Scored a one shank ripper-subsoiler

/ Scored a one shank ripper-subsoiler #31  
I have something similar with a JD 10B iirc. They make a 10" wide "lazer tip" which combined with a shortened top link will really lift a wide channel of dirt. Being hard clay soil, the shank was set way deep at 26-28"
After ripping , every trip down the field can be seen months later as taller and greener. No standing water after rains anymore. The water stays in the soil instead of flooding ditches.
On the to-do list is to make a shoe to bury cables, hoses and maybe even 4" drainage tile.

Last edited:
   / Scored a one shank ripper-subsoiler #32  
^^^ This and laying cable/pipe is why I'm building mine. I'm hoping to short circuit some run-off erosion and localized high land flooding.

/ Scored a one shank ripper-subsoiler #33  
Wow--that one is is pretty rugged. I could imagine the price. The attachment on the back looks like it pulls drain tile in but I'm not sure. <Snip>

I drilled down through the specs and it is for laying 50' sections of pipe, IIRC.

BTW, Nice refab on that spike! Wow- that must have taken a lot of hours and $ to do that all to it.:thumbsup:You should be very pleased with the outcome.:)

You should see the incredible ripper type things that huge tractors or even bulldozers pull.

I saw the guys on Gold Rush break a dozer's rear ripper(s), digging Tundra/permafrost. Couldn't believe the forces involved - made the dozer look like a toy!

Ground engaging tools - mother nature wins:confused3:

/ Scored a one shank ripper-subsoiler #34  
Ice is one of the best forms of cement. :D

Frozen ground might as well be concrete in some cases.

/ Scored a one shank ripper-subsoiler #35  
My Brother in law took a whole couple seasons to deep rip his fields. He dropped six shanks down three feet. He had 20 percent slippage but did the job. The root ps of the corn were way bigger in the fields he did and he had less issues with Jack of moisture. Also the stalks stood up to the heavy winds better. Now he was using a 350 hp tractor with duals all around. Only has to do the job once and it should last as long as you don't compact it. The areas around the gates get done every couple years still but the rest of the land us still good.

/ Scored a one shank ripper-subsoiler #36  
Gravity and water will eventually do it again, but it's not a short term issue.

I'm looking forward to spring so I can get ripping. :) I'm anxious to see how well my tractor can pull, and I'd love to be free of high land mud.

/ Scored a one shank ripper-subsoiler
Just thought I would toss this in about the current thinking on agricultural purpose ripping/subsoiling. The point of ripping is to shatter the hardpan created by traffic from equipment, etc. A few years back, the thinking was to rip really deep to get the job done and 24" to 30" was typical. That's all changed.

It is now believed that ripping only to the depth of the "plow pan" ,where packing occurs is all that is necessary or desirable. Further, going deeper only tends to invert the soil structure and does more harm than good because it brings up marginal quality soil. Around the clay ground here, where compaction is an issue, you never hear of anyone going more than 12" to 14".

Let me add that ripping is best done in the dry part of fall so the soil can be fractured better and compaction broken up. It doesn't work so well in the wetter times of the year.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
   / Scored a one shank ripper-subsoiler #38  
If I don't cut my clay layer, I'll still have mud in September.

My land has never been farmed, yet I have hard pan. How is that? Gravity, water, and time. ;)

/ Scored a one shank ripper-subsoiler #39  
If I don't cut my clay layer, I'll still have mud in September.

My land has never been farmed, yet I have hard pan. How is that? Gravity, water, and time. ;)

Thousands of years of buffalo walking on it? :)

Bruce