Seafoam testing

/ Seafoam testing #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Seafoam seems to come up about once every month or so. Here is the first of a series of videos testing it.

Bruce

/ Seafoam testing #2  
My opinion, the Lucas oil product is just making the oil thicker. Depending on the engine, that might help with leaks or blowby, but I doubt it’s something I would use. Seafoam, I always look at it as last resort. I’ve got an engine running bad, give it a try. I’ve used it on small engines and it helps but I’ve never dumped it in the crank case. In the case of this Ford Ranger, why not try it just like he did? At that point in the life of the truck not much to lose and it looks like it helped.

/ Seafoam testing #3  
never use Lucas or STP, All that is, is thick high weight oil. I do use seafoam on the intake prior to every oil change (and our ours the smoke deal too). The one thing he didn't do was he needed to spray the seafoam on the backside (between the engine and the MAF sensor). Seafoam will destroy a MAF sensor right now.

Wife's Ford has almost 190K on it and it runs like a top and is always quiet and still uses no oil and gets good fuel mileage. Of course I change the air filter and oil and filter every 5K miles anyway. Oil is cheap. So are filtrrs.

/ Seafoam testing #4  
never use Lucas or STP, All that is, is thick high weight oil. I do use seafoam on the intake prior to every oil change (and our ours the smoke deal too). The one thing he didn't do was he needed to spray the seafoam on the backside (between the engine and the MAF sensor). Seafoam will destroy a MAF sensor right now.

Wife's Ford has almost 190K on it and it runs like a top and is always quiet and still uses no oil and gets good fuel mileage. Of course I change the air filter and oil and filter every 5K miles anyway. Oil is cheap. So are filtrrs.
How does it destroy the MAF?

/ Seafoam testing #5  
Certain chemicals degrade plastic.

/ Seafoam testing #6  
I've used Marvel Mystery Oil to some success in both gas tank and crank case. I think it freed up a stuck ring.

/ Seafoam testing #7  
I use it intermittently in my small engine gas cans. Non-ethanol gas and the occasional ounce or 2 of seafoam and I haven't had to clean a carb in years! Maybe it helps? 🤷‍♂️

/ Seafoam testing #8  
My opinion, the Lucas oil product is just making the oil thicker. Depending on the engine, that might help with leaks or blowby, but I doubt it’s something I would use. Seafoam, I always look at it as last resort. I’ve got an engine running bad, give it a try. I’ve used it on small engines and it helps but I’ve never dumped it in the crank case. In the case of this Ford Ranger, why not try it just like he did? At that point in the life of the truck not much to lose and it looks like it helped.
I've also found Seafoam to actually improve performance. I use it faithfully on all of my small engines. If it didn't cost so much I might add it to my vehicles. I think you're exactly right about Lucas. I just spent about $10 on a bottle for SO's car. Pours out like syrup. And I truly can't tell that it made a bit of difference.

Marvel Mystery oil is a standard for my old Chevy P/U. Lifters tend to want to stick after sitting up for a spell. Good stuff - been around for a lot of years.

Regarding oil filters, K&N have been proven to be far and away the best; Fram the worse. OTOH, you'll pay a premium price for K&N. Worth it? IDK, but I do anyway.

/ Seafoam testing #9  
K&N filters are not worth a premium price. Their claim to fame is the 'nut' to remove them. Hardly worth a premium price.

Champion Labs says they make over 30 private label brands such as Super Tech, Mobil 1, K&N, Bosch, STP, + their own Luberfiner and Champ. Keep in mind that not all models will come from same source and most come from China.

/ Seafoam testing #10  
I use a strong dose of seafoam (1 bottle per gallon of gas/oil mix) to decarb 2-stroke outboards. It's crazy how much black goo leaks out the exhaust afterwards. The stuff works great to break up and liquify the carbon.