SCUT's with backhoes

/ SCUT's with backhoes #81  
SCUT get backhoes because they're easier to use than a wood handled shovel. If the job is bigger than a shovel... get the proper tool.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #82  
People keep saying "Rent an excavator", but for many that is near impossible. My nearest rental place is 120 miles thru the mountains. I don't have a trailer or a truck to transport either. My TLB compact tractor can get most any job done with a little patience. I've owned both a Dozer and a full size Loader Backhoe and they were awesome. Don't need awesome now, I need a small competent machine that is easy to maintain and transport that will do the jobs I need done. It does all that.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #83  
Don't listen to the people that say these SCUT backhoes don't do much work or have much power. My BX25 will dig up stumps, rocks and other stuff that would take someone 2 years with a shovel. Even if it can't completely pick the rock up, you can get it out of the hole and shove it along with your loader. My opinion is SCUT backhoes are worth it more than a larger tractor with a backhoe, more work for your money. I also have a larger frame tractor and wouldn't put a backhoe on it, I would just rent something if my BX couldn't do the job. The people I've let borrow my tractor or I've done work for cannot believe how much work the little BX25 does.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #84  
People keep saying "Rent an excavator", but for many that is near impossible. My nearest rental place is 120 miles thru the mountains.

I do both, rent an ex and have a smaller backhoe. They really fill different roles for me. An Ex is an amazing machine, if I have to rip out stumps, cut a long new trail, really want to regrade a lot of ground. I'm getting someone to bring me an ex. Just take too long, too much wear on the TLB. But a 10-14K mini-ex has a lot of limitations too! They are slow, takes an hour to move from one side of my property to the other. They are devastating to the ground, planting trees in the front yard with an ex? No thank you, I like have lawn. They are single purpose, yesterday I was spreading crush and run with my small TLB, use it to flip my compost pile, move mulch around.. Tons of stuff, about which maybe 1/2 the hours are backhoe work. Now, if you're looking to dig in a footing? No thanks, someone bring me an excavator please, thank you very much. But I don't do much of that work, and I do a TON of "hunny, I got 3 trees today, can you help me plant them" work. A small TLB is the right tool for that job, frankly, you give me a stable of mini-ex's, full size construction backhoes, and a dragline, I'm still going to get the keys for the small TLB to do that job rather than any of the bigger or more special purpose equipment.

They exist (compact TLBs) for a reason, and it's not just for Harry homeowner to have the coolest toy on the block. Shoot, one more example, drove by my neighbors a month ago, he was out digging out a mailbox that got hit by a car. Which, in red clay, is a loveless job. Told him to put the shovel down and I'd be right over with the small TLB. And 20 minutes later, we had it done. But if I had a mini-ex? Ugh.. It's about 1/2 a mile to his place from mine, across lots of ground I'd prefer not to have tore up with tracks. Yes, I would have done it, and yes, it would have dug out the mailbox in one scoop (vs the 5 or 6 it took with my TLB), but.. Not the right tool for the job. And that's the point I'm trying to make, there are a lot of jobs around the house where a small TLB IS the right tool.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #85  
I do both, rent an ex and have a smaller backhoe. They really fill different roles for me. An Ex is an amazing machine, if I have to rip out stumps, cut a long new trail, really want to regrade a lot of ground. I'm getting someone to bring me an ex. Just take too long, too much wear on the TLB. But a 10-14K mini-ex has a lot of limitations too! They are slow, takes an hour to move from one side of my property to the other. They are devastating to the ground, planting trees in the front yard with an ex? No thank you, I like have lawn. They are single purpose, yesterday I was spreading crush and run with my small TLB, use it to flip my compost pile, move mulch around.. Tons of stuff, about which maybe 1/2 the hours are backhoe work. Now, if you're looking to dig in a footing? No thanks, someone bring me an excavator please, thank you very much. But I don't do much of that work, and I do a TON of "hunny, I got 3 trees today, can you help me plant them" work. A small TLB is the right tool for that job, frankly, you give me a stable of mini-ex's, full size construction backhoes, and a dragline, I'm still going to get the keys for the small TLB to do that job rather than any of the bigger or more special purpose equipment.

They exist (compact TLBs) for a reason, and it's not just for Harry homeowner to have the coolest toy on the block. Shoot, one more example, drove by my neighbors a month ago, he was out digging out a mailbox that got hit by a car. Which, in red clay, is a loveless job. Told him to put the shovel down and I'd be right over with the small TLB. And 20 minutes later, we had it done. But if I had a mini-ex? Ugh.. It's about 1/2 a mile to his place from mine, across lots of ground I'd prefer not to have tore up with tracks. Yes, I would have done it, and yes, it would have dug out the mailbox in one scoop (vs the 5 or 6 it took with my TLB), but.. Not the right tool for the job. And that's the point I'm trying to make, there are a lot of jobs around the house where a small TLB IS the right tool.

I hug my L48 Kubota TLB every time I walk by it, for all of the reasons above.
The L48 (11' hoe) is not really "small", but it is not big either, and is just the right size for my play/work use.
Even in my pure sand, I am now too old to do any serious digging by hand, and the sand often caves when digging, so it can be necessary to move twice as much as would be normal for a small hole.

Last edited:
   / SCUT's with backhoes #86  
To bad this would not work on a GC1700 series scut. I really do not know why it wouldn稚 work being it is rated 16-25 hp, must be the way the GC is designed.
612956A1-CE4D-4FC1-B48F-66773C666FF8.png
AC6076E3-7540-46FA-8D3F-5B8BFABD2DBB.png

/ SCUT's with backhoes #88  
People keep saying "Rent an excavator", but for many that is near impossible. My nearest rental place is 120 miles thru the mountains. I don't have a trailer or a truck to transport either. My TLB compact tractor can get most any job done with a little patience. I've owned both a Dozer and a full size Loader Backhoe and they were awesome. Don't need awesome now, I need a small competent machine that is easy to maintain and transport that will do the jobs I need done. It does all that.

Yeah the ones who say that are already experienced operators. All equipment has a learning curve and im not paying someone 200 bucks an hours to learn something for a job I need done to get NOTHING to show for it.
At least with my small BH I can take my sweat time and never worry about a time crunch-plus the tractor BH combination will be worth $$ for a loooong time. One of the reasons I bought mine was used ones and Im talking 15 years and older with 1,000s of hours were about 60 to 70% the cost of a new one. Plus the new one has a warranty and 0% financing.

I looked at buying a mini excavator first but-20-30k for something that has 3,000 hours on it and is 15 years old or older? It will sit in the yard for long periods of time cause you cant mow, or plow snow, or auger holes and so on. Moving dirt takes a long time.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #89  
To bad this would not work on a GC1700 series scut. I really do not know why it wouldn稚 work being it is rated 16-25 hp, must be the way the GC is designed.
View attachment 629279
View attachment 629280

I'm talking outta school here coz I'm pretty new to tractors, but I see 2 concerns strapping on a 3ph hoe to a scut or cut.
1: Forces exerted to the 3 ph when working the backhoe. Well, here you got some control, just take smaller bites, don't lift to much, just be kinda ginger with the whole thing.
2: Forces exerted to the 3 ph just driving around with it back there. You got less control there, gotta make sure you drive down smooth paths, go slow, etc.

Plus your warranty is kaput going the 3ph hoe route. Overall, I'd say it's just a headache you don't need. But hey, why not just use your tractor to tow around the tow-hoe thing you were talking about getting?

/ SCUT's with backhoes #90  
I'm talking outta school here coz I'm pretty new to tractors, but I see 2 concerns strapping on a 3ph hoe to a scut or cut.
1: Forces exerted to the 3 ph when working the backhoe. Well, here you got some control, just take smaller bites, don't lift to much, just be kinda ginger with the whole thing.
2: Forces exerted to the 3 ph just driving around with it back there. You got less control there, gotta make sure you drive down smooth paths, go slow, etc.

Plus your warranty is kaput going the 3ph hoe route. Overall, I'd say it's just a headache you don't need. But hey, why not just use your tractor to tow around the tow-hoe thing you were talking about getting?

I have seen one of these in person and if it was your only means to dig a few holes, it would be okay. The amount of flex/slop or just looseness in a 3PT mount would be a bad way to mount a BH. A SCUT with a factory mounted BH is a good machine for many home owners to have around. They have the additional mounting frames and were designed to carry the weight. A 3PT mounted BH would be a last resort if there were no other way to get one that is properly mounted. I haven't checked the warranty on any other manufacturers but I would not expect the warranty to be affected unless there were some other contributing factors.