the kitchen for example…why sink tens of thousands into a redesign when in a few years someone will just tear it all out. Watched a 100 year old frame house get torn down this week and no one bothered to salvage the old windows which were in perfect shape. Sad.

/ Selling a house, real estate commission
Crazy! It makes thinking of putting money into the house, like updating the kitchen for example…why sink tens of thousands into a redesign when in a few years someone will just tear it all out.
That's where I'm at now. This house has been a little run down on the inside but I never was crazy about remodeling when I was still working. I was down to just doing a cheap remodel of the kitchen but like my 87 YO neighbor lady (lives next to where I'm building the timber frame) told me...they will just rip it all out in a few years and customize the way they want.

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #23  
I bought a 1922 three bedroom home from the original owner who was 18 at the time they married and bought new.

Money for me was tight but my friends kept asking when the demo party was happening.

I decided clean, repair and refinish keeping all 1922 original.

Other nearby homes had gone through remodels with many several.

The original matchstick hardwood floors, built in hutch, bay windows, kitchen with high leg stove, bath etc... all like new including the double hung windows.

When it came time to sell it set a new high price record because it had not been molested... the kicker was I spent almost nothing compared to a gut and remodel...

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #24  
I am a licensed real estate broker in multiple states. This is always a very helpful forum, but I admit I cringe at some of the comments made here.

Real estate is a highly complex industry, much more so than most people believe. A good agent with strong background and experience is quite valuable in transactions which are often the largest money transaction of a person's life.

I just finished doing "recurring" training that is required to keep a license active. It was 81 hours long and jammed full of information and detail. Again, most people do not understand the amount of complexity that can be involved. Those hours were only to "refresh" a much larger body of knowledge.

I do not oppose those who sell homes without hiring an agent. It's a free market and that is free choice at work. There is plenty of business even when many FSBO's (for sale by owner) are present. However, history shows a high percentage of owner-represented homes do not get sold. And a high percentage of them are also overpriced. There is no good statistical data on how many of such transactions devolve into lawsuits. But it happens.

In my area, typical RE commissions of 6% for residential have given way to 5% now.

A good agent has access to a *lot* of non-public information. That information is very helpful to properly prepare, price, and negotiate the sale of a home. Your goal as a seller is to get the maximum selling price in a clean deal so you don't get sued after the fact. That proprietary market information (MLS) is quite valuable to achieve top sales price. Even highly intelligent and saavy operators, on their own, cannot access that data. So they are at a disadvantage.

A good agent has many contacts that have proven reliable. Contractors to do needed repairs. Decorators to spruce up the property to make it more appealing. A good photographer who knows what they are doing. And the list goes on-- escrow officers, lenders, home inspectors, etc.

What i have found is wide misunderstanding of what the agent actually does. The agent helps with virtually everything up to you accepting a written offer to sell your home. After that, the "baton" passes to the escrow officer (and others) to ensure the terms of the contract are properly carried out. The agent is still involved, sometimes very involved, but at contract signing the emphasis shifts to the escrow officer.

Suppose you sell your home yourself. That means you will represent yourself and interact with the public. (That, in itself, can be an ordeal.) Also suppose someone is now inside your home, looking at it, but has questions. Consider these possible questions, which could commonly be asked:

- Are the nearby schools good?
- The husband of a mixed-race couple asks: "How many other blacks live nearby?"
- Two parents say: "Our son will be living with us. He is a registered sex offender. Would you still sell to us? Will the neighbors object?"

And the list goes on. The point is, answering questions with the wrong answer, or in the wrong way, even if 100% accurate, may get you sued.

Finally, there is quite an advantage to have an intermediary in any transaction. Suppose a buyer, in your home, asks if you will accept $40,000 less if they pay you in cash-- no financing. However you answer, the buyer gets to evaluate you, size you up, etc. With an intermediary, you can collaborate on a response, also taking into account the proprietary data from MLS.

Real estate is fun and rewarding. If you choose to sell the home yourself, I hope it is a good experience for you!! Just do some homework and you can avoid the most common pitfalls ..... good luck!

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #25  
That's where I'm at now. This house has been a little run down on the inside but I never was crazy about remodeling when I was still working. I was down to just doing a cheap remodel of the kitchen but like my 87 YO neighbor lady (lives next to where I'm building the timber frame) told me...they will just rip it all out in a few years and customize the way they want.
We have more and more thoughts of moving and my wife occasionally talks about "we should redo this bathroom to sell" and I'm like, we've literally never looked at a house that we wouldn't need to remodel the kitchen (we cook almost nonstop it seems and really use a kitchen) and think most bathrooms are ugly, what's the value in someone else's remodel? I've looked at houses when buying and they're like "look at this brand new kitchen!" and I say "they should've left the old one so I don't have to pay for all these mistakes".

We'll do minor fixes (remove the ugly boxed fluorescent lighting above the bathroom sinks) but I'm not going to do any "remodel" in order to sell a house. If it's something we really want for ourselves and I think we'll be in the house long enough to appreciate it, I'll spend the money because it's for us, not for some ridiculous future sale value.

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #26  
When my dad moved in with us for good from Pa to NC, we used a local guy that my cousin recommended to sell his house in Pa.

Guy was worth every penny.

Didn't drive a Escalade, but a Dodge diesel truck.

Sold the house in less than 90 days (back around 2018 before housing went through the roof). Got more money than I thought he would for the house.

Guy redid some work in the house with the kitchen and bathroom, took care of a water line issue with the town and took care of the furniture we didn't want. Top it off, he replaced the boiler that his plumbing guy told him was hot water coil issue when I knew it had to be a cracked section (I installed it originally for my dad back around 1993). Even after mis diagnosing the actual issue with the boiler, he got the hot water coil AND boiler redone at a price that amazed me how cheap it was (would have cost me that much if I did it myself being I lived 500 miles away).

I took two trips up to PA to work with him and handle some stuff, but everything else was handled by him, and even for closing never had to step foot in Pennsylvania after the house went on the market.

When we bought our house 18 years ago, we used the same agent as the seller used (from my understanding, a personal friend of the seller). The guy was amazing as well and helped us in numerous ways, particularly introducing the farm bureau for the additional land buy.

Both agents I worked with I have no doubt they made money, but couldn't ask for better help, and again IMO worth every penny for how painless the process was and what they actually did.

I think I'm good at my job in my industry, and in turn I'm rewarded by my pay. Same is true for any other industry IMO.

When we sell, we'll probably use the same guy who sold us our house to begin with if he's still around (still is, although his main business is commercial real estate).

Like any profession, you have good people at their job (who love what they do) and you have a lot of not so good people at their job. The key IMO is being able to find the good people. Like anything else, most people who are good at what they do are not the cheapest people out there for their services. I can think of some people who are in Realestate I know personally, and sad to say, wouldn't touch them with a 10' pole.

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #27  
Another common misunderstanding is regarding "all the money the agent makes."

That usually pops up when an expensive home is listed then quickly sold. The agent bags a large commission for seemingly little work. Based on that one transaction, it looks almost like the agent won a lottery. But there is an unseen factor.

Agents must invest almost the same amount of work to properly market a home that does not sell compared to one that does. There is cost and expense to meet with owners, prepare CMA comparisons, take photographs, create marketing documents, create website pages, meet with buyers to show the property, arrange tours, hold open houses, and the list goes on. It is a long term business, and it must withstand doing work for homes that eventually never sell along with those that do.

How much pay does the agent receive if the property never sells? Usually $0. So all that time, cost, and expense goes down the drain. But the workload resulting in zero pay is not visible to the typical person contemplating whether to sell their home themselves or not. Just the seeming "high" commission the agent will receive if "their" home was sold.

It *can* be a lucrative business for a good agent. But like all industries, there are plenty of agents who struggle or fail entirely and go on to do something else.

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #28  
If it was easy money we would all be Real Estate agents and no one would ever leave and switch careers…

I know several that thought easy money who didn’t last a year… one is now a very good locksmith and said he never knew there were so many crazy people until he became a Realtor.

A good Realtor can make it look deceptively easy and that is why they are good at avoiding the pitfalls and the knowledge/contacts to close the sale…

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #29  
Market may be down but home sales continue... 2 on my little street this week.

Commissions are all over the place... some listing agents take less than buyers side and 2.5 each side is more the norm.

One property had been in the same family 75 years and closed at a significant price reduction but nothing really comparable to comp it... I do believe two years ago sold price would have been significantly higher.

In every case make sure it is offered under the terms you can live with...

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #30  
Lawyers, car salesmen, tractor salesmen, insurance men, politicians, bankers, realtors, (MOST) of them from the same bolt of cloth.....

Ive had to deal with all of them in the past....