Scraper blade

/ Scraper blade #1  

kas2960

Bronze Member
Tractor
CK4010HST
Hi All,
Just got my first tractor and a farmer down the road was kind enough to give me an old scraper blade he had sitting in the back 40. Besides the rust and the wear on the holes for rotating and locking the blade in being somewhat oblong (no longer round) it's not bad. I took my grinder with a stack of flapper disks a started to clean it up, and it cleaned up real nice. When I removed the 1.5" nut that was holding the blade to the body and lifted the body off there is "something" around the stud that I'm guessing is used as a spacer. It's "of course" the color of rust and does seem somewhat fragile, but i haven't tried to see how much. What is/was this?? Thanks

/ Scraper blade #3  
Well ..... my rear blade(Land Pride 3596) has a metal washer also but its NOT between the frame & blade. Its where you would "normally" expect a flat washer to be. So - I can only surmise that the "something" was a spacer, as you say. Perhaps for added clearance between the blade & frame to ease turning.

My OP manual say - tighten the hex nut tightly, back it off 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn and install the cotter pin on the nut. On my rear blade the "clearance" between the blade & frame is provided by backing the hex nut off.

I might think its some kind HiFax/nylon/plastic spacer/washer to facilitate turning the blade.

/ Scraper blade
IMG_0001.JPG

Hope this comes through ok.

/ Scraper blade #5  
It's probably not a bushing but a machined part. I guess you could tell by looking at the other side. Is there a hex head? The threaded bolt just holds the thing together but the heavier shaft (or bushing) provides the strength. Don't forget the grease!

If you want to make that blade a hundred times better, stick a wheel out back. One is enough.