Scored a one shank ripper-subsoiler

/ Scored a one shank ripper-subsoiler
Sixdogs,check this out :James Engineering - Super Subsoiler.

I could just imagine the price tag ! :(

Boone

Wow--that one is is pretty rugged. I could imagine the price. The attachment on the back looks like it pulls drain tile in but I'm not sure.
In Ohio a lot of land is tiled with 4-6" tile and it is pulled with maybe a 3 ft
deep ripper that also sets the plastic pipe in the ground. Some is deeper.
You should see the incredible ripper type things that huge tractors or even bulldozers pull.

Here are some final photos showing how the stand works and how the lower cat I pins work on my Kubota L4300DT. The Kubota will easily dig 14 inches and that is enough to shatter the hardpan here. There is also a photo of where I just used it and you can see the chunks of drt and clay it rips up.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 695
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 337
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 667
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 550
Here's an update on this old thread. I have used this implement for a few years now and it has been so great I would like to strongly suggest it to others. First, I use it to rip along the edge of fields to root prune trees over the border that send roots into the fields in search of nutrients. I can see a difference in the crop.

Second is for garden use. You have to be careful there's nothing underneath but with my MX5100 or L4300 Kubota I can go 12" to 14" deep and there is a noticeable improvement in yields. More important, there is rarely any standing water in the spring and the ground dries out and warms up faster. I can get on it sooner.

Third is general farm use. One shank is not real handy because of spacing and fuel use but a three shank minimum would work like a charm. That would give a 30" spacing and with a "winged" point on it would be an acceptable spacing. With only narrow points the suggested spacing is 20".
In addition, with a bigger tractor and CATII, I have ripped out big rocks and pulled stumps I thought I would have to back hoe out. They just popped out.

Anyway, if you ever see one of these and think you might have use for one, buy it. I've only seen a couple for sale and they go fast. Single shanks sell in the $600 to $750 range used and the $850+ area new. The Deere ripper doesn't look as good as this one and I think is $1500.

Oh, the one in this thread weighs 250 lbs and is rated at 125 HP. For those who think you don't need a parking stand, you better be strong and quick because to stand it up and hook to a 3pt hitch takes a lot of multi tasking and four arms. :D

Last edited:
   / Scored a one shank ripper-subsoiler #25  
I have an older Taylorway single point that i've used for years, recently did one 5 acre field to help keep run off to a minimum being it's sloped & catches a lot of water.
After 3" of rain Sunday, i see it still needs a little work short of building berms, which would be a pain i think getting hay off it.
Thanks for the update & i totally agree, they are worth it. I ran a 3 pointer behind a 140 HP tractor for wifes uncle several years ago, he said bury it(24"), talk about rolling some smoke & then having younger nephews cleaning the rocks out, the field produced though.

Ronnie

Yeah, I went 24" deep in one area of an old debris non-farm field and it was quite a tug. We pulled up chunks the size of small garbage cans. No standing water now.

/ Scored a one shank ripper-subsoiler #27  
Next personal project on my bench after my tilt cylinder.

That thing's a beast!

How thick is the cross tube?

Next personal project on my bench after my tilt cylinder.

That thing's a beast!

How thick is the cross tube?

It's in the back barn so as soon as I get a chance I will measure it. It's pretty rugged.

The cross tube is 3" x 5". I don't recall the steel thickness but it's pretty stout. A quarter inch, maybe?